Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Junku] Current works~

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
vivin polycounter lvl 11
So, I have been slightly lazy these past few weeks. Decided to start a thread containing my current wip's and future work's in hope of kicking me out of this current funk phase :D

Actually, a post made in general discussion a few weeks ago has made me realise I have some really obvious weaknesses that I hope to challenge head on > : D

I really enjoy sculpting, but have always stopped short when it comes to texturing.

To keep things semi short, I hope to improve in areas outside of my comfort zone, and in turn become a more well rounded artist :D

Expect to see a bit of everything really, High poly/Low poly/ Characters/Environments Sketches/Finished works etc etc...

To start things off, a quick head sculpt done for some render testing. I actually prefer the raw mudbox screen grab funnily enough

SmsNN.jpg
elkbE.jpg

I modeled this low poly FFXII Judge about 2 years ago, with the intention of texturing him for some practice, but as always, I never got around to it XD

This is my first "serious" attempt at texturing. He is a little rough around the edges, but im slightly happy for a first step into new territory ^^;

hoX2p.jpg

Wires~
revUw.jpg

I might do another pass on him, as there is some dodgy seams and such, but I'm also itching to start something new (right after I finish watching this dota2 live stream) XD

Replies

• Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    boo you suck!
    ...all the way to the bank :poly136:

*works on device to steal sculpting powers*

also mudbox is for chumps bro (but you already knew that :P)
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    For your first "serious" attempt at texturing that's looking pretty sweet. Nice armour! Can't see any immediate problems with seams either.
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    Sweet textures! Imo needs a bit more contrast to make those carvings pop :)
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Very nice sculpt

As for tex - u did a gr8 job putting this detail into such low-poly. U have all necessary levels of detail - except biggest:

lil.gif

One more pass of biggest-forms light will add a lot of volume.
    As side-note, I added warm touches into shadow (vs cold light), some repeating of yellow material into empty shapes, and pushed overall colors (grey>blue>cyan) into eyes.
  • vivin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vivin polycounter lvl 11
    @Nizza
    haha, I dont mind being a chump, if it means being able to work with such an awesome program as mudbox, there I said it...mudbox is awesome! (totally waiting for zbrush 4R2 so I can jump ship again :P )

@Fomori
    Cheers :), Oh there are seams, I guess the screengrabs just hid them well

@Merecraft
    Thanks!, I agree with the contrast crit, I kept things very mid range for the values, I was aiming for a more softer painting feel, but I think some areas could definitely pop more

@Shotgun
    Thanks for the crit. The judge could really use another broad pass, I worked on bits in chunks, so its lacking in overall form. I'll experiment with some colder highlights as well, and see how things turn out :)

I did work on something new. Just a quick sculpt while watching the dota2 live stream last night. A bust of one of the heroes. His name is Leshrac I believe

mekOC.jpg

Any crits/comments/questions more than welcomed ^^
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    last one is super stylish- agree with shotgun on the judge critique- could maybe use to push some curves around in PS as well maybe bump th contrast a bit. You have some serious talent man.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah I love the last one, great sculpt. Really nice, very interesting shapes. Keep going, I'd love to see more :)
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    You get all the points for making that Leshrac. The redesigned characters for Dota2 are all so good.
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    dude had a look at your cghub link, really awsome flow and forms going on in your stuff. looking forward what you'll come up with in the future :)
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Amazing work dude :) This last bust has so much character in it with the bottom lip sticking out like this :)
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    the goat head is worthy of a full body sculpt
  • vivin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vivin polycounter lvl 11
    @Dan!
    Thanks man!, I do hope to revisit the judge as I'm not very happy with how he is right now. I'll keep the comments in mind :)

@Chrisradsby
    Cheers, I really enjoy sculpting stylized characters. Expect to see more soonish =P

@BrontoThunder
    Thanks!. The redesigns for Dota2 are really amazing. It gave me the inspiration to create my own crappy version XD. I still dont know what I'm more impressed by, the godly character work, or amazing environment work

@Kio
    Thanks :) The level of work might not be the same, since I'll be pushing myself to work on things I'm really not good at, but we will see =P

@Disanski
    Thanks man, Most of the character comes from the original design, so I cant take any credit for that XD

@Looprix
    I'd love to do a full body sculpt in a similar style... just need more time XD

I did some "quick" low poly texturing 2 days ago. I say quick, but I am amazingly slow at this. Model took around 1hour to model/UV and then about 8hours of pain to get to this stage
    551gl.jpg

I thought I would copy an existing model done for World of warcraft. Kinda like how you copy from master paintings for practice. Well, I consider bliz to be the masters of hand painting textures XD.

Heres the model I was attempting to remake
    uJDLZ.jpg
    As you can see, I got no where close -__-;

Heres the wires/texture sheet. Rather rubbish layout of UVs as well.
    5gxjP.jpg

I am constantly amazed at how hard it is to work with colors. Form = easy, colors = crazy hard XD

Oh well, I'm going to keep at, and hopefully my ability to use colors progress's beyond that of a child's ^^;

Any crits or comments are most welcomed, Feel free to rip things apart as well~
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    yeah i tried to work out some decent crits for you bro but kept coming back to omg +1 ass pat. sorry dude