Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Salute to Shmups! (Hangar and Aircraft Scene)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Mjolnir_Zero polycounter lvl 14
Hello all! Its been awhile since I posted. Had some crazy stuff going on in my life and its still not quite over. moving, switching schools, getting married, etc. But I've been dying to do a full environment so this will be my thread to get it done. I'll be quite busy here for the next month and updates will be low. However, after that I'm hoping that this will move along faster. So on to the nitty gritty.

Here is what I have thus far on the "Gladius" named in honor of my fav shmup Gradius :)

Goal: To make a cool environment that is scifi with some believability using all my own concepting and work!

Hangar - N/A (To be completed)

Gladius - Aiming for 6k polycount. Diff, Spec, Gloss, and Norm all 2k maps but will probably drop to 1k later.

Lowpoly: complete on fuselage, had a redo of the wings so currently just using the edge looped lowpoly atm.

UVs: complete on fuselage as well, started on landing gears and soon onto the wings

Textures: Currrently testing them a bit since I have little experience with getting the gloss, spec, and diffuse to look right to get the material I'm aiming for.

5821493101_7f1ed7670c_b.jpg
5822058042_5173f54fdf_b.jpg
5821493147_729203379c_b.jpg
5822058108_e826b92304_b.jpg

Known Issues: I've got to fix some baking errors that can be see where the wing meets the fuselage next to the cockpit as well as in front of the cockpit itself. The 'canards' also have a smoothing issue as well. I also need to fix the seam (looks a bit like a bulge) where the UVs have been mirrored.

Now I know what some of you are probably thinking, "didn't he say salute to shmups? Why would he be doing a hangar and stuff?" well this would be a point in the game where you would be between levels and we want a pretty scene to look at a really high detailed version of the ship you're flying around. I've got parts of the hangar I started on but that is still awhile before I can start to show any of that. I'll try to post up some of my texture reference later. I was going to go collect some from the local Air and Space museum once I got some time to take some pictures and do a material study. If anyone has some great reference analyze the specular highlights, fresnel effects, and gloss of some nice slightly worn aircraft I would be extremely grateful!

Comments and Critiques are most certainly welcome. :)

Replies

• Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    SHMUPS ARE VERY YES

i think the ship is much too flat for a horizontal game like gradius. if it was that flat it'd be hard to find amongst bullets at a glance, and the hitbox would probably be as tall as the entire ship. besides that, the ship is so flat that it just looks silly from any view other than top down and really could use a beefing up.

here's a little stretching out i did in photoshop. i think it looks a fair bit chunkier and easier to read as a fighter jet with the big vertical fin.

donpachi.jpg

here are some other horizontal games for ship readability reference. the ships all have nice and meaty shapes so you can easily pull them from a field of bullets at a quick glance, and are recognizable at such small sizes.

treasure's gradius v:
    gradius_v_screen1.jpg

cave's progear:
    dffe2f52cafd0548c410d0d6f76f3011.png

g.rev's border down:
    bdown.jpg

hope this helps
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That point on the fuselage right behind the cockpit where it gets really narrow is bugging me. it looks like the plane's about to snap apart there. I may be reading that wrong (can I get a bottom 3/4 view?), but it definitely looks flimsy. I'd say beef up the fuselage a bit, or maybe go and make the nosecone taper into the thin part of the fuselage a bit more gracefully.

Edit: Love the top silhouette, though. I could see piloting two of those against a swarm of alien space bugs...
  • Mjolnir_Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick preview of what I've been cookin' up since I'm finally settled back in at home. Keep an eye out as I'll be making regular updates to this now. =D C&C always welcome.

5938398354_4ceace7f1d_b.jpg

So as you can see the hangar is finally coming along now that I've got a bit of time. I'm jumping back and forth on the modeling and texturing now as I need things. Still currently playing with some color themes in the back of my head, we'll see how it goes. Later all!
  • Mjolnir_Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, I've been working on covering the walls when I'm not working on a robot that I have planned to put in here (to work on the aircraft). Still playing with the lighting but its all rudimentary at this point since most textures are only using the AO bakes. All specs are still default Xoliul shader as well at this point but I am planning on everything to be mostly metal in this scene anyway. Anyone got ideas for fun stuff to put in the hangar? I've got reference but anyone with a fun unique idea is always welcome to input =D.

Racer445: Hey Racer! Long time no talk! Been AWOL for sometime now and I'm back, thanks for the critique and I agree it is a bit flat from the side, I beefed it up just a bit on the side's thickness however the intended angle is topdown like the 'Raiden' series. Which is why its strongest silhoutte is from the top.

tony: Yeah, I think the point your referring to is also kinda 'weak' looking but it isn't totally realistic. I may change it a bit later but I do want it to look imaginative even if it would break in reality. Thanks for the thoughts tho! :)

Here's a few more shots, not too much progress, added the beginnings of some door frames as well as the beginnings of a catwalk, etc. Let me know what you all think so far.

5944801010_fb8745f9b1_b.jpg
    5944247933_385875bd1f_b.jpg
    5944247885_d838c6fd0d_b.jpg
  • Mjolnir_Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another small update, things have been just a bit slower lately but time is freeing up again so I'm back to work. Here's a HP of a door that will go in the corner of this hangar. Critiques on this stuff would be nice, not sure why no one has been commenting o_O

5957758119_63405f1ddf_b.jpg
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Freakin loving the models so far, My only crit is MOOOOOOOAAAAAAR!!
  • Mjolnir_Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright guys need some quick help here. I've baked out my normals on the door however I'm getting some bad normals right around the corners of the doorway. Anyone have any ideas what the problem is? Do I need to reinforce my edges with some support to fix this?

Compare the two images and the HighPoly model I posted from the other day and I'm sure you'll see what I'm referring to.

5961744118_41c6c3c4b8_b.jpg

with Wires
    5961744216_ee533bab58_b.jpg
  • andybozo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andybozo polycounter lvl 7
    nice WIP. keep it up! :thumbup:
  • Mjolnir_Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update. Continuing my education on normal maps, I'll be going slower now as I'm still working on my UV unwrapping skills and normal baking skills. I promise to make my next post in UDK so you guys won't have to keep seeing my Max viewports. :)

5984759621_5d36c68627_b.jpg
    5984759487_17147c8635_b.jpg
  • Mjolnir_Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UDK Update: Much to learn in so many areas, here's how a different section of the hangar looks and with a quick setup of UDKs wonderful lighting =D

6073593826_cb9c2f05e8_b.jpg