Home Technical Talk

Normal map problems with mentalray rendering

I am very inexperienced with normal mapping and completely stuck at the moment. The problems I am having are:
1: at every seem there is a hard edge which is caused by the normal map. But in the viewport there is no seem. In the diffuse and spec map there is no seem.
2: I am getting weird artifacts which seem to be cause by hard edges while there are no hard edges. These also look fine in the viewport. I have played with locking and unlocking the normals, but this had no result.

NormalmapProblem.jpg

I am using 2 area lights to light the object and an inverted sphere for the background.
Rendering with mental ray, with final gather on.

If anyone has an idea how to resolve these problems, please enlighten me.
Thanks in advance,
Max

Replies

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Looks to me that MR is using a different repair than the viewport so the normal map looks flipped.
    Not familiar with Maya, but you probably have an option to flip the green channel of your normal map (+Y or -Y) in the texture node or something.
  • Maximiliaan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Noors for taking the time to help me. It wasn't the problem you told me, but when I was looking at if I could flip the green channel in maya I came to the conclusion that I forgot the put the textures to linear. Which was causing the artifects. So stupid that I didn't notice that sooner.

Anyway thanks again :)