Home Technical Talk

Artifacts in maya baked lightmap

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Crylar polycounter lvl 18
Hi, I'm baking a light map using mental ray in maya. But it has some ugley artifacts, it looks like this.

artifactsinlightmap.png

You can se the shadow of a tree suffering from these squear tears in the lightmap. And they apear all over the lightmap.

These are the settings I use in mental ray baking options:
Color mode: Only light
Normal direction: Surface front

Bits per channel: 32 bits
Number of samples: 8

Final gather quality: 10
Final gather reflect: 0

Fill texture seams: 5

I had the same problem with the Occlusion pass, but it could be solved by using a highter number of occlusion rays, this solution of course can not be applied to the Lights only pass.

Any ideas to adress this problem would be highly appreciated.
Thanks

Replies

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    That looks odd, what do you uv's look like. Can we see the map without fill texture seams.
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crylar polycounter lvl 18
    malcolm - Sorry for being so late to replay.
    I did try different texture seams but it didn't have any effect on the artifacts. But then I tried turning if final gather and found the artifacts are based in the indirect lighting rendered from the final gather and no setting seemed to change it. So now I'm trying to think of other more accurate render methods to create same luscious light map but with out the artifacts.
    But really thanks for trying to help :)
  • darkwox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have exactly the same trouble with my baked lightmaps, I can fix it a little bit reducing the fill seams to 1... remaining just a little line, how can I fix it completely?