Home General Discussion

Gameloft accused of illegal, dangerous working conditions

R3D
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
R3D interpolator
http://www.destructoid.com/gameloft-accused-of-illegal-dangerous-working-conditions-206334.phtml
Mobile studio Gameloft has been accused of overworking staff to "dangerous" levels, with a former staff member leveling some incredibly huge allegations at the creator of such titles as Asphalt and N.O.V.A.

"Some weeks I was working 100 to 120 hours a week," said former New Zealand studio head Glenn Watson. "Starting at 9:30 AM, going home at 2:30 AM, and then coming back into the office at 8:30 AM to start work again was not unusual. There were other times when I would be called back into the office at 11:30 PM by the studio producer, only to head home again at 2:30 AM. It was after I worked four consecutive weeks of fourteen-hour days -- including weekends -- that I realised I needed to resign."

Watson and anonymous corroborators have stated that the French headquarters would often manufacture false deadlines to deliberately create panic and frenzied "crunch" periods. One junior programmer allegedly worked a 24-hour stint to meet these demands. It is said that Gameloft told anybody who refused to work their "contractual hours" that they were free to go, despite the working conditions violating New Zealand's healthy and safety laws.
First news of team bondi, now gameloft, is this a popular unspoken trend in the industry?.

Replies

• megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Not cool at all!
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    It's like the industrial age of America before we established labor laws. People are just run into the ground at some companies. At least in America, if you're paid an hourly wage, overtime is 150% of your base wage. Salaried workers get the shaft on overtime, but they tend to get other nice benefits that wage slaves don't. But even still, they might be pulling 60-80 weeks if the company is badly managed. It's a given that if there's money involved, people in power will try to screw you to get more.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Look it's because we are making a game that no one has ever tried making before so it's part of something cutting edge, you're privileged to work here.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    >:[

Fuck you, Gameloft, and anybody else that pulls these kinds of stunts.
  • glynnsmith
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. I had a choice at the start of this year to either start at Creature Technology on a potentially short ad hoc contract or to head over and do "stable" work at Gameloft in New Zealand. After narrowly avoiding working(ie crashing and burning during the interview) at Team Bondi, this is the second time dodged the horrifying working conditions bullet.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I have that kind of feedbacks from other "big" companies too. Can't help but feel it also the salarieds who accept to be abused. First of all, if people were under labor union, there would be less of that shit. Then, why the fuck people accept such situations is beyond me. 120 h a week ? How productive could you be ? Are those hours paid ?
    If my boss call me at 11.30 pm, then, it's "fuck you, i rage quit". I'd rather like to wash dishes in some restaurant for a time.
    I don't know who's the fucktard who invented that stressing managment thingy, but it's madness and totally counter productive.
    A rush time to time, if you have compensations, is acceptable. But this is mental rape. Disgusting.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    I came across a pixel forum that has an anonymous list of developer reviews. Might it be a good idea to set such list up here? just to give possible employees that might have gotten an offer or came across a company a fair look into the actual studio? without being tricked into a poisonous working environment with all kinds of promises who are never followed up upon?
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    who the fuck signs such a contract without asking?
    i mean, i did crunch only once for 2 or 3 days and i work for 2 years here.

in germany law goes over contract and if you get fired you can sue the shit out of them
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    EVIL wrote: »
    I came across a pixel forum that has an anonymous list of developer reviews. Might it be a good idea to set such list up here? just to give possible employees that might have gotten an offer or came across a company a fair look into the actual studio? without being tricked into a poisonous working environment with all kinds of promises who are never followed up upon?

Yeah mean this?

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/index.htm

Also, chaosengine is also a good forum to hang around to discover rotten facts about companies.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we did talk about such a list here, in the end it was decided to not go ahead. There's plenty of independent information on the matter, without jeopardising persons on this board.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    [HP] wrote: »
    Yeah mean this?

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/index.htm

Also, chaosengine is also a good forum to hang around to discover rotten facts about companies.

chaosengine is nice if your in, which I am not, I don't know anyone who gotten in, so I can't pester them about trying them to get me in yet.

edit: so as a public list for all new comers to see it fails a bit. also, glassdoor is nice, but its a very general website, listing not only video game studio's. so its really tough trying to find the company you are looking for.
  • glottis8
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I heard that the IGDA was setting up an "IGDA Approved" sort of certification for studios - so if you see a studio sporting that badge you would know they won't work you into the ground or cut you out of the credits.

I would like to see a website that would just list studios and allow epmloyees to anonymously list the amount of overtime they work so you could just look and see the average overtime. Nobody is really honest when you ask about crunch in an interview.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I think there are some websites out there where you can write your opinion of a studio. I am trying to remember the name.
  • Acr0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acr0 polycounter lvl 5
    Sorry, but after being in he industry for over 10 years, I don't expect much from IGDA.

Sure they can host some great conferences and events, but they are pretty much powerless to effect change. Most companies pay their employees membership dues as part of their benefits. As a result almost all of IGDA's funds come from the very companies that break these labour laws.

I mean you think news like this and Team bondi would be front page discussions on IGDA.. but its all pretty much been ignored.. oh sure they want an "investigation" after the fact. But what does it say that disgruntled developers would first go to game news sites, rather than IGDA?
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    there are some fragmented websites and places like glassdoor and chaosengine but they are not very well known. It would indeed be nice to have a large website with lots of anon reviews on a large selection of companies.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's YourWorkplace.biz

Unfortunately it seems to be highly under used. Which could be because it requires a work email to vote, which is probably monitored by the company itself... Not sure if there's really any way around that problem.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    I lol'd at this:
    These deadlines, Glenn believes, were often falsely manufactured by the French management at Gameloft in order to encourage a frantic sense of constant crunch among its employees. He describes a number of occasions where deadlines would be given to the staff, only for them to discover after working hundreds of hours of overtime that they actually had several more weeks in which to meet them than they were told. “Many of the senior staff were becoming suspicious,” he says, “and wondering why their local producer wasn’t standing up for them.” The process became known as “golding” inside the Gameloft offices, a reference to being constantly told that they were under crunch time to make gold on the game.

I can totally relate to that :P
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    who the fuck signs such a contract without asking?
    i mean, i did crunch only once for 2 or 3 days and i work for 2 years here.

in germany law goes over contract and if you get fired you can sue the shit out of them

Having worked in Germany, while it's better than in the US, you're incorrect to assert that labor laws are never broken, or that it's so black and white to pursue your legal rights when it happens. It takes money to go to court, and it's very easy as the holder of all power (one of the few employers in games in a large country full of numerous people wanting to work in that industry) to bend the law and get more than you pay for, in a way that would be very difficult to get in trouble for.

Now go to a country with even weaker labor laws and you get situations like this.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Ya, it sure would be nice to have some better information before applying to new studios for job. As of yet I have not had job in the industry because I am still a student, but I would hate to move my fiance and I across the country for my first job that turned out as bad as these people had to endure.

Anyone have any opinions on if I happened to get my first job at a studio like that, would you stay there just for experience and to get your name on a AAA title or would you run as fast as you can?
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Gameloft putting profit margins over employee welfare? Shocking, that is just shocking. I am shocked.

They just seemed so idealistic.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Gameloft putting profit margins over employee welfare? Shocking, that is just shocking. I am shocked.

They just seemed so idealistic.
    Your sarcasm just made me moist.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    hahah awesome. in the words of my buddy "I'm glad the horn of gondor is finally being blown on these cunts"

glad to hear it isnt bad at the montreal one. Its always hilarious when this kind of stuff is exposed and then the parent company acts all horrified and appalled when in most cases they were fully aware of the conditions and probably contributing directly to them. then they act all shocked and disgusted and distances themselves from that branch.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya, it sure would be nice to have some better information before applying to new studios for job. As of yet I have not had job in the industry because I am still a student, but I would hate to move my fiance and I across the country for my first job that turned out as bad as these people had to endure.

Anyone have any opinions on if I happened to get my first job at a studio like that, would you stay there just for experience and to get your name on a AAA title or would you run as fast as you can?

The best advice is try to get a job in a location where there are plenty of other studios, so you're not stuck at the only show in town in a bad situation. I wouldn't up and quit unless I had another job lined up already, unless it was really, really bad. But you always need to have a plan B in the games industry. Layoffs or poor working conditions are all too common.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    from my casual observance there's a flip side as well, in the US at least: areas full of studios have such a large concentration of workers that there's really no reason to hire anyone full time. You don't have to pay contractors benefits or give them vacation time as long as you don't employ them an entire year.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Saw this on Hourence's twetter http://ilovecrunch.co.uk/
  • Vysuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vysuki polycounter lvl 9
    Whilst a good well established employment review anon site may sound good, it'll also be open for massive abuse.
    Company A doesn't want B stealing good applicants so lleaves bad reviews
    Company C is releasing a game in 6-8 months at a similar time frame of another similar game, leave a bad review and hope to stunt their workforce.

Perhaps I'm just seeing the bad possibilities, not sure if companies would do this or not tho.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    My Gameloft experience was pretty good actually. We did just a healthy lil bit of overtime, weekend overtime was optional and well paid. The producers stood for us and we were all good friends. The studio closed down last year, I don't know if it's related to this kind of expectancy from the HQ, since the producers would NEVER impose those working conditions onto us. I worked on Gameloft Buenos Aires btw.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need valid company emails to post there anonymously. I.e. you create an account, validate it through the company email, and then make your posts off site.

right and you're going to take time to moderate this during crunch breaks right?

The way I look at it, the games industry and the movie industry are slowly becoming the same size, and talent hires flit between the two. Some blockbuster games make more money than blockbuster movies.

So what don't they have in common?

Unions.

The movie industry has very strong unions that can defend workers rights. If someone had the balls to do it in the movie and TV industries, why not games?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    hawken wrote: »
    So what don't they have in common?

Unions.

The movie industry has very strong unions that can defend workers rights. If someone had the balls to do it in the movie and TV industries, why not games?

I was not aware that VFX had unions...
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ I think its a shame that 'Gameloft' are getting attacked over this as a whole.

It could very well be that its just Gameloft in NZ that's run by M.Bison's, and the other Gameloft studios in north america are running fairly and smoothly.
  • glottis8
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ I think its a shame that 'Gameloft' are getting attacked over this as a whole.

It could very well be that its just Gameloft in NZ that's run by M.Bison's, and the other Gameloft studios in north america are running fairly and smoothly.

Perhaps, but if the other studios recieve orders from the same people in France, the situation could be similar at those places as all.

Some polycounters have said that the Montreal studio has the same crap, polycounters who work there. Unreasonable deadlines from the France HQ, deadlines that end up being fake milestones...
  • Hamish Bode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

I just read about this a couple of days ago and I too am one of the people that dodged the Gameloft Auckland bullet. I don't know much about the conditions there other than that people I know who worked there have left and weren't at all happy with the environment.

Just for a bit of perspective, the game development scene in Auckland is just starting out so the talent that got snapped up (and I guess the studio as a whole) were really trying to prove themselves as this is by far the biggest opportunity most New Zealanders have had.

I hate that this is a trend in the industry. Is there anything we can do about it?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a tricky one.
    The problem is that there'll always be people to fill the ranks of developers from somewhere as any kid with a PC in his bedroom can knock together a portfolio if not an entire game. And beyond him there'll always be a Chinese kid who'll do it for less pay.

That, as I understand it at least, is the problem with trying to unionise or start a digital artists guild or whatever. There's no real way for such a thing to gain any traction with so many folks who'd just be happy to have a job in games or film effects. To achieve anything I'd imagine there'd have to be some kind of mass uprising right across both industries and beyond that to eduational institutions and individuals - folks across the world downing styluses and saying "Right. No more work until we get this shit sorted". I can't imagine that such a thing could ever really feasibly occur.

I suppose a step forward at least would be to get together a group of developers who'll actually argue for the rights of workers. You know, what the IGDA is supposed to do. It's debatable whether they'd have much impact without the power to call strikes and whatnot behind them, but realistically it's probably all that can be done.

That's my perspective at least. Lord knows there are better people to speculate on this sort of thing than me.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    It's a tricky one.
    The problem is that there'll always be people to fill the ranks of developers from somewhere as any kid with a PC in his bedroom can knock together a portfolio if not an entire game. And beyond him there'll always be a Chinese kid who'll do it for less pay.

That, as I understand it at least, is the problem with trying to unionise or start a digital artists guild or whatever. There's no real way for such a thing to gain any traction with so many folks who'd just be happy to have a job in games or film effects. To achieve anything I'd imagine there'd have to be some kind of mass uprising right across both industries and beyond that to eduational institutions and individuals - folks across the world downing styluses and saying "Right. No more work until we get this shit sorted". I can't imagine that such a thing could ever really feasibly occur.

I suppose a step forward at least would be to get together a group of developers who'll actually argue for the rights of workers. You know, what the IGDA is supposed to do. It's debatable whether they'd have much impact without the power to call strikes and whatnot behind them, but realistically it's probably all that can be done.

That's my perspective at least. Lord knows there are better people to speculate on this sort of thing than me.

Unions do a lot more than call strikes.

For example, the electrician's union, IBEW, has a market recovery fund. Every member of the union pays a small percentage of their wages into the fund.

The market recovery fund is used to help union contractors (companies that hire union employees) to bid on jobs. This allows the union contractors to compete with low-ball non-union companies.

A union of videogame artists could create a fund that would offer start-ups funding to create demos or full games. This would be conditional on hiring members of the union, of course.

Imagine you are a small start-up looking for workers and funding. You go to the union, apply for assistance from the fund, and get a head start on developing your game.

The union could also organize experienced artists who are unemployed to assist start-ups. A fund of knowledge that could be paired with a market recovery fund.

Another service a union could offer is an apprenticeship program. Currently, students are paying over $100, 000 for a two-year course. The union could organize its own training program for a fraction of that price and the money paid by students could contribute to the market recovery fund. The union could offer a five-year apprenticeship program where an apprentice would work most of the year and then go back to school for a few months until they became a journeyman.

If you were a student, would you rather pay $100,000 for a two-year course or $25,000 (a completely made up figure) for a five year apprenticeship program where you were working for ten months out of the year. The time spent working would keep you out of the crushing debt most students now have AND you would be getting real experience.

As an employer, would you rather hire somebody who sat in school for two years or someone who was tested in the workplace for five years?

Just a few ideas of what a union could offer artists and the videogame industry.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I'm quite socialist in terms of my political bias, but even I think unions are complete crap.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Explain your opinion then. This blunt "unions are bad" stance is all we ever get whenever anyone brings up the concept.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ive heard unions are bad because if studio A has been bad to its artists then artists at studio B C and D could all be encouraged to take actions eg strike or whatever, effectively crippling their places of employment for something that their employer has no power over and can take no responsibility for.

I think we just need more comprehensive labor laws which say that companies cannot add loop holes like "reasonable unpaid overtime" to their contracts
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Don't know much about unions, but unless a lot of people working these crazy hour weeks come forward and say "unions are bad" then perhaps they are something that's needed.

Or if there's a solution that's better than this simple tattletaling I keep reading on websites that'd be good, but who would push for a solution? I mean people working comfortably wouldn't want to change.

I never see any follow up stories either. Do they just get away with it? Continue doing it?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Explain your opinion then. This blunt "unions are bad" stance is all we ever get whenever anyone brings up the concept.

I don't know about the rest of the world but here in Ireland they have too much power, and quite often serve to keep unskilled idiots in their jobs.

I think Ged hit the nail on the head, strongly enforced labor laws would be better.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    I don't know about the rest of the world but here in Ireland they have too much power, and quite often serve to keep unskilled idiots in their jobs.

I think Ged hit the nail on the head, strongly enforced labor laws would be better.

You'd need to provide proof of this, because the narrative that "unions entrench worthless people" is a lie propagated by business owners because it benefits their bottom line to have un-organized workers. Right now the Ikea in Danville Virginia forces their workers to watch videos weekly explaining the perils of unionizing, despite the fact the Swedish unionized Ikea workers make 2.5x as much money and have benefits and vacations. This is not an isolated incident. There are entire 3rd party companies a business can hire to brainwash their workers into believing unionizing is bad. Why is it that union-busting methods are never EVER undertaken by the workers of a company, but always the upper management and owners?

Seriously, every single industry with unions tries to paint the financial problems as the fault of the unions: Teachers, Car manufacturers, hollywood, etc. Yet all of them secure above average pay and benefits for their members, and if you become knowledgable in the actual financial problems of these industries, they are the fault of bad management (or in the teacher's case, bad government).

Organized workers are great. This "unions=bad" attitude is a false seed planted by years of propaganda from those who own the means of communication (which is, surprise! also rich people) I know I have far more in common with even the worst, most incompetent 3d artist I've ever sat next to, than I ever will with the management or producers or publishers of a company. And the only way we will ever get a more fair slice of the pie we make from scratch is by having negotiating power.

I don't expect it to happen, but unionizing would be a great thing for all of our job certainty, pay, and day-to-day environment.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    You'd need to provide proof of this, because the narrative that "unions entrench worthless people" is a lie propagated by business owners because it benefits their bottom line to have un-organized workers. Right now the Ikea in Danville Virginia forces their workers to watch videos weekly explaining the perils of unionizing, despite the fact the Swedish unionized Ikea workers make 2.5x as much money and have benefits and vacations. This is not an isolated incident. There are entire 3rd party companies a business can hire to brainwash their workers into believing unionizing is bad. Why is it that union-busting methods are never EVER undertaken by the workers of a company, but always the upper management and owners?

Seriously, every single industry with unions tries to paint the financial problems as the fault of the unions: Teachers, Car manufacturers, hollywood, etc. Yet all of them secure above average pay and benefits for their members, and if you become knowledgable in the actual financial problems of these industries, they are the fault of bad management (or in the teacher's case, bad government).

Organized workers are great. This "unions=bad" attitude is a false seed planted by years of propaganda from those who own the means of communication (which is, surprise! also rich people) I know I have far more in common with even the worst, most incompetent 3d artist I've ever sat next to, than I ever will with the management or producers or publishers of a company. And the only way we will ever get a more fair slice of the pie we make from scratch is by having negotiating power.

I don't expect it to happen, but unionizing would be a great thing for all of our job certainty, pay, and day-to-day environment.

I think this union dislike can be because of fear as well. Apparently some people think that the people reporting to unions will be "blacklisted" by other companies because of the fear of getting reported or sued.
    I've never reported anything to the union but I think it's good that I have something to fall back on if I were to be treated unfairly.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9

I don't disagree with you about any of what you've said. I'me just sick to death of people exploiting their unionised jobs to cover up for their own incompetence. I realise this isn't the majority, I guess I'm a bit bitter. Irelands had a fair helping of incompetents recently.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    I don't disagree with you about any of what you've said. I'me just sick to death of people exploiting their unionised jobs to cover up for their own incompetence. I realise this isn't the majority, I guess I'm a bit bitter. Irelands had a fair helping of incompetents recently.

From my understanding of Ireland, the financial problems are far more related to the government following neoliberal policies, deregulating everything, and allowing the finance industry to party. It doesn't surprise me at all that this same group of people to whom all the wealth has been entrenched will make it seem like the unionized workers are the problem, because that keeps their privileged heads off the pikes of all the poor people they've fucked with their financial trickery.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Unions are great imo, atleast here in Sweden they have done ALOT for the working masses. There are great economic forces lobbying against them but the fact will always be that many united workers will always be stronger then one.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    It's not that I think unions wouldn't help in places like Team Bondi, or those 120 hour work weeks. But the government should not allow such businesses to run as such.

I think the government just needs to start doing a better job of handing out stiffer penalties for companies that are breaking labor laws.

Also very wary of unionizing a tech industry that is rapidly evolving. Your current job description now will likely be completely different in 8 years. I wouldn't want a union to hinder that evolution.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Government isn't going to do shit about labor laws in the US... Last time i checked, our government was bought and paid for by corporations and big business long before we were born. Alos, the Regressives have been banning unions (at least in the public sector) like crazy over the past year... New Jersey, Wisconsin, Ohio, etc...

You have to remember that < 70% of people serving in Congress are Millionaires, and as such, they don't give two shits about the 99% of Americans who ARENT millionaires. They make money by taking it from lobbyists trying to push the agenda of Corporate America and the top richest 1%. What makes anyone here think that congress will EVER pass harsher labor laws? Doing so would be completely detrimental to the profit margins of the people who legally bribe congress to make laws that benefit their cause.

Fuck... now i'm depressed.

UQ3