Home Technical Talk

Maya 2012 slow selections

Scruples
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Scruples polycounter lvl 10
Veeeeery slow selections, especially in the UV editor and when selecting entire object shells, upwards of 10 seconds of waiting for view-port to update.

Been having this problem for about 4 months now, was hoping a service pack would come out that would deal with it, just installed SP4, problem persists.
Tried using Catalyst versions 10.5b through 11.7 (10.5b is the earliest that supports my card)

specs
Hd6850
Windows 7 x64
8gb ram
Phenom II X4 955

This guy has the same problem
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=996121

Replies

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    This is probably your ATI card, if you have the option try using an nVidia card and see if it fixes the issue. I don't ever recommend using ATI with Maya, although when I bought my Dell I could only get it with a high end ATI so I'm in the same boat as you. I am finding Maya 2011/2012 to be slow in general for doing lots of things. Seems like since they updated the UI to run on the GPU it's kind of crap, like I said tough I'm on an ATI so I have no comparison on nVidia yet.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    I just responded to a similar thread here. Try un-installing the Catalyst Control Center. I've done that on two machines now and Maya works perfectly with the drivers un-installed. Weird but true.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    It's been a while, but I believe their are third party drivers for ATI cards. Perhaps try using those. I remember doing so at one point a few years ago and it seemed to help. And yeah CCC always seems to bugger things up. I've been using Nvidia the past few years and have never had a problem.
  • ovigreen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to give confirmation; tried few tricks, until finding this thread. My attribute editor was open, closing it did the trick.

Thanks TeriyakiStyle for the info. Cheers.
  • ovigreen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks TeriyakiStyle. Closing the attribute editor makes the trick, when all the other fix I tried failed to improve the issue.

Cheers
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Cross posting this thread I started since I eventually found a solution if it's the uv editor problem. I noticed for my Radeon 5850 specifically this problem was solved in newer versions of thier drivers.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90002&page=2
  • Joopson
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    When I open Maya, it looks maximized, but it isn't. If I leave it this way, it lags like crizazy. Like, 5 or 6 seconds to select an edge. If I actually do maximize it, though, it works like a charm...
    Worth trying.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm wrote: »
    This is probably your ATI card, if you have the option try using an nVidia card and see if it fixes the issue. I don't ever recommend using ATI with Maya, although when I bought my Dell I could only get it with a high end ATI so I'm in the same boat as you. I am finding Maya 2011/2012 to be slow in general for doing lots of things. Seems like since they updated the UI to run on the GPU it's kind of crap, like I said tough I'm on an ATI so I have no comparison on nVidia yet.

Having recently-ish moved from an ati HD4850 to a nvidia 460gti (which apparently has terrible GL performance), I noticed little change in general performance, but not with selections. The latest driver updates did help a lot, particularly when moving the camera. Marking menus are MUCH more responsive on this card than my previous, I used to need to slow down my mouses' USB poll rate to get around that a little.

Scruples, I'd suggest disabling the Aero desktop and see how that works for you. If you have a large history on a mesh you're trying to UV, clear it if you haven't already. Is it only selections that lag out, or does moving the components behave slowly too? If you're running any background apps for universal hotkeys, capture, skype, etc might want to try shutting those down for a test.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    This is probably very unlikely that it would be the case, but have you tried deleting history on your object? I always get slow selections regardless of component when its got a lot of history on the mesh.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Update:
    I have since moved onto a GTX480, there is a very small amount of selection lag (0.2 seconds),
    on a 1-mil poly mesh which is acceptable, if a little annoying.
    @throttlekitty, I have had aero disabled ever since I upgraded to win7.