Home Technical Talk

High poly question (3ds max)

Hey guys

I have a quick question regarding the way to achieve smooth edges on high poly models in max. I am modeling a gun stock, and it has several smooth square holes in it. I was wondering if i should chamfer the edges of these square holes or insert edge loops around them to ensure they smooth the way i want them to?

I did up some pictures in case im a little hard to understand lol.

option1cham.jpg
Should i chamfer these edges?

option2edges.jpg
Or should i add in edge loops like this?

Thanks a lot,
big

Replies

• MatthewS
    That really depends on how you are modelling your high poly. If you are using turbo smooth then adding the correct constraining edges should work fine. If not then you should probably chamfer them. If you are turbosmoothing though you might have some issues getting the curve to look right because it is so close to the other parts of the stock (i.e. the other hole and the top) unless it is a tight bevel in which case the super tight constraining edges wont bother it much.

To be honest... you should probably do it both ways (after duplicating the model) just so you get a feel of how both methods work, or don't work. It is really good to find these things out on your own as practice.
  • Visceral
    Have you tried turbosmoothing it and seeing what works out best?
  • biggest_kid
    @Matthew
    I am using turbosmooth for my high poly, but just wanted to know if either method would produce drastic errors later on before going any further.

@visceral
    After readin the above posts im going to go try it now.

On a side note, which method would u guys use and why?

Thanks,
    Big
  • Bart
    Don't be afraid to produce mistakes becouse this way you will learn more. Try out and experiment. Thats what this is all about. Try it both ways and see which result suits best.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Previous post pretty much nailed.

But I always avoid chamfer like the devil from the cross when I make my high polies. Try and chanfer something, and manually make it look like it was previously... yeah, loads of work.
    So just add support edges and turbosmooth that shiet! :)
  • biggest_kid
    [HP] wrote: »
    Previous post pretty much nailed.

But I always avoid chamfer like the devil from the cross when I make my high polies. Try and chanfer something, and manually make it look like it was previously... yeah, loads of work.

I was actually thinking about this before. If you chamfer an edge, you can easily make it go back to normal by welding the vertices at each corner. The weld tool brings each vertice in 50% of the distance in between them, so it pretty much puts the edge back right where it started.

So i thought using this method, it would be much easier to create a low poly from a high poly model, wouldnt it?
  • MatthewS
    unfortunately it doesn't put it exactly back to where it was... There is a way to do it but it takes a while :/

Turbosmoothing is a little more forgiving but can also take way more polys, so if you are on a computer that can't handle it it might not be the best choice. I usually just use turbosmooth.
  • Bryan Cavett
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    Someone asked for an unchamfer / unbevel script awhile back. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1061243#post1061243

There was a script posted recently that did this but you had to pay for it... Mine is free and has been up for over a year now.

I use it quite a bit

Download here http://www.bryancavett.com/maxscripts/unbevel.ms

unbevel_01.gif
    unbevel_03.gif
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I use both of the two techinques you mention.

However there is a third way. Put a turbosmooth on your model and check "separate smoothing groups" and set the subdivisions to 2 or 3. Now put another turbosmooth on your model and make sure "separate smoothing groups" is OFF. Set the subdivisions on this to 1.

This will automatically smooth all edges on your model according to which smoothing group you've got.
  • gsokol
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    I use both of the two techinques you mention.

However there is a third way. Put a turbosmooth on your model and check "separate smoothing groups" and set the subdivisions to 2 or 3. Now put another turbosmooth on your model and make sure "separate smoothing groups" is OFF. Set the subdivisions on this to 1.

This will automatically smooth all edges on your model according to which smoothing group you've got.

Oooooh I'll have to try this method out.

I'm with HP, A lot of times if I work from high to low, I'll just remove the turbosmooth modifier and spent a couple minutes removing retainer edges and use that for my low. Having chamfered edges here is a pain in the pooper.