Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Textures...what else...

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
so yeah the hand painting bug has bitten me. I've become obsessed...woo..

so yeah I've been trying wood first and I'm having difficulty with getting the grain patterns. I've gotten big details but I just don't know how to get the finer grain that adds more interest and makes it less flat. Any crits or advice is appreciated and welcomed

wood2j.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Replies

• kelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now it doesn't look too much like wood, and more abstract instead. I don't think it's the lack of fine grain that is making it look flat. You're painting with a really small brush too quickly before you get the larger things done. It looks a bit like there are 2 planes and one is floating above another.

Try not to do your highlights until later. They are too uniform too, try to vary the size and describe the form of the wood. Not every edge and crack needs a highlight, and the same goes for shadow, or it could look too noisy. Also if you leave some falloff and shadows next to the highlights around larger edges, it will look more 3d, rather than putting the highlight directly at the edge. I did a quick paint over of your second plank with loose strokes. Try to paint loosely first, and then tighten up the details later.

plank_paintover.jpg

Also it's helpful to look at a reference even when you hand paint something and make it stylized.

3735097729_fd2a16fb3f_z.jpg

Hope this is helpful :)
  • Kyuzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyuzo polycounter lvl 12
    moved to single thread
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    With the grain, i usually just guess where abouts the different planks will go, and then start painting in grain with various brush sizes, this actually helps to bring out shapes in the wood that you otherwise wouldn't use, as opposed to sketching out where each imperfection will go beforehand.
  • Kyuzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyuzo polycounter lvl 12
    Made to bump this topic...
    up there was my first post on forum, but while post was approved topic gone down +_+
    stone0101.jpg
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kelli - damn thats a killer paintover. I tried to take some of your words into consideration for this one :)

giles - thanks for the advice man!

Kyuzo - normally I would be annoyed but I'm in a good mood so why not share the wealth. But you know you could just make a sketchbook...or another thread you know its not the same topic if its two different artists. And on the last blue one i'd say your stuff needs to be sharper if you want it to be stone. :)

Aight so heres my fourth serious wood attempt. I finally used reference (really helped!) and I think that this is an improvement. But ill let you guys judge that :p

wood4n.jpg

• Kyuzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyuzo polycounter lvl 12
    gibson543, kk, moved to my own thread,
    new try is good, but i think cracks need more work with light/shadow
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man, it's getting better thats for sure, i did a quick paint over for you, if you don't mind:
    ilikewood.jpg

1, This is your current wood texture.
    2, Using a brush i use for hair, and a hard 1px brush, added in grain to help set the direction of the wood and give some base detail and colour variation.
    3, Overlaying the the darkest and lighest colours sampled from previous image, (on a new overlay layer) to bring out the bevels a bit more, normally i'd spend a bit of time here switching between the two layers and getting nice crisp bevels. also used the smudge tool along each section to make the grain less intrusive and blend better with the wood.
    4, hard 1px/2px brush going over edges and helping to push the bevels more, also used a chalk brush for the thicker edges.
    5, added in some extra damage details at different angles and sizes, also repeated step 4 here to highlight the damaged edges.
    6, Colour balance, Brightness/contrast, hue/saturation and smart sharpen, because im a lazy bastard.

It's far from ideal... but i hope this helps
  • Next
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next polycounter lvl 12
    Hi i thought i would also do a little paintover to help u! :)

1. Urs
    2. I added moreless random rivets and tried to give the wood pattern sense on the sides and also normalised the lighting ...this sure depends if u use it as wall or floor but i went with a floor approach. also how the detail stuff looks really just depends on the art direction!
    -Important what i think is to overdo the highlight stuff on the rivets to make them pop.
    3. Really evil color overlay
    4. collapsed and adjusted everything to look right !?!
    5. More evil Shadow multiply on top to give more depth
    Done!

Hope this helps somehow
    this is really just how i do it...
    and if i would do it for real i would not do 3 4 just do it straight from 2 and polish it from there.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn thanks for the paintovers guys! time to get crackin on another one
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wood4g.jpg

so yeah instead of making a new texture altogether I just made the corrections on the previous texture. I think I'm going to move over to a different material now, and then come back to wood later
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    I think you could still benefit from trying a new piece of wood. The "cracks" throughout the wood like too deep/strong, as if it was stone.

It's also very uniform and boring in terms of color and light variation, so you should definitely play with that more. Also try emphasizing some of your highlights more to help them stand out.

Keep it up man, can't wait to see some more progress!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i made you a quick paintover showing how i would approach this piece of wood

i think you can go much much subtler. Hand-painted means just that - get in there and paint. a lot of people don't seem to mix it up much when approaching this style, and keep things very sketchy and obvious.

i changed the tone a little to get it a bit more orange. i felt yours was too far into the yellow. and i just don't like blonde wood :poly124:

i grabbed the predominant color and painted over your wood grain. i felt they were screaming at you and competing with the cracks, rather than complementing the wood. i use more gradients to imply the grain rather than just drawing the lines. light against dark will get the same results, but look much more natural.

since wood is such an organic material, you can have a lot of fun with the edges. i prefer to just loosely draw over the edge with a dark color and see what shapes and dents appear. everything is fair game. this will give your wood great character and a nice unique feel.

shading! if you want to make a pronounced edge like you have, then make sure it reads. you had your grain darker than the edges. you need to have the big forms read from a distance, and read when you have a whole wall/floor of these. So I made sure that the edges of the board are the darkest parts.

when it comes time to do the cuts, i lasso them out to ensure nice clean marks. i envision these being the results of an axe head or similar weapon hitting the wood - something inorganicly straight. this perfection helps differentiate it from the natural cracks of the wood, and sells the story you're telling.

woodpaintover.jpg
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    Sectaurs that is excellent I really like that style

gibson keep it up your getting there, I think you should think of that colors as creating different planes on the surface of the wood as apposed to just creating line with light and shadow on either side

great thread so far
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am polluting this thread yet again with what is hopefully an improvement. I think it is but it's still eh. Thinking about moving to another material besides wood to work on

wood6.jpg