Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Nature-y cabin scene

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Highelf polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys. This is my first project in UDK, aimed towards my main (and also first) portfolio environment art piece.

Latest version:

c0e463ba4dcba7e65e6b7e3aed1787f5.png

Screenshot-2011-08-31_22.34.44.jpg

Screenshot-2011-08-31_22.39.58.jpg

Here's concept art (WIP actually) I did:

U_proeneScene_conceptart.jpg

And a more fantasy creature:

anvilram.jpg

It's inspired by the story of Dick Proeneke, supposed to be a very natural scene, fairly realistic (obviously the animal is a bit fantastical). Might be a bit lacking in "story" atm. I was thinking of adding maybe something like 2 graves or similar. Ideas very very welcome.

I have a sculpt and low poly ready of the anvil ram, I will post pictures as soon as I get the bake done.

Replies

• Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the first WIP. The scene is still fairly empty, and the stuff there needs tweaks but I felt it was presentable enough for a thread so far to let the crits and ideas flow in! So by all means shoot. Specifically is the grass too bright or saturated? I calibrated my monitor but some people already told me it was way bright over there, and on my second monitor (also calibrated as well as possible...) it's pretty saturated and different.

<SNIP> Sorry photobucket turned out to be really gay, latest picture is in the top post anyway!

At the moment I'm mostly just fighting with UDK over controls and settings. And shaders.

Here's a grab of what I got for my main environment shader; grass and dirt vertex blending over a mask for better transitions, and scalar mapping on both with a unique normal map for variation. Not totally crazy and I probably hacked some stuff together but it helped me learn the basics of materials and shaders in UDK.

<SNIP>
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    looking good, I really like the concept art. I have a question, how did you get the leaves to light up under the tree so nicely?
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's basically just bounce light from the ground and moss roof. I'm looking into adding faked subsurface scattering to the tree leaves though.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Sick concept! I would love to see more handpainted elements in the textures, man, how many entry level env artists understand color like that?
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks I really appreciate that! I realised I actually posted an older WIP of the concept art, I fixed that now.
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some sculpts of prop parts. Here are a few. Fairly boring and unimpressive, but hey, has to happen too. :)
    woodbeamsprogress.jpg
    I like to add those hook shapes (although you can't see many of them in the pic) to almost everything I do in art, even realistic stuff, so I guess they are ever so slightly stylised.
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update

<SNIP x 5> again, photobucket = annoying! My bad sorry, I did not save the WIP shots. Latest pics up top.
    c73ea0059b245a733522455c1c7664f5

What's new:
    -well, chimney, fence, bucket, table props
    -redone tree leaves completely (handpainted this time)& new placement
    -numerous texture fixes
    -fixed scale issue, real world scale now
    -few more grasses and plants placed, but still test placement(nowhere near what is should be for small vegetation)

Todo:
    -About a million props, lots of small stuff (axe, knife, fish, tons more plants etc)and some large (2 tree stumps, a heap of logs) hammock(sp?), trough, farm props etc etc
    -Baking proper lighting for screenies (this is preview with dynamic stuff, it's a mess..)
    -redoing the well roof completely
    -making the tree leaves look as good from the side as the bottom
    -redo the dirt texture
    -add wet mud to terrain texture
    -redo ALL the rocks & bottom of islandy parts so that it looks more like my concept art
    -Try to have some sort of life in between all that :D
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The rocks in the concept look really cool, especially with the draping vines. Can't wait to see progress, looks really promising.
  • Zornx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe it doesn't fit your concept but, how does your guy get on the island? maybe he needs some kind of docking station for a flying transportation thing he made? with the plane-ish thing on it?
    yay more work! :p
  • Mister_Nice_Guy
    Some ideas:

- You could also try adding one of these windmills:
    Metal:
    http://www.pondaeration.com/photos/100_5271.JPG
    Wood:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/whiteafrican/622366987/

- A small water stream that falls off the side always looks nice and adds to the floating effect of the island.

Great concept so far.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Unless it's special grass the grass on the roof of the shack would never be green after a couple days. :)

Love the concept btw.
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zornx: Initially the idea was that it was like a cutout of a regular place (like a chart or graph kinda thing) so it wasn't ACTUALLY a floating island - but that might be a bit confusing. I did consider adding some sort of landing bay and even an airship, but I'm not sure about that yet. :)

Mister_Nice_Guy:Not really the same but somewhat similar to the windmill I was thinking of adding a foodstore tower thing just like dick proeneke built.
    I've wanted to add water from the beginning (would look amazing, and water plants are awesome) but I've intentionally avoided it cause its my first time in UDK and I'm afraid the water would take down the entire thing OR I'd just lose soo much time getting the water right (as I'm new with shaders - nor do I want to use anything from UDK content) That said it's still very much in the back of my mind so I might get to it eventually when I'm more comfortable with shaders

Gilgamesh:
    I've reffed that off the dick proenek DVD and images: here's an example
    http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/9708428.jpg
    In the DVD he layers the roof with a plasticy water resistant sheet, then puts tons of moss on top. I think the moss and plastic holds water so plants can grow on top and the moss is sustained, or something. Either way it looks awesome. (I still need to add upright grasses and stuff to the roof)

Some quick screengrabs from the raw bake of the anvil ram, some bumps here and there to be painted out but its looking fairly okay imo :) Crits welcome
    3248d0db7890e92932db2668c77a1e83.png

40005e60a34966d92de0a7a32fec0679.png
    9172c2f5a822a71f36fbca317089f78b.png
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Don't know how big of a deal it is for you but your sculpting is pretty shallow. You might want to put some more contast into the muscles and fatty tissue (bigger hills and valleys in the topology of your sculpt) right now things kinda ook painted on which will make the entire thing look pretty flat when baked to normals.

Given that this dudes just part of your environment though, might not be a big concern just thought I would point that out.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    jocose wrote: »
    Don't know how big of a deal it is for you but your sculpting is pretty shallow. You might want to put some more contast into the muscles and fatty tissue (bigger hills and valleys in the topology of your sculpt) right now things kinda ook painted on which will make the entire thing look pretty flat when baked to normals.

Given that this dudes just part of your environment though, might not be a big concern just thought I would point that out.

+1 to that, also if you are gonna continue with this little critter might I suggest adding some more geo so you wont have artifacts in your bake..its noticable in the butt area pretty harshly! I do suggest to go back add more detail into your sculpt (Right now he feels a bit blobby to me) And refine your edges alot (trim dynamic brush is your friend)

After that dont be afraid to do any sort of skin overlays in the normals in post by overlaying a 2ndary normal map texture and isolating the blue (mainly for the kinda fuzzy look you would see on a short hair animal)

example of what I mean

white_tail_deer.jpg

keep going with the skyisland!
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you two are right; I instantly found it hard to make the normal map even noticable in UDK once there was some basic colour splotched on top.

Here is my high res sculpt in ZBrush

anvilramSculpt.png

I think my main prob might be a too large cage, way too much decimation (I'm on a laptop and to get it in max I really have to kill some of the detail :() and too low geo on the body. I'm gonna go back, maybe use xnormal with a higher res mesh than before, and also add some more geo to the body in important places. Also I need to scale the head down slightly still cause atm it looks pretty silly huge. Cheers for the crits guys :)
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My new monitor arrived today. After some lengthy calibration and graphics drivers reinstallation, turns out my laptop screen was awfully calibrated. Hue shift of 30 off, and making everything desaturated (which is why my scene looked so so saturated and the greens were on the blue side rather than towards yellow)

Anyway. Did some quick altered textures, still some work to do in alterations but it is a ton better (on my monitor at least) now
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good thing you made me revisit that bake!

Here is the new raw bake. Minus a few obvious errors, what do you think?

anvilramBakeRevised.png
    anvilramBakeRevised2.png
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    I love the feeling I get from that concept. Try to push the lighting a bit aswell, it´s too flat at the moment.
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI: Cheers! I remember seeing that church scene a while back, it was very inspiring to me.
    About the lighting - might be a bit of an odd question considering lightmass does a good job at getting the bounce light done etc, but would you go as far as adding subtle omnis to control the intensity and colour of light (or shadow) at local areas? Bit like how you would light a scene in 3ds max for film production. Or should I really just keep to the directional light and all the setting that come with it?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    i think all the objects on the floating island( in the concept) could all be shrunk down. they seem to fight with the island for atttention.
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I will definitely revise the concept art at one point or another.

Here is some small progress, found the time to do some props today. 3ds max viewport screenie.

About half a 1024 (rest reserved for more props) spec & diffuse. Are the fish too phototexture-y? I heavily edited to get rid of spec & reflection information - most of the stuff you see in the pic is actual spec and a cubemap reflection in the viewport. Although now I look at it the diffuse defintely needs a level adjustment big time.
    Anyway - gonna bend and pose the fish into a believable dead-butchered position and place the props tomorrow.

Screenshot-2011-08-30_03.20.21.png
    Screenshot-2011-08-30_03.28.58.png

Here's a zoom-in on what this is for in the concept art.

Screenshot-2011-08-30_03.23.45.png

Other than that, I've redone the tree yet again (still not as good as I want it) and I've made a number more plants and bushes, and given the existing grass vertex color data to vary their color. Played with the lighting (and skybox) a bit as well - but it's not there yet. I'll post a pic tomorrow after fixing a bunch of stuff and putting the new props in. :)
  • Charlottje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin' gooood! Good thing you rake-baked, it's better than before. Don't forget to rake some more at the legs, they're feeling sparse on the front side (of the back legs).
    Are you gonna define the face structure more? Loks a litte blobby now.
    Keep it up!
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My new PC arrived today (yess!) which kinda foiled my plans for work today, as I was spent most of the day setting it up completely. The only thing I managed to squeeze in was some retexturing of the props after some good crits and refs given to me.

fishaxesknivespic.jpg
  • NoChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your concepts are sick good are you not interested in becoming a concept artist? I mean it's a tough entry level job to obtain but you obviously have some skills.

Edit: As far as the environment goes the proportions seem to be way off to me everything looks short and stumpy.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The fish texture you have is not accurate. When you harvest or "fillet" a fish, you cut from the gills, and slide the knife near the spine, cutting the meat of the fish off in one big piece. You would pretty much never see slices cut out of it in the way that you have it in the texture. And it's not like some fancy food network type of thing either, as far as I know that's basically the universal way to fillet a fish.

Scene is making decent progress, gratz on your new computer :)
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoChance wrote: »
    Your concepts are sick good are you not interested in becoming a concept artist? I mean it's a tough entry level job to obtain but you obviously have some skills.

Edit: As far as the environment goes the proportions seem to be way off to me everything looks short and stumpy.

Thanks for the feedback!

I am interested in concept art (and illustration) and heck, even the prospect of freelancing -- since I am in belgium, I'd have to go abroad fairly quickly to get a job. But I equally love 3D environmenting - even sculpting characters and whatnot, and I've put just as much time in it (there's just more technical stuff to learn there!) I might have some form of duality to my portfolio (although many don't recommend this...) Where I have projects with concept art and 3D realistation of said concept art, how painting carries over into handpainted textures (although I don't have much experience with this, but I definitely will get around to that.) and maybe start using more 3D blocking, to get the perspective of a painting right & have full camera control, and my 3D skills in general in my concept art (I don't do this yet) Ahh, I don't know, man. Tough portfolio decisions. Especially if I eventually try my hand at freelancing, I'll be able to use the wide variety in topic I think?

SgtNasty: very good point, I didn't really... think about it at all :D Bad practise. I'll look up some reference and learn how to fillet a fish (Oh how I love the diversity in knowledge, doing art stuff ), then adjust the mesh :)
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres how the scene is looking as of today, placed the props I made (although the axe obviously won't stay where it is :))

Had some fun with generating a cubemap reflection and using a reflection strenght texture map in my shader. (if you're interested in the nodes let me know, its really really simple)

Screenshot-2011-08-31_22.34.44.jpg

(Crits welcome - stuff to do in above pic; build lighting on props, fix opacity map & face normal on the fins, and fix the slices in the fish.)

Screenshot-2011-08-31_22.39.58.jpg

Still so much to do & fix, but having steady positive progress, which I like.

Question, I'm using SSAO post processing effect now, but is there a way to tone it down on a single mesh? I ask because it looks good in most of my scene, but really ruins the tree leaves...
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update as of yesterday. (New island)

Screenshot-2011-09-02_05.39.52.jpg
    Screenshot-2011-09-02_05.44.14.jpg
    Screenshot-2011-09-02_05.36.04.jpg
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'Llo everyone, quick question

In full flat sunlight my normal maps are almost 100% invisible, quite annoying. Is there a way to kinda bump them up "diregarding" the lighting a bit?

Here's an example, when turned, the normal map does appear, but flat on the floor it's totally gone

Screenshot-2011-09-20_05.05.33.jpg