Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cobra Commander re-concepted.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
Hi everyone,

I've really enjoyed viewing the artwork on the site for a while now, but this is my first time sharing my own artwork.

I was really dissapointed by the Cobra commander in the recent GI Joe film so it inspired me to create a piece that is more of an evolution of the original character. I always thought that the shiny visor he wore looked like a motorcycle helmet.

I should say that I did not concept the bike. It's actually the bike I own and ride nearly everyday. This is the one piece I did not use zbrush to define most of the normal maps. I instead used the Ndo photoshop plug in.

I felt that cobra commanders gun is also iconic and tried to stay pretty true to that as well. The texture of the gun is the most heavily painted. I started with base metal, copied it about a dozen times with different hues and saturdations, then painted on the layer masks using the occlusion as a guide where I could.

Thanks.

Alex Kolakowski
www.AlexKola.com

CobraPage_07.jpgCobraPage_05.jpgCobraPage_06.jpgCobraPage_08.jpgCobraPage_15.jpgCobraPage_16.jpgCobraPage_17.jpg

...And I did this sculpey maquette first as well. Roughly 30 to 40 hours of work.

CobraPage_10.jpgCobraPage_12.jpgCobraPage_13.jpg

Here are the main maps. Diffuse, Specular, and Normal. I've also masked out the visor on the helmet and certain parts of the and bike for reflective and incandescent maps but they were pretty simple.

CobraPage_19.jpgCobraPage_20.jpgCobraPage_21.jpgCobraPage_22.jpgCobraPage_23.jpgCobraPage_24.jpg

Replies