Home Technical Talk

The most used program for creating organic models in the game industry?

Hey guys just as the title says i was wondering what the most commonly used modeling program is for creating organic models such as characters and animals in the games industry is?

And continuing on from this question, should i use this program to learn to model characters (at the moment i can only model inorganic models, such as props, vehicles, buildings etc)? Or should i just learn to model organic models in 3ds max (which is what i use to model inorganic stuff)? And why?

Thanks a lot,
biggest_kid

Replies

• maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZBRUSH DUDE! learn both, focus on solid poly modeling in max before, you can always build your models in zb and then retop... but I will advice you to learn proper topology and mesh flow in your 3d app and then add detail in zb.
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    mudbox is fine, too. i found its learning curve much more intuitive then zbrush. especially when using as a secondary tool, i always would go for a faster learning curve.
  • BojanStankovski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BojanStankovski polycounter lvl 6
    Mudbox or Zbrush, these programs are on the top for movie and game industry, for organic and non-organic. I would say, choose Zbrush.
    http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/
  • biggest_kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maze wrote: »
    ZBRUSH DUDE! learn both, focus on solid poly modeling in max before, you can always build your models in zb and then retop... but I will advice you to learn proper topology and mesh flow in your 3d app and then add detail in zb.

Ok just so im clear, poly modeling is like box modeling isnt it? That is taking a box, applying an Edit Poly modifier to it and modeling from there?

If so im already pretty good at that, but im a bit rusty because i had a break for about 4 months. So im going to model some weapons to get back into it, then start learning to model characters in 3ds max.

Thanks,
    big
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    You can model anything in any program.

ZBrush can both hard model and soft model objects, as well Max. All you need simply is the understanding of the tools.

If you have a strong understanding of how topology should be for the respective items, and how you want to open your workflow, all programs will work for you.

However, in industry standard, you need to know at least 1 full modeling app (like Max) and another sculpting app (ZBrush in this case). Both should be helpful enough.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    zBrush and Mudbox is really good for very fine and complex detail. Like organic shapes, decay, and damages and scratches. Root programs like 3DSMax and Maya are better for big shapes and precise shapes. It's down to personal preference. Some people like to have really basic basemeshes and then do all the detailing in a sculpting program before they do a retopo to get a clean mesh to project all the detail on. Others prefer to get it 90% done in their root program and then do the last stretch in a sculpting app. Either way works.
    Still, you really do need to understand basic modeling theory before you jump into the world of digital sculpting. Too many beginners make the mistake of thinking they can do everything by just brute force dumping a ton of polygons on a crappy mesh and then sculpt the hell out of it.

Can you show us some of your work so we can see how well versed you are in basic modeling? Grasping that takes a lot longer than most people think.
  • biggest_kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ill see if i can, i dont have many screenshots left in my imageshack anymore though.

sights.th.jpgoverviewy.th.jpghandled.th.jpgbarrelmm.th.jpg
    This is a low poly mossberg 590 i was working on before i went on break, its the only model that i have real wip pictures

quickrender2.th.jpgquickrender.th.jpg
    And this is a Warhammer 40 000 Space Marine i started before i went on break too.

(CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE)