Home Technical Talk

Maya perspective cam too sensitive, sometimes!

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Anyone else experienced this, sometimes my perspective cams are too sensitive. My current perspective cam works fine, but upon creating a new perspective cam I find the sensitivity of it way too course. Zooming in and out jumps large increments and using the wheel which is usually precise is now jumping 10 centimeters at a time?

Replies

• mdeforge
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Sometimes mine will get too sensitive or too insensitive to where it takes a ton of mouse moving to pan the camera as well. I just select and object, hit F to fit the object to window and then that usually straightens it out. I'm not really sure what causes it, but the move speed variables are probably dependent on what you have selected, otherwise you'd be rotating around the world center, not object center.

The new perspective cam thing is weird. Never experienced that.
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I doubt this is really related to your problem considering what you're describing (creating a new Persp camera?), but if you change your unit settings in the preferences from CentiMeters to Meters, the Persp camera movement changes accordingly (horrible to work in Meters most of the time, except if you're working on very large scenes).
  • Gilgamesh
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Make sure it's focused (select your model and press f) on your target as well as that can affect the sensitivity when you get close. Making a new perspective will have no focus target so will use the default.
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's the issue Stradigos is describing.

The F-key for Frame Selection will zoom the current camera to fully show your currently selected object (or entire scene if nothing is selected?). This also seems to center the cameras arbitrary rotational point to the center of that objects bounding box. Also it seems to somehow adapt the zooming increments by some smart logic, probably based on the objects size.

So in short, I also think start using the F key is the way to go.
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I hit F all the time, wouldn't have even though to mention that, as it's pure reflex. :D
    Also good to know it works on component selection, so you can focus on a certain part of a mesh by selecting a few components around that part and framing.
  • tharle
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    also i'd recommend using alt right click to zoom rather than the wheel. much better control and i find using a wheel a lot can make my hand ache. you can disable the wheel in options to force you into it too.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Um yeah, thanks for the advice, but I've been using Maya for quite a while now and am quite familiar with using the f key to frame an object. And I also know how to zoom the camera so thanks for that basic viewport navigation tutorial. Turns out the issue I was having is because I translated the camera the move tool from an orthographic view. I snapped it to a vert because I needed to place it precisely. That messed up the dolly/zoom sensitivity and hitting f wasn't an option since I need to place this particular camera precisely. The center of interest seems to be the attribute which gets out of whack and is controlled somehow when you frame an object. Changing the center of interest manually on that camera seems to help the problem.
  • mdeforge
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Malcolm, we didn't mean to patronize. I know you're a veteran. Based on your first post, that's just what we understood about the problem. I had no idea you had done all that stuff the camera.

Thanks posting a workaround. Nothing is more frustrating than not being able to move around in a scene or position things correctly.
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    i would love to add something or rather ask again :) im also having sensitivity issues when i move around. so is there a way to adjust the sensitivity? of course im aware of meters and cm, but right now im working with realtimeasurements. a castle that is like 100x200 meters. i already adjusted the near and farclip of the cameras. but i dont really like how it gets uber sensitive sometimes :)

thaaaaanks guys!
  • Blindness
    Offline / Send Message
    Blindness polycounter lvl 8
    Hi i found The secret is inside the camera. camera scale by default is 1.  if u work on a large scale u have to reduce a bit like .75 or .5 test it until u get confortable. i work in cm
  • mjalvindra
    Actually you just have to change center of interest to 1