Home Technical Talk

Bake ambient occlusion inside \ outside surface.

Hi! Help me please!
I need bake occlusion in Maya all objects in my model, inside and outside.
MentalRay or Turtle baked only outside surface. :(

File test: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10877913/Test_LH.rar

Replies

• Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    For Turtle:

Check all your distances - they could be causing errors based on the relatively small size of the lighthouse (modelled to scale?).

Also check your projection, what have you got it set to now; inward, outward or closest? If it's outward and the start of the projection is too far in the negative then it'll pick up the outside of the lighthouse and cause that. If it's inward and the start of the projection is too far away and the end of the projection is too far in the negative then it'll also cause that.

Also how are you baking AO? In turtle sometimes you can get a better result for shading by using GI or a light dome, both of which would obviously cause the inside to appear baked, but very dark (as in your picture). So if you've selected bake all lighting then it could cause that.

Quick question - why is this the first time I've seen anyone else here talk about Turtle? Are you using the latest version or still rocking one of the IL releases (oh wait they're the same thing, lol autodesk). Seriously though, 5.1 still going strong?

edit: I do believe I was talking about normal maps there for a bit.
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    Since your inside surfaces are fully occluded they should come out all black, unless you're baking them separately. I don't see the problem?
  • Silver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, it's problem in the distance, thanks.

I found a new problem.
    Inside cylindrical objects, dark edges repeating polygonal corners of the cylinder. What is it?
    I'm use mental ray.

Brendan, yes, I bake AO. You can read more about bake GI?
    I did not use additional light sources, only the default.

Maya 2012, Turtle for Maya 2012, I'm use :)
    You can try, used Turtle 2012 is not a problem.
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    looks like a smoothing group issue
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    yep, looks like an issue with the smoothless mesh - for the bake maybe smooth the whole thing a lot, otherwise you're going to get that because the polys are getting above and around each other in a jagged way.

smooth mesh
    bake again
    copy baked parts from resulting smoothed bake onto unsmoothed bake
    done

Or at the very least, grab all the vertical edges inside the thing, and normals - soften edges.
  • Silver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This problem was in check mark Reflective in parameters mib_amb_occlusion.
    Оn smooth the model can be seen the dark lines if turn on Reflective. I think, that with this parameter the model looks better, but I was wrong.

But, there is black lines at the edges of polygons to render them not visible.