Home General Discussion

Unlimited Detail

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
Some people may remember a certain video on youtube a while back. It was a presentation of new technology that would allow game developers the freedom of unlimited detail when making 3D assets for games, throwing polygons away for a point-cloud system.

There's been no updates since that first video, but very recently this popped up:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUuUvDSXk4[/ame]

I have very little knowledge on the subject, so I don't really have a real opinion. It certainly looks too good to be true. One question I have is how will they handle animation?

Anyways, what do you guys think?

Replies

• arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    yep, thats innovation.
    lower the quality, (here: level detail, not model detail)
    making a fuzz, dissapear, thus generating discussions over the world
    revive the fuzz to generate more discussion and attract business people
    profit
    ???
    release?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    They have reached unlimited levels of douche.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    shit.

You really just want to slap him the second he starts speaking...
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    "rock was imported from real world"
    file>import>real world
    OH YEAAH !
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    lol they really need to get someone to handle PR. Nice to see they are still trying though, lets see what happens when the mythical sdk is finally released :). My guess = no dynamic lights, no animations for point cloud models and no shader support as Im guessing each object is lit and textured on a per atom colour.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    so essentially they want to get rid of the low poly model. man, being new to the world of 3d, if by the time I end up with a job(if that happens) and I don't have to worry about high to low poly modeling and I can just go nuts, texture and import....wait....no low poly means texturing that thing would be a huge hassle right? isn't another reason you make a low poly is so there are fewer polygons to have to texture making texturing and unwrapping simpler?
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Dunno about this tech, we need to see more relevant examples like dynamic lighting, animations, shadows, shaders, etc... before you can even consider investing in it.
    Personally, right now it really doesn't look like something substantial and usable.
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    I'd be more accepting of this information if the speaker didn't sound like a stoned surfer with a fake Australian accent...

OMG Multiple shades of shadows running at 20fps!! *fart noise
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Surely the issue isnt with polygons. The amount of polygons are pretty high now. Just increasing them ten thousand fold is not going to suddenly make games look better.

Tesselation hasnt been all that, its barely noticable.

Ray tracing is where its going to be really improved, if anyone can be bothered to get it working.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    The whole "Import real life into games" bit made me pull a :/ face. Almost like this is a joke. I mean, sure, you import a real life object into the game and it will be high poly but we can't use it? Well we could just optimize it....

But I'll keep my eye on it. The fact that they're working on polygon conversion tools might be the selling point.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    They're constantly avoiding bringing to light the downsides of their methods, and just focusing on saying how wrong everyone else is.

They're still one year into not having given us a proper answer on how they'll handle fully skinned meshes.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    eld wrote: »
    They're constantly avoiding bringing to light the downsides of their methods, and just focusing on saying how wrong everyone else is.

Marketing 101 :poly142:
  • Octo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 17
    He should try to sound less like a salesman and talk about pros and cons objectively instead. I for one hope this thing takes off because It should result in better looking art in less time.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesus they totally don't realize that any polygon-based game they're showing for comparison looks 1000x times better because it had some fucking art direction?
    right now their stuff looks like chrome spheres rendered over checkerboards from the year 1993, all around terrible
    literally a pile of shit with unlimited level of detail on each part of it

+ lighting, animation and physics questions are still there too
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the accents really strong, even for me D:

But yeah, nowadays polygon count is very manageable, and alot of the processing power could be gone into better lighting and physics/interation technology IMO
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    I kinda have the feeling that they invested time in tech that will be bypassed by better shaders and rendering. making this pretty obsolete.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Some massive improvements since the last update. will be watching this.

always nice to see folks trying new things.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Bah, haters........

Looks exciting, no idea if it will work as an overall package, but ditching low poly and exporting your zbrush models as point cloud data sure sounds nice to me, as does scanning real world objects

Share the same reservations as you guys, especially about lighting, skinning and animating, but I am all up for people trying new things, especially as if it fails, sucks for them, not for us, and if it is the next big step, great for them, great for us too :D
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah. Ditto on the questions about the stuff "behind the curtain" and about its ability to do dynamic anything. The only thing I can remember seeing animated in any of their vids is the camera, and I think I saw somebody orbiting a point cloud object in an app.

All that said...even if it is totally static, its still potentially interesting for certain applications.
    This new vid is way better than the old, and hopefully they release this SDK to the public so we can see for ourselves.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still want to punch the guy in the neck...

Still don't have any tools to test...
    If it takes 4x as long to make a game with "unlimited point clown data" then that's a deal breaker.

Still doesn't show any physics or animation....
    If you're going to give players millions of tiny atoms then they will expect them to behave that way. Why use trillions of tiny points to make something look only slightly more rounded than a polygon model? Doesn't DX11 tessellation fix this same problem?

"But if you turn on cheats, and fly around to an area normal players can't get to, behind the model, you see its been optimized...FLIMFLAM! THEY'RE LYING TO YOU! CHARLATANS!!1
    " Exactly ass clown, why are you making the ground out of trillions of points you'll never see? Maybe using a plane that selectively tessellates the area around you using proven lighting and bump techniques to push the effect over the top? Maybe that will look better than rendering trillions of points you'll never see. Using tools that have yet to be invented.

Maybe the solution to mip and lod jumping isn't to make things out of atoms but to create systems that transition more smoothly. Maybe create systems that automatically lod materials and meshes on the fly so instead of 6 lods full of pops we have a smooth transtion... oh wait we have that already and he's choosing to show the worst case vs his best case...

Does anyone else find it mildly humorous that they spent the last year creating a polygon to point cloud data converter? It seems like guys that trash talk polygons so much wouldn't begin their new pipeline by relying on them soo much?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I just wish the guy wasn't so annoying and condensing. It's cool and from an artist perspective I'm just wondering how a dozen things are going to work, like texturing, lighting, collision, etc.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Is this a new Man VS Wild australian spinoff ? It sure has wines and jungle and stuff.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i think this thing, when really providint better performence, will find purpose in the fields the technology is from first
    -> medicine
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yuo need unlimited patience to watch these videos:)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    i think this thing, when really providint better performence, will find purpose in the fields the technology is from first
    -> medicine

It is because this thing will cure cancer AND aids!
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is just so impractical.

If we really want to see a dramatic improvement in visuals, companies need to focus their efforts on better lighting models. A dynamic polygonal object in dynamic ray traced lighting, at par with a software renderer, is more valuable than pebbles made out of a million voxels lit by a GL point light with some ambient occlusion.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    We just need 2 thing for the next decade before anything else.

Raycast/Indirect Illumination and Shaders with Radiosity and aren't limited to 16 texture samples.

Give me those, and I can paint an entire fucking island in a day.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Its kinda sad to see all this bashing of this video in almost childish manners. If you look beyond the annoying australian accent, the cockyness of the spokesperson you actually have a pretty impressive technology. I do understand many of you start questioning the lighting and all sorts of posteffects, but its not the case here as this is merely a innovation and not a fully fledged SDK. They focused on managing imense geometry and thats what they did. Now think that this technology could be implemented in other engines, then we are talking serious advencement. Its interesting to see their progress.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    20 FPS for millions of polygons with no LOD which the player/user won't see? How is that innovation?
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man not this again.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are just showing of the technology, Im sure nothing makes sense to you guys. You really think that they would optimize?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands wrote: »
    Its kinda sad to see all this bashing of this video in almost childish manners. If you look beyond the annoying australian accent, the cockyness of the spokesperson you actually have a pretty impressive technology.
    This tech works great at digitally recreating someones colon but it still takes a lot more than point cloud data to make a game. His "gee why won't the world crown me as king I figured it all out" attitude leads to some seriously negative reactions...

Speak how you want to be spoken too. If he didn't talk down to his audience, backhand the entire industry he's trying to sell his tools too and behave in an unprofessional manor he would probably not get such responses and might find a few more friends. People have alergic reactions to snake oil, not so much to the oil itself but to the people who peddle it and then peel out of town faster than you can say "hey this tastes like caster oil!?"

The delivery method aside, he's missing quite a few key elements to make a successful game. I'm glad they're working on it, but as any inventor will tell you, every invention even the successful ones are met with scorn and mockery until they prove themselves useful, especially if they aren't coming from someone that has a proven track record of producing the next big miracle invention.
  • equil
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    20 FPS for millions of polygons with no LOD which the player/user won't see? How is that innovation?

... in software mode? yeah, that is not that bad.

Im actually kind of annoyed by peoples lack of vision, wtf is up with the bashing? Yes, it looks like SHIT, the guy sounds like a douche, but... it looks like shit because of the lack of lighting and shaders, not geometry. Put lowpoly meshes in unlit mode with the same textures, see how it looks... If we replaced the polygons in an UDK game with this, it would look amazing. So..the technology obviously works, what remains to see is how it works with collision/shaders/animation/physics etc.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    equil wrote: »
    let's talk about http://www.atomontage.com/ instead.

much more impressive! I like how the truck leaves tracks behind in the sand!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Snefer wrote: »
    ... in software mode? yeah, that is not that bad.

Im actually kind of annoyed by peoples lack of vision, wtf is up with the bashing? Yes, it looks like SHIT, the guy sounds like a douche, but... it looks like shit because of the lack of lighting and shaders, not geometry. Put lowpoly meshes in unlit mode with the same textures, see how it looks... If we replaced the polygons in an UDK game with this, it would look amazing. So..the technology obviously works, what remains to see is how it works with collision/shaders/animation/physics etc.

And that's the big issue here, the things that make this tick also makes other things incredibly hard to implement, you can't just simply replace polygons in a game with this.

People get pissed off because he is selling the idea like a revolutionary tech without flaws, while it in fact has a lot, many of those which are too great to actually make this as flexible as todays tech is.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ganemi wrote: »
    It was a tech demo, right?

Plus, I didn't see any talking down. Just the description of the up sides in contrast with the old method's down sides.
    I see no proof that they can make a game with the tech they are showing off. No proof of concept. Then all they have is a medical digital reconstruction method that attempts to talk trash about the way people currently make games without understanding several key advancements that are about to hit the street... So which is it, is the guy arrogant or ignorant, or a bit of both?

"here you have a typical game asset, blocky, ugly and made out of these little flat things called 'poly-gones. What I'm suggesting is to use a bunch of these little atoms to build objects instead of stupid cardboard"

"here we have a typical house hold vacuum that uses a bag and filter that gets clogged. What you need is our new revolutionary cyclone technology that gets clogged in a different way..."

Same pitch, same douchebag attitude, same negative response from me.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    While we are on the topic of voxels and scalable systems.

here is a link to carmacks proposed tech.
    http://artis.imag.fr/Publications/2009/CNLSE09/GigaVoxels_Siggraph09_Slides.pdf
  • ZacD
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    eld wrote: »
    And that's the big issue here, the things that make this tick also makes other things incredibly hard to implement, you can't just simply replace polygons in a game with this.

People get pissed off because he is selling the idea like a revolutionary tech without flaws, while it in fact has a lot, many of those which are too great to actually make this as flexible as todays tech is.

maybe, maybe not. Depends on the pipeline or/if it was a hybrid renderer that could handle both points and polygons, or convert point geometry to cheap physics polygonal models, etc. We will see.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    oh you can render a mix of voxels and polygon based objects, such a hybrid solution is used in atomontage, but the voxels are used for static objects and the polygons are used for animated stuff. One of their demos shows a polygon model influencing the static voxel model, which is pretty cool!

here is the vid
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gshc8GMTa1Y[/ame]
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    so much assumptions about how game art is created makes my brain hurt. Not having to worry about millions of polygons for every single art asset is actually a perk for the artist, not a restraint. I can imagine a pipeline/game project where making a super high poly asset for every little thing is feasible. I`m sure in CG movies they only use high-poly detail where needed. much like games.

How does this tech work with textures? streaming? UVs?

I suppose this voxel tech would require some sort of 100% procedural texture method which doesn't really get me all that excited.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL wrote: »
    oh you can render a mix of voxels and polygon based objects, such a hybrid solution is used in atomontage, but the voxels are used for static objects and the polygons are used for animated stuff. One of their demos shows a polygon model influencing the static voxel model, which is pretty cool!

here is the vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gshc8GMTa1Y

This is what I'm talking about, this tech is young and might be feasible within a decade, it's been proofed and has a more robust ground working on how it works. I can get behind this!

I don't understand why people are defending Euclideon on their tech so dreamily in anyway or form, they literally gave us no specifics on the subject matter other then taking stabs here and there on how the game industry could be better if they got behind them, running in software mode can mean a bagilion things depending on the computer they're using to run what is the working behind it, Crysis can run several millions polygons on movie quality without a hitch if you plan on making a movie, calling new form of polygon creation "atoms" is just not correct, and comparing medical field of study and the software they use for games is just incorrect as my arse to the far side of Europa.

Let me make this straight, in movies, this tech could work, even be the next big thing for movies like Avatar 2, but how the bloody hell is this going to be a viable solution to games?

How much do you bet that since games are more 'sought' after then movies in this day and age, they just decided to give games as example instead of movies?

This the same stupid argument about why games can't have PTex all over again, it's not feasible, if it was, I'm pretty sure John Carmack would have been all over it.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    EVIL wrote: »

Yeah, atomontage is pretty nice, it uses polygons to display its voxel data though.
    Unlimited detail uses a per-pixel kind of search, for each pixel on the screen to display its data. (lots of which is instanced)

And yeah, carmack for one would been all over anything that would revolutionize video game tech, and he is with his megatexture work.

Even voxel-like tech is being used in many games today, caves in cryengine comes to mind.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    While I agree that the guy presenting it is a cocky asshole, it's hard to overlook the potential of this technology. Sure, he went off on a rant on video games, but as others here have pointed out that doesn't mean it has to be a be-all end-all solution to high detail video game graphics. While I personally, too, share the belief that this is not ripe for the marked yet, I am very curious to see where this technology goes in terms of applications and limitations, and until then I'll try to keep an open mind :)
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im with Snefer and Spudnik on this one. We artist should keep an open mind, we are visionaries for christ sake. As I see this, its a totally new thing that people fail to see the use in, if it shows with time that this is not suitable for games there are alot of areas this can be used in. But like all new things that sound too good to be true (and the austrailian guy sure as hell does try to oversell it) do get met with sceptisism, but i do say that it astonished me to see that not more than 3 or 4 people actuallty saw some potential in this :S
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I guess everybody's just bothered how he sounds like he's trying to explain it to gamers instead of developers. I can only imagine how fun the flamewars will be that this causes on certain forums haha.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    He also mentioned that you have to forgive the repetitive nature and overall quality of the actual assets as they're not artists, they're a technical company.

Obviously it's not finished yet, but I agree that it's an interesting angle to watch and see how it develops. It sounds like they want developer input when they are ready to receive it (he directly said they are excited to see what real artists can do with the technology).

There's just no sense getting upset over it, I doubt they're trying to offend anyone. All of the examples they give are legitimate downsides to polygon restrictions. It's always a bummer when you have to block off a vista or the back side of any object because you didn't have to budget to detail it all out accordingly.

Not that it's thrilling to think of how long that will make environments take to build...but it sure would look nice.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    I think alot of us are maybe worried we wont have a Job anymore lol.
    J/K
    I agree with one of the comments, lets see it handle animation, physics, and collision and still be playable real-time