Home General Discussion

Loss of Motivation

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Rexxigar polycounter lvl 10
I recently got out of a contract position with a studio where I did a lot of editor work, causing me to feel my skills and knowledge with the game industry have gone very lax. I want to work on new stuff for my portfolio, but feel intimidated by what I need to put out in the industry to compete. This causes me intern to doubt my skills and prevents me from doing work. I am some what confused on how I should break this cycle and what, what I need to know to be a successful environment artist. Would any of you be able to offer me insight and advice on remedying the situation?

Rexxigar,

Replies

• leilei
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    We should have a 'motivational loss intervention' forum. It's not just you, it happens to a lot here. Obviously speaking, procrastination can be the artist's worst enemy.

I know that sounded like a lame uninsightful response, but best wishes.
  • Mcejn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Get to work, now.

Nobody whips out fucktastically good art instantly. Takes time, hard time. You don't put in the time, nothing will happen.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    leilei wrote: »
    We should have a 'motivational loss intervention' forum.

Seriously.
    There have been 20 posts in the last month about this. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION. You can get results in on the first 3 pages. Stop plugging the forum with the exact same threads, which all get the exact same answers. Please look in THOSE threads for answers.
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I'm not going to rage AGAIN about why these threads are stupid and pointless so:

fuuuuuuu.png
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I think we seriously need a master thread for this issue. The first post could be how to use the Pomodori technique when stuck for ideas or using a Picke-Me program to randomly pick an image from an archive and for you to start speed sculpting it or something.
  • Rexxigar
    Offline / Send Message
    Rexxigar polycounter lvl 10
    I do apologies I didn't meant o make a fuss with this thread. It was just a problem I was having and was hoping for some assistance with it. So again I apologies for any turmoil this causes. I will look through some of the other previous posts on this issue via search.

Thanks again.
  • Jungsik
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Mcejn wrote: »
    Get to work, now.

Nobody whips out fucktastically good art instantly. Takes time, hard time. You don't put in the time, nothing will happen.

this.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    No offense but I never feel this way. There's at least 10 areas in my work I am actively trying to improve, and I just don't have enough time to do everything I wish I could.

I'm starting to wonder if 3D might not be for people who aren't motivated or passionate about it.

I'm pretty sure Jimi Hendrix never said "I don't feel like playing guitar".
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Suicide is the only way out!
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    From my experience

The more you practice, the better you get
    The more you try, the more you become familiar with
    The more you learn, youll soon have a huge database in your head of how to conquer almost any encounter, then go back to step one.

I was in a slump too and my thread is about 2 pages back, and the comments pushed me to try again and I pushed out my best work so far.

Im not an environment artist so I can't help you there, but really the only hard part for me is opening max for the first time, then im off like a rocket!
  • DEElekgolo
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    You know, I just heard of this like 5 minutes ago.
    Ill just post it here.
    http://www.seventhsanctum.com/random.php
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • makecg
    We can't help with your motivation problems. Realize that nobody can do the work for you . You have to work hard for what you want to achieve in life. Nobody can do that for you. so making threads like these are really pointless.

- also agree with ae.
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    I understand anyone who isn't able to see the right path because of all the possibilities and needs of the industry. The truth is that you just have to start with anything. You will find the way by moving on it. E.g. attend a life drawing course. That will push your drawing skills, fills up your portfolio and gives you new people to meet :)
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I sympathise, because recently I have been struggling to find motivation too and I have never had a problem with that before. I have been doing art stuff since 1988 and its only in the last year or so where I just can't be arsed even to turn on the computer sometimes.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Slum wrote: »
    reddit.com

ahah, this.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Ruz wrote: »
    I sympathise, because recently I have been struggling to find motivation too and I have never had a problem with that before. I have been doing art stuff since 1988 and its only in the last year or so where I just can't be arsed even to turn on the computer sometimes.

This.

I'm 27, and up until about a year ago, I'd be drawing, painting, making 3D stuff without a second of hesitation and had been that way since I was a kid. Now it just feels like a chore to even take out the sketch book, and despite taking breaks of a month or more, I sit down to do a project and get mindlessly bored after about 5 minutes and just go do something else.

However, someone recommended I read [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Art-Fear-Observations-Rewards-Artmaking/dp/0961454733/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313490458&sr=8-1"]this book[/ame] and listen to this podcast:

http://www.5by5.tv/b2w

and both of those helped somewhat.

This problem is very common, and very real, ok so some people don't suffer from it, but those people are lucky, and if it wasn't such a common problem among creative people, books and podcasts like the ones I linked wouldn't exist.

That said, I don't want to be an asshole but there is already 50 of these topics in existence already, may have been an idea to use the search.
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    No offense but I never feel this way. There's at least 10 areas in my work I am actively trying to improve, and I just don't have enough time to do everything I wish I could.

I'm starting to wonder if 3D might not be for people who aren't motivated or passionate about it.

I'm pretty sure Jimi Hendrix never said "I don't feel like playing guitar".

I'm pretty sure he somedays did. People lose motivation sometimes, it's not only because they feel that it's boring or that they're lazy, there are several reasons which add to it. I remember being unsure of myself before, I didn't know if anything I did would be any good and if people would like it. If your self-esteem hits a low then your will to work will dive as well, trust me on this. Also I think people need a goal which they're ready to fight hard for, just getting good at art isn't reason enough. (I for example would like to work in a larger company and be part of the games I love.) However, nobody can tell people what their goals should be as it's very individual, you just have to find it yourselves and be aware of how hard you need to work to get there if necessary.
    I don't think these threads are pointless but it would be good if you guys would use the search function more. Since there have already been a few more threads about this you will probably come off as lazy whiners(which I don't think you are). I hope you find your drive soon. Good luck!
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I sort of felt like this during my gap year where I was working on projects to improve my portfolio but I eventually got a job and since then I've been doing the odd job for them and working on my own stuff.

Without even realising it, I've improved a great deal just by modelling stuff I enjoy. So my advice is to just make stuff you want to make and you'll get better without even noticing.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Goraaz wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he somedays did.

Pretty sure he didn't ever.

If not writing or playing, he likely worked on his tone.

The guy could hear the difference between nickel batteries and alkaline. He had nearly a hundred guitars, and obsessively searched for new ways to create unique and different tones. He would float the pickup switch between pickups for a psychedelic sound, would experiment with stereo delays, distortion petals, amps etc, and even played right-handed guitars the opposite way, which would emphasize the treble equalization over the bass.

I think it's safe to say Jimi Hendrix never lost motivation. Just like Michael Jordan likely never got bored of playing basketball.

You simply don't get good at something if you're apathetic. And if you're apathetic about something. If it's a struggle and doesn't come naturally, then it might not be for you.

God there's like 3 classes I wish I had the time and money to take.
    Scott Eaton's anatomy class. Jordu Schells sculpting class, that Mental Ray rendering class. Heck, I'd love to do a lot more life drawing, and finish the entries from the last 3 contests I had started.

I don't get how anyone can lose motivation about something they love. It's like someone striving to become a professional athlete being bored of exercise.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I guess not all of us are obsessed.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    [HP] wrote: »
    I guess not all of us are obsessed.

I really don't want to sound like a Jackass, but I have to ask.

What's the point of doing this?

You'll never get rich being a 3D Artist. It's not a glamorous field by any means. You're not helping anyone, you'll work long hours. And likely be looking for employment on a regular basis.

If you don't love it, then what's the point? I see soooo many of these threads popping up recently.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I understand what you are talking about JacqueChoi.

There is always something around to keep you growing as an artist. The only block is your state of mind and how one perceives things. So if you have some time, look at art, draw, paint on a canvas, watch tutorials, look at a thread of art and take notes on how they do things, go to a museum, pick up a new software package and play with it. Take an old project and finish it, learn an engine, set to play with materials, learn lighting, improve lighting, different rendering, more rendering, composition, tech definitions... i could keep going.

There is just so much that you can ponder and learn and journey through. It's just a matter of one being curious enough. More often than not this is how great art is born.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Lack of motivation doesn't always equate to a lack of passion ,which is what is being suggested.
    Or even that you are not achieving a high enough standard. I am fairly happy with my work these days, but still am having a hard time getting back in to my work.

I think its always the case that when things are going well for YOU, it's hard to imagine that someone else is having problems.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I can understand being burned out. But unmotivated?
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I can't see why its so hard to understand, it's so easy to get unmotivated:)
    just focus on the futility of it all and the fact that we are all doomed, doomed I tell ye
    27538_119131811460395_6231_n.jpg
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Out of curiosity.

Have you ever worked with an unmotivated artist?

People that just aren't that "into it" and either mailing it in, or on MSN/facebook all day?
    Cuz from my personal experiences, working with guys like that is a drag.

I'd rather work with guys that are always looking for cool new things. Always trying new techniques out. Showing cool pipeline things, new game trailers, analyzing how things are done, sharing GDC notes, links to awesome art, etc. Generally an environment where there's a lot of highly motivated knowledge sharing happening.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well I have worked with a few, but it doesn't bug me so much as it seems to you, but
    anyway my advice to anyone is to take a good break from your work, go back and look at the problem with a fresh pair of eyes.
    Sometimes you can try too hard and lose perspective.

If you have zero motivation to even start or have have given up after 6 months of trying then, you are just being soft
    I spent around 5 years after coming from a background in wildlife illustration learning 3d and probably learning it badly. I probably worked around 12 hours a day practising for this 5 years and barely missed a day.
    My work looked awful for a long time, so it's worth just carrying on until you start to make headway
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Out of curiosity.

Have you ever worked with an unmotivated artist?

People that just aren't that "into it" and either mailing it in, or on MSN/facebook all day?
    Cuz from my personal experiences, working with guys like that is a drag.

I'd rather work with guys that are always looking for cool new things. Always trying new techniques out. Showing cool pipeline things, new game trailers, analyzing how things are done, sharing GDC notes, links to awesome art, etc. Generally an environment where there's a lot of highly motivated knowledge sharing happening.
    That is exactly the way I'd like things to be like at work. I seem to be the only one who's into such things. The other artists look at what I send them, say "huh... cool". Then move on. It really is a drag, and to be honest, I wish I knew some people in real life who were as into art as I was.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Stop depressing me guys, the only friends I have are the ones who like Jersey Shore, True Blood, and LoL, wish I had people to which I could bitch with about normal maps.