Home General Discussion

Ripoff vs Ripoff vs Ripoff (Zynga hilarity)

acc
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
acc polycounter lvl 18
So Zynga is suing a Brazilian competitor, Vostu, for ripping off FarmVille and several other games.

Vostu's response?

How could we ripoff someone who only make ripoffs?

It's depressing and horrible, but absolutely hilarious at the same time. Look through the side-by-side comparisons (link at bottom of article). Amazing.

Replies

• Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Can't wait to see all the suits who believe Zynga is worth 20 billion USD going down with it.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Interesting link hidden within that article:

http://www.sfweekly.com/2010-09-08/news/farmvillains/

Apparently, this is the train of thought their CEO lived by:
    "I don't fucking want innovation," the ex-employee recalls Pincus saying. "You're not smarter than your competitor. Just copy what they do and do it until you get their numbers."
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    Ya thats pretty hilarious. The big issue is that Zynga is a massive company and can afford an army of lawyers, I'm not too familiar with Vostu but Ihave a feeling they can't. Hopefully this will give Zynga bad enough press they back off.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After the 3rd rip off its called a genre...
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    meh they all ripped of pavlov anyway
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, it finally happened. The stealers are chomping on the stealees! This is going to be fun to watch.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    lets hope its the technological rapture.
    The first sign
    Terrible game developers will destroy each other over their lack of innovation!
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Gamespace will fold in on itself and be no more.
    Then I make Tetris 1.5
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    On one side, I want to see Zynga go down in flames... on the other, I have a lot of really good and really talented friends working there and would hate to see them lose their jobs.

Also.. after reading an article on Zynga's founder, I find it hard to hate on the guy considering his good business sense (even if it does result in crap like Farmville).
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    it all comes down to what the market wants, you can't blame people for creating anything because if it isn't played it wouldn't get so much attention anyway/ their wouldn't be new ones popping up.

I hate Zynga games, but i know enough people who love to waste their time on them.
    I imagine it's just a great way to stop thinking about anything and have a poor excuse that it's still a social activity at the same time.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Good article, interesting to see all the comparisons. I think Zynga put a bit more effort into trying to make the games look slightly different to previous ones though, like the kind of kid who copies a test but puts a couple of wrong answers in there. It would be a shame for Zynga to be successful though, it'd only be because they seem to be bigger and richer that they would win.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9

+1
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    You know, I remember hearing somewhere that in the US if companies like this DON'T try and protect their properties and ideas, regardless of where the original inspiration came from, then they could be shown to be neglecting their own properties and it may be used as fuel by the opposition in future court situations. In other words, what we see as dick moves may be necessary to cover-their-ass for the future. I may be misremembering/misinterpreting that though...does it sound familiar to anyone else?
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow..where do they get off, I mean..doesn't Zynga already have legal issues of the same variety?

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/18/lawsuit-filed-against-zynga-over-farmville-source-code/
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/26/digital-chocolate-suing-zynga-over-mafia-wars-trademark/
    http://blog.games.com/2011/05/19/zynga-gets-served-farmville-maker-sued-over-oregon-trail-use/

Makes me wonder what their ratio of actual developers to cut throat lawyers is.

I don't want to rag on them too much...A former coworker of mine just accepted a job there and I'm happy for him and all...

Either way, Zynga probably doesn't care. Its very much a business and they are after the cash...and they are definitely getting it.

At least they are getting a taste of their own medicine. They probably aren't happy that somebody did the same thing to them and is making money off of it.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    its a buisness who cares all companies are run like this.

Mark hit the nail on the head.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    ...I remember hearing somewhere that in the US if companies like this DON'T try and protect their properties and ideas, regardless of where the original inspiration came from, then they could be shown to be neglecting their own properties...
    Sort of.

Ideas can not be protected unless patented. In general, game mechanics are unprotected and anyone can copy them as much as they please.

Tangible assets are automatically copyrighted. Graphics, writing, code (etc.) are always under legal protection. Copyright is never 'lost' by failing to sue people quickly enough.

Trademarks are another issue. Trademarks need to be actively used and actively protected or someone can come in and dispute your claim to it. For example, Zynga suing people for naming games "SomethingVille" is reasonable.

But what are they suing for in this case?
    Zynga says that Vostu has copied "all of our key product features, product strategy, branding, mission statement and employee benefits lock, stock and barrel."
    It alleged that Vostu stole ideas for its games, characters and icons from Zynga.
    Branding, characters and icons are the only substantial things there and even then it's a pretty flimsy case. Lots of branding is similar and lots of icons are generic. Characters would be hard to make a case for unless they copied them wholesale; names, clothing, personality, etc. The fact that what little they could claim as infringement consists of things they copied from other people means they should definitely lose the case.

But when you've got enough money you can win any case you want.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    ahh. That makes sense.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I'll take zyngas part, even if I don't like them.

zynga-alleged-that-vostu-ripped-off-cityville.jpg

It would essentially being the same as copying angry birds 1:1 and then saying rovio was at fault for copying crush the castle.

(but then again, this is all depending on how much zynga actually copied themselves)
  • Tom3dJay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    I'll take zyngas part, even if I don't like them.

zynga-alleged-that-vostu-ripped-off-cityville.jpg

It would essentially being the same as copying angry birds 1:1 and then saying rovio was at fault for copying crush the castle.

(but then again, this is all depending on how much zynga actually copied themselves)

Are you taking this out of content intentionally? If you look at the other comparisons, is pretty clear that there are more companies creating this terribly look alike social games.

Is it bad? I say no, immoral? maybe, it's a little bit lame for sure, but you can do whatever to get the buck as long as it's legal, right?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Lachtan wrote: »
    Are you taking this out of content intentionally? If you look at the other comparisons, is pretty clear that there are more companies creating this terribly look alike social games.

Is it bad? I say no, immoral? maybe, it's a little bit lame for sure, but you can do whatever to get the buck as long as it's legal, right?

It's the different between doing it like gameloft, or doing it like a chinese company.
    One will play by the rules, the other will just copy paste.

It's not that they're creating the same kind of games, since you can't copyright ideas, it's when they're taking layouts and designs.
  • Julmust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SIM CITY RIPOFFS!

(done)

Why reinventing the wheel when you can make GAZILLIONS of dollars copy an already existing (and profitable) idea? Just wondering if anyone could answer this for me... I mean, disregarding morals, because the free market have already ensued that morals don't belong in the game of corporations.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    207976-willwright257538.jpg
    the true MAN
    others just follow ...

there are many other company (other than maxis) made sims game back then, but it executed in so creative way, that its really look so unique and high quality, like sim tycoon franchise, harvest moon series. all been made with lots of skills and dedication.

"I don't fucking want innovation," the ex-employee recalls Pincus saying. "You're not smarter than your competitor. Just copy what they do and do it until you get their numbers."
    that instant two weeks notice for me.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    LOL, the comparisons and repeated replication is ridiculous so anyone looking to play a new game of a favorite will ultimately just play the same game under a different title, how do these people make money like this and how does the public not know they are playing their same favorite games? but paying twice, confusing.

So much for copy rights.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm, either way, if this does go through, it will open a whole set of new doors for spamming the sue button.

I can already see this happening:

GamesWorldShop sues Cheers of Wars, for the 40th time!