Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first Zbrush wip

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello I wish I can get some help with my first zbrush project wip ....

Here is a statue I am trying to make ...

separate objects are armour , the base , the statue , the sword and the arms .... any comment , opinion , sugestion is very welcomed ....

here the original concept that I have to follow but not necessarly has to be precise or 100 % I have much freedom of reinterpretation of it ....

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/4640/conceptdg.jpg

wipstatua.jpgwipstatualatop.jpg

Replies

• NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Oh that's nice. Not sure if you haven't noticed but the diamond grooves in the concept have what appears to be eyes or rose like gravings on them. Only crit I can think of is the hood appears a little too high compared to the concept but apart from that you've done a great job, keep it up.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks a lot for your comments :) ...

this is my very very first Zbrush sculpt , I didnt even start with ball or cube modeling tests lol ...

anyway the concept is just as basic guidelines , it doesnt have to look all 100% close ... the purpouse is to make the statue similar but look cooler somehow ...

About the sort of eyes or things inside the squares yes I know I have yet to detail the cuirass thing , was even considering eventually to rework it and rescale ...

About the rest what I have to detail still are: back armour , belt , armour , improve the arms and hands , improve the tunic ,the armour shouldersm the shoulder tenants , the sword ( possible will be in bronze ) , and the hood yes is a bit too high I wanted to make frontally more conformed to the head and back more folds...

Here is a test I did with a coulbe of brush alphas to see how would look on the statue that have to be in stone and see how is the effect

if you have any sugestions how to improve the severall things pleaselet me know :) and also how to make the tunic look better ...

wipstatue.jpg
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    just for concepts sake, pauldrons, hilt shape, collar, mouth.
    how they are:
    Pauldrons - flat, blocks, less pauldron more shoulder deformity.
    Hilt shape - ... well I'll leave comments on it, because you obviously haven't started on it yet.
    Collar - there isn't one
    mouth - top lip is thin, looks like their snarling
    how they should be:
    Pauldrons - spikey but don't seem to be plated.
    hilt shape - looks like its trying to grasp the sword, a rather blunt blocked out shape.
    Collar - there is a collar or it may be straps, leading from the shoulder to the middle of the chest.
    Mouth - No lips / lips parted widely, looks like a deformed grin, thick lips and possibly cuts or scars where the lips meet at the sides of the mouth.

But that said, you seem to be very good with basic sculpting. I hope to see more of the smaller detail in your next model :D
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    thankyou for your reply :) but the model isn't finished at all I already posted that I have to detail the pauldrons and the other stuff :) ... as for the lips I was thinking to leave thin as is a sort of old mummy thingy lol ... anyway all is very wippy , I am just experimenting zbrush for first time after reading some tuts and never even modeled organic human stuff :) ...

I am mostly concerned about the workflow as this have to be an ingame asset with a low poly retopologized model after I complete this so I am very interested into making a good model for the normal map extraction after and I am not yet sure how that works as I never done befoure :) ....
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    your first time? I thought the title meant it was your first time trying a full model, well your better than me when I started XD
    good luck, your gonna be making zBrush masterpieces in no time :D
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    well yes but I have watched some tutorials around for getting an idea of how to do what I want to do , and asked some questions on this forum befoure starting .... thanks for the compliments tough I hope it looks good and pro but I not sure yet and its stil very wip ......
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Other comments? :poly131:
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    I think you went to fast to add "Stone" detail to it, I would have worked more on the face so it looks more natural, right now it looks like a bad cartoon face, check out some skulls and at least make the proportions correct. apart form that is not bad for your fist Zbrush WIP.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I did only add to test the brushes , in my work model isn't added yet , what you mean by proportions correct? I m making a sort of mummy old thingy not a real man tough ....
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    NAIMA wrote: »
    I did only add to test the brushes , in my work model isn't added yet , what you mean by proportions correct? I m making a sort of mummy old thingy not a real man tough ....
    Even mummies have skulls. Reference is ALWAYS your friend.

Anyway, looking nice for your first zbrush sculpt. Right now I think it would benefit you a lot to sharpen some things up, take brushes like claytubes and flatten and get a rougher, more sculpted look.. because, well, it is supposed to be a statue. Right now it's looking little soft and smooth in some places for something carved out of stone.

Also, from the sideview, it's looking like he doesn't even have a top half of his head to fill that hood, or it's at least sloped back in a pretty extreme way. Maybe that's what you're going for, but that's not how I interpret the concept.

I hope you do add more of the details from the concept though, like the spikier pauldrons. Also, that diamond shaped armor he's wearing extends past his sides, adding to the silhouette in the concept, right now your silhouette looks a little dull by comparison.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for the answers and any critic is very welcome :) .... the skull and the hood is still wip , I mean I have to yet model the hood to contain the skull :) ... thats on the list about the face I tought it was sort of a mutant human hibrid or the like so I exagerated the features of the mouth , grin , bones etc ... if though those are totally offplace then I guess I have to redo I am just going on eye and I have not followed a real skull reference or muscles , as I saw on the concept that the face doesn't really look much realistic either ...

Here is what I coul dconsider eventually final model detailed piece of the statue unless you guys tell me its not good for it ....

armordetail.jpg
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    NAIMA wrote: »

Check out this link Mummy Pictures see how their faces are, and replicate it on the model.
    beware though, some pics are strong (They are corpses any way).
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I guess I am approaching the final stage but so far I added the rock detail just for fun befoure taking a pic so it is temporary , I still have to go back to fix some stuff here and there ... to you guys the critiques and sugestions and what to change or fix or simply if you like it or not ....

thanks a lot for following my first Zbrush work and helping me improving it ... :)

wipstatue.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Added details on sword and face....

spadae.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Here the statue without the details of the rock , I added a curved shape blade as test , let me know what u think of it overall thankyou :) ...

wavy.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Front and retro view with rock detail on ....

statuah.jpg

backwl.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Here I remade the Arms and hands but I am not yet good at human organics and I think that's the best I can come up with atm ....

armsu.jpg
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to say it's starting to look very good, it somehow has unique darkish feel, but IMO his face needs reworking totally... It would be shame if it ended like cool model with ugly face!
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Thankyou :) , but what you mean for ugly ? badly done or just ugly ? Couse the purpouse was to make a grotesque like figure ....
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The mouth needs to be reworked. The way it looks in the concept it's almost hissing at whoever faces it, but your version is more like he's growling. It looks like you just made a line down the area where the mouth is supposed to be and started cutting out teeth which offsets the realism with an overly cartoon like grimace.

I would suggest starting over with a more fully formed mouth in mind, and then smooth out the lips so they become more apart of the surrounding mesh then defined landmarks. The lips are still clearly visible, but as you can see in the reference, it, like other parts of the face have become grotesque and contorted. I would also suggest reworking the neck. In the reference that entire area has clothing underneath, you really don't see the neck.

mouth.png
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Yes but I dont have to follow the concept 100% that was just a guideline or an inspirsation ... I can increase the lips tough and the overall realism of the face but I liked more the growling expression actually ....

mouthy.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok after a long pause on this model I finally been able to extract the normal maps from a new low poly model that is all quadrified ...

Remade the uvs and exported ...

Here is final result 3700 polygons more or less...

statuastregone.jpg