Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    bump, new portfolio/website
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Seems like a disorganization between someone that does film/commercials, but is interested in getting in games.

The cars are clearly the strongest pieces. I'd put them up front/top.

The robot, anubis and outcast are kinda like game art, but more questionable than marketable. When people want to make character, a lot of good characters with faces are required. When you want to be a world artist, props, scenes, levels, etc is more the focus.

Besides making sweet cars, I have no idea how to use you beside intern work until you find out who you are.

I'm not sure anyone can take posting things on TurboSquid as legit work experience. I mean, it's good for a laugh if that's what you're going for.
  • Daelus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the texturing on the characters needs another go over.

The material definition is off for the robot, looks way too rough, like uni-color rust or maybe wet cement, and perhaps tone down some of the damage. Feels a bit too uniformly damaged everywhere, like someone has been trying to strip the paint off and only got to the corners so far. There should be at least some corners that still have paint, or, if you want it that damaged, there should be some missing parts on the flat panels too, and maybe burn/bullet/explosion marks.

Anubis looks like you've just used a mask then filled it with color. The blue, while I think it's a good color to use, just looks like canvas where someone missed a spot. It's rough and it's placement doesn't seem to make any sense.

The modeling looks pretty sound to me, especially the cars, and the layout seems very nice and simple.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Holden :) !! You're awesome, I have your work in my inspiration folder. Thanks for your comments. I agree my portfolio is a bit disorganized. My goal is to have a very game art focused portfolio and more specifically props/environments. I think my strength is hard surface modeling, thus I'll probably keep the Robot for a bit even though it's a character it shows some modelling skills. Anubis I could cut out right now, I don't want to give the wrong impression i'm a character artist. I'm glad you like the cars, and I would be thrilled if someone offered me an intern position haha. I'm only 8 months out of college where I did a mix of film/commercial/game stuff which a lot made to my portfolio thus the disorganization.

You seemed to have misinterpreted my TurboSquid experience. I do not upload models and hope someone buys them for $20. I am a freelance artist for TurboSquid's Custom 3D program. Clients come to TurboSquid for a custom model, and TurboSquid comes to me to create such models. I get to work with clients from all over the world. I guess I need to be more clear about that in my Resume so other people don't get the wrong idea.... because you're right it would be quite laughable haha.

Daelus: Thanks for the crits. I like the idea of having damaged burn marks on the robot. And I will revisit and try to have a bit better material definition. Anubuis like I said to Chris I could cut out completely, I'm a little embarrassed of the texture job on him. He was done a long time ago, and he's not really worth revisiting anymore because my focus isn't characters. I could just get rid of the texture sheets for now, but he's probably going to be crossed off the portfolio list anyway. Glad you like the cars and layout. thanks again for the comments
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    That car looks bad ass.
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    I agree, the shapes on that CRV are very appealing. You know how to model, but you've got to start filling your portfolio out with stuff of that quality. The product/cellphone renders are nice, but not very relevant to game-art, and something about the robot doesn't excite me - while it's decently done, the grey, bland background and monochromatic color-scheme just says bleh. How about a pose and screenshot from UDK, with dramatic lighting? Right now it looks like what usually happens when environment/hard-surface guys tread into territory better handled by character artists.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Old Post and Work

*DELETED*
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *BUMP*

just updated my portfolio site. Please read the above or first post for more information and links to site! Thanks!
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Bump*

updated portfolio 8/1/2013
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I think for the tiling textures it would be nice to actually see them in action. Its hard to tell how well they are going to tile unless you show it.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the Trader's Outpost, the light direction doesn't seem to match the position of the sun in the sky dome. The light color isn't what I'd expect from sunset/dawn on an overcast day.

The grass also seem artificial, appearing as distinct mini-clumps rather than a field.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feed back guys!
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Bump*

updated portfolio and webdesign 10/13/2013

www.clarkcoots.com
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're going for work in the game industry, I'd strongly recommend rendering scenes in one of the common engines - e.g. Unity, Unreal, or Crysis.

The depth-of-focus effect seems a bit overused, especially in the scene with the anvil, where the only object in focus is well off to the right side.

On the vehicles page, I'd probably move the car to the top.

The empty cockpit on the Bf-109 is odd, especially given the relatively high polycount. If you don't want to spend the 1-2k for the interior then I'd recommend making the glass opaque.

The last two entries under "Education" on your resume really seem to belong under the "Experience" heading.
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wenglish polycounter lvl 10
    nice work man. i especially like that tiling metal texture, the style is unusual in a really cool way.

I cant really think of anything negative to say
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Website and presentation are looking good , good pick of fonts

Texturing seems to be your weakest point, try getting used to proper edge highlighting, especially your farm shows this, making it look like older procedual movie CG a bit and on your plane

Looking good and presentable all in all, should be not a big problem getting a decent job, but it depends on what you are aiming for.