Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Skullgirls: Filia

Nix
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Nix polycounter lvl 13
Edit: hmm is there any way I can edit the thread title? I edited the title of the first post but that doesn't seem to do anything. Anyway...

Here's another one, Parasoul this time. :) I tried to take into account a lot of the previous comments, such as not making the geometry in the feet too dense, avoiding skinny quads in deformation areas (while I did this in the arms, I forgot that the feet can rotate as well! So I have to add a few edge loops to her lower legs too) and using tris where appropriate. I think the geometry could be more evenly spaced, still. But oh well.

Again, crits of any kind are very welcome and appreciated!

Ref by Alex Ahad:
parasoulref.png

parasoul1.jpg

parasoul2.jpg

wire1.jpg

wire2.jpg

wire3.jpg

uvmap.jpg

Original post:

For fun and education, I modeled a character from Skullgirls, a game I've been looking forward to for a long time: http://skullgirls.com/ You can find Filia in the characters section.

I'm still kind of a newb at proper polyflow and stuff, my pre-DWV entry was one big mess of triangles. :P I've really tried this time, and that's exactly why I need some good, harsh crits!

I still haven't been able to get rid of triangles 100% of the time, sometimes I just don't know how to remove them, or there's just too much stuff going on so that I get confused and just go ah screw it. Though I heard that some triangles are ok sometimes. The front part of the hair especially is still a triangle soup.

Any crits on any other aspect of the model are welcome, too!

Stats: 4320 tris, 1024x1024 diffuse texture, no lighting.

First image is the ref, drawn by Alex Ahad:
filia01.png

filia1.jpg

filia2.jpg

wire1.jpg

wire2.jpg

wire3.jpg

uvmap.jpg

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    God Damn! son! Awesome execution!
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    sweet! nice work Nix!
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Nice end result, I would say that the tips of the shoes and the lower shins are a bit high in polygons, but very acceptable.

And dont be afraid of triangles! In deformation areas, def keep nice quad-based geometry, but it all turns to tris once in-engine anyways. If you need to collapse two edge loops, use a triangle along a non deforming area. All of that extra geometry that isn't adding anything or helping the silhouette could easily be reduced this way.
  • Nix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    shrew81 wrote: »
    Nice end result, I would say that the tips of the shoes and the lower shins are a bit high in polygons, but very acceptable.

And dont be afraid of triangles! In deformation areas, def keep nice quad-based geometry, but it all turns to tris once in-engine anyways. If you need to collapse two edge loops, use a triangle along a non deforming area. All of that extra geometry that isn't adding anything or helping the silhouette could easily be reduced this way.

Ah, that's good to hear. I always see people do the thing where they make one edge line do a u-turn as it were, like on the back of the upper legs there. That's not really necessary then?

Otherwise, thanks for the comments. :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    great work nailing that art style!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice work, nailed the reference.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Very, very nice!
    No real critics.

I really like it, show it to them. :)
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Great work! This one really look like the concept! :)
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    You nailed the reference, yes- but if I didn't see the reference, I would think the image-ratio was wrong. She looks like she was scaled down- especially around the hips.
    But the reference has it too, so that was more of a design crit than critiquing you at all. The model looks great!
  • Nix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    Joopson wrote: »
    You nailed the reference, yes- but if I didn't see the reference, I would think the image-ratio was wrong. She looks like she was scaled down- especially around the hips.
    But the reference has it too, so that was more of a design crit than critiquing you at all. The model looks great!

I think you may have hit on something though, I do get the feeling she ended up a little bit shorter than the ref, especially in the legs, amplifying the effect you're talking about.

Thanks for commenting!
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    holy shit this is pro!
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    awsome ^^ hit the style really well, sexy colours and all man :)

kindof agree she's coming off a bit shorter/squashed than the concept in places, but its more of a visual illusion kinda thing (other wider parts throwing it off). Looks awsome regardless man, any plans to do some baws anmations? :D
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Great job on this. Very convincing rendition of the illustration.

Your topology actually isn't bad from what I can see although I do think you could optimize in several places and add more geometry in other areas to avoid long, skinny quads. Throw a rig on there yourself and see which areas have problems in bends. Areas that don't deform much and don't contribute much to the silhouette (top of hands/feet) can be reduced, and areas that might twist (forearm), or bend (knees/ankles) could use more divisions.

Really cool model!
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    I agree that you can remove those quads behind her upper leg, that part has no deformation, you can leave tris there as shew81 said before.

And my opinion about overall is that looks awesome! :poly124:

I think this polycount is acceptable, considering that she has only diffuse map you can use some extra tris to give her the proper silhouete. And 4320 tris with only 1024x1024 difuse map looks right for me.
    I might be wrong though...:\
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    I seriously said "holy shit" when I scrolled sown and realized that the 2nd image wasnt a bigger shot of the ref. Great job, you nailed the ref!
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Completely nailed the concept, great work! Might I ask how you get the black outlines?
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    Amazing model, you really nailed Alex Ahad's style, and I love how the texture turned out. Care to take on Cerebella next? :D
  • Nix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    Nizza_waaarg: Thanks! What are baws animations, though?

haikai: Thanks for the pointers, I'll have a look at the deformations. Long, skinny quads are bad? Like in the arms?

fabio brasilien: Yeah I'm gonna do something about those parts, I've been stupid cuz I found out I can actually use just 3 quads instead of 6, don't even need any tris to make it more efficient. *derp*

Tenchi: It's actually just a setting in Blender's renderer ("edge" button on the render panel). It's pretty minimal, but it works!

Jigsaw: Maybe one day, I do love her character design. Got something else in the pipeline at the moment though...

Thanks for all the comments! :D
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Yea this is pretty damn slick, absolutely nailed the concept.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you have variable line width with toon outlines?
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Nix wrote: »
    haikai: Thanks for the pointers, I'll have a look at the deformations. Long, skinny quads are bad? Like in the arms?

Well, it depends on how you plan on rigging the twisting of the hands. Hand twists start at the elbow and if you have long, skinny quads without enough crossing divisions then the polygons are not going to maintain the volume well when twisted.

If you've got the poly budget for it, and it looks like you should in this case, then striving for more evenly spaced geometry helps in other areas too such as more predictable UV performance and deformation. It's not a rule or anything, but maybe worth keeping in mind.
  • clockchrome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great...especially beautiful are shadows!
  • Nix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    I edited the first post to show some new work. I hope that's ok.

can you have variable line width with toon outlines?

I don't think you can in the standard renderer implementation. But what might work I guess, is to do the thing where you take a copy of the model and push all vertices outward along the normals, at different distances depending on the thickness of the black line you want. Then invert the normals of the copy so that it is only visible near edges (the original model stays visible on top), and texture or color the copy solid black.

I haven't done this before so I don't know how well it would work. But there you go. :)

haikai wrote: »
    Well, it depends on how you plan on rigging the twisting of the hands. Hand twists start at the elbow and if you have long, skinny quads without enough crossing divisions then the polygons are not going to maintain the volume well when twisted.

If you've got the poly budget for it, and it looks like you should in this case, then striving for more evenly spaced geometry helps in other areas too such as more predictable UV performance and deformation. It's not a rule or anything, but maybe worth keeping in mind.

Thanks! As I wrote in my post, I did this for the arms, but forgot that foot twists start at the knee too (I think?) so I should add some divisions there I guess.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    You are a machine! Definitely an improvement over the last one. You planning on doing the entire roster once they're all revealed?
  • mishin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are so awesome.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Damn dude, these are mindblowing. Great attention to form and detail. All i can echo is the comments about adding enough loops to support deformation, everything else is super.

You should really show this to the team making the game, they'd get a huge kick out of it.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    I cannot tel your work from the concept