Home Technical Talk

Newbie UVW Unwrap Question

Sort of new to 3DS Max, or at least unwrapping for the most part.

I've had to do unwrapping for quite a few projects in school by now, but there has been something bugging me that some of my teachers and fellow students told me not to do. That would be "Flatten Mapping". They claim it a bad idea despite various tutorials use it ( 3d Motive tutorials for example ).

So essentially, I'd like to know why flatten mapping is bad. Or to people who might be TL : DR...

Why is Flatten Mapping bad?

Replies

• gsokol
    Flatten mapping isn't necessarily "bad," You just don't have much control over what it does, other than angle threshold and padding. The end result is usually having a bunch of tiny islands of crap that is difficult to sort through.

I almost never use it, unless I'm in a very big hurry and I'm just making sure there are no stretching uvs and I don't care about seams.
  • BlackknightMartyr
    gsokol wrote: »
    Flatten mapping isn't necessarily "bad," You just don't have much control over what it does, other than angle threshold and padding. The end result is usually having a bunch of tiny islands of crap that is difficult to sort through.

I almost never use it, unless I'm in a very big hurry and I'm just making sure there are no stretching uvs and I don't care about seams.

If it were one object, ( like a square object ), stitching would probably be the better answer to that wouldn't it? I mean, either way if it's a bunch of objects combined, I know the UVW map would be kinda riddled with pieces for texturing. ( Just trying to see if I'm correct in any assumptions. )
  • Eric Chadwick
    Generally, the less UV islands, the better. Less pieces to understand when painting, less seams to deal with, and less vertices when exported to the game mesh format.