Old (#1)
Hi all!
Been a long time since I posted here, mostly because of lack of time due to my new job.
But I have vacation now,so hopefully I'll be able to finish this before it's over!

Here's where I'm at right now:
I think I can call the highpoly more or less done.
Time to get it into Maya for low poly creation.

And here's a link to the concept by Paul Richards I'm using: http://www.autodestruct.com/images/quake4_door3.jpg (The one to the left)

Please let me know what you think!

Last edited by Disting; 07-24-2011 at 12:52 PM..
Offline , polycounter, 938 Posts, Join Date Jan 2008, Location Malmö, Sweden Send a message via MSN to Disting Send a message via Skype™ to Disting  

Old (#2)
Looks good so far, though a lot of the door grooves feel a tad bit more pronounced in the concept. The sides a bit bear too, but it's a WIP so I'm, guessing you haven't gotten to it yet.
Offline , polygon, 507 Posts, Join Date Dec 2010, Location Washington, DC  

Old (#3)
Good start. Some of the larger bevels are looking a bit soft though.

Stertman recently did a very similar door. It'd be a good idea to see his approach:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86451

-m
Offline , triangle, 439 Posts, Join Date Apr 2009, Location Los Angeles  

Old (#4)
Very cool man...I love this door! I took a shot at it a while back too. Its interesting to see how it is interpreted by other people. Here is the direction I went with it.

If I had any tips, id say watch your different edge qualities. Some spots feel a bit soft while others feel a bit sharp. I learned a lot modeling this door. Id say use all the views he made to make sure your scale is good. Its a bit tricky though cause when you line up the orthographic drawings, they dont line up perfectly so you have to freestyle a bit. But that is the funnest part!
Offline , line, 51 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Newport Beach, CA  

Old (#5)
Thanks for the comments guys!
Been sharpening up a few areas, and I remade the middle sections partially.

Last edited by Disting; 07-23-2011 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: changed image
Offline , polycounter, 938 Posts, Join Date Jan 2008, Location Malmö, Sweden Send a message via MSN to Disting Send a message via Skype™ to Disting  

Old (#6)
Remade the front "blocks" with the pipes in them.
Sorted out the "problem" I had with the sides of the door. I realized I had overlooked the boxy things that take over after the frame closest to the wall ends.
Also added some more details and fixed some bevels.
I also figured out how to render in Modo.

Last edited by Disting; 07-24-2011 at 05:27 AM..

Old (#7)
looking good man nice render as well. whats the setup like to render..i use modo also i need to start getting some better renders.
Offline , triangle, 342 Posts, Join Date Sep 2009, Location Atlanta, Georgia  

Old (#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr2764 View Post
looking good man nice render as well. whats the setup like to render..i use modo also i need to start getting some better renders.
Thanks!

I made a quick image showing my render tree.

Simply add an occlusion node to your tree and fiddle around with the settings. I also added a point light to light up some darker areas.

Hope this helps!

Old (#9)
Further tweaks and detailing:

Old (#10)
that's one solid looking door!
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,328 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008, Location Wisconsin, USA Send a message via MSN to n88tr Send a message via Skype™ to n88tr  

Old (#11)
Right.. I think I can call the highpoly more or less done.
Time to get it into Maya for low poly creation.

Old (#12)
Door baked.
A few problematic areas, but I'll sort it out.

Old (#13)
Started laying out a basic color scheme.

Old (#14)
Idk if you plan to keep that cream color but I love it. Very calm looking to me which gives a nice contrast to your first one looking bright and exciting and all.
Offline , spline, 179 Posts, Join Date Jan 2010,  

Old (#15)
This is coming along nicely and thanks for the MODO rendering tip.I didn't knew anything about that occlusion layer thing.
Why don't you model the low-poly in MODO?
Portfolio-Prop Art?? [outdated]
Offline , triangle, 319 Posts, Join Date Jul 2008, Location Gaziantep, Turkey  

Old (#16)
Thanks guys!
I didn't model the lowpoly in modo simply because I'm too comfortable in maya, and I have a good workflow making lowpoly and uv mapping there. I guess I should learn that in modo. :P

Here's a small update before I go to bed.

Old (#17)
Some more progress.

Old (#18)
Offline , line, 72 Posts, Join Date Aug 2010,  

Old (#19)
Started working on some wear&tear and some more material definition.

Old (#20)
Lovely, that's pretty awesome nice work, you're in an great place to start adding wear and a bit of damage, just don't go crazy and think about it logically and it should come out amazing.

Are you using emmisive materials or are you having to fake it with lights? The bottom light has a bit of a weird cone which is kind of odd.
(AKA Vig) Portfolio | Lab | Brawl | Decker |
Offline , Polycount.com Editor, 14,572 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Seattle, Wa Send a message via MSN to Mark Dygert  

Old (#21)
great job! I agree with Mark, the bottom light looks a little bit wierd. But anyway its an awesome job dude
My WIP Hallway

My Portfolio
Offline , line, 54 Posts, Join Date Aug 2010, Location Toronto, Canada  

Old (#22)
Very nice job. Can I ask why you did the LP in Maya? For the bakes?
Offline , vertex, 33 Posts, Join Date Apr 2009, Location Portugal  

Old (#23)
Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words!
The lights are emissive, but I've placed spotlights there to get actual lighting.

I made the lowpoly in maya, simply because I'm more comfortable with lp modeling and uv mapping in maya.

Right now I'm remaking the UV's, and so far I've increased the texture space with about 20%.
I'll start posting again when I've reached about the same point as I was before I remade the UVs.

Old (#24)
Really cool stuff and lighting.Is it from maya wievport or render?I think there is no problem to make low-poly and unwrap in MODO,especially for someone who at your skill level.I can say that MODO do things better and faster.
Would you mind to share texture flats when you have finished?
Portfolio-Prop Art?? [outdated]
Offline , triangle, 319 Posts, Join Date Jul 2008, Location Gaziantep, Turkey  

Old (#25)
Thanks igi!
I will definately try doing everything in modo next time!
Sure, I can post the flats here when I'm done.

Here's the new bake: