Home Technical Talk

Max to modo switch?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
VPrime polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone who has made this switch can provide some tutorials and pointers to help the transition?

I want to learn Modo but cant get around the UI and workflow at all. Too different from max. Is there a tutorial somewhere that is geared towards ma users going to modo?

Right now I'm trying to switch to an all mac platform and I'm trying to choose a good modelling package that will play well with Unity 3D.

I have also tried Silo 3D and really like it but it is sort of a pain to convert to different formats just to get it to a usable file tow ork with unity.. So that is what brought me to Modo (other then the high praise it is getting online).

Thanks for any help, tips tricks or links :)

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I went from Maya -> Max -> Modo.

The way I came to grips with Modo was to just change all the hotkeys to the way I liked them, that seemed to make a big difference.

Now I'm using more pie menus than tool specific hotkeys and it seems to make my workflow a lot more flexible.

The only things I miss from Max are the modifier stack, projection cage for baking, and the ability to turn invisible edges, oh and proper FBX support...

There are also a ton of scripts that make many common modeling, UVing, and exporting tasks easier/faster, Seneca's scripts, newer versions here (mesh cleanup being a very important addition), also Ariel Chai's scripts (pipelineIO to Unity and xNormal), and these scripts (especially the UV rectify and ratio).

What exactly are you having problems with?

"Dropping the tool"? I changed "q" to be "tool.drop" without the quotes in the Input Editor, rather than the default of using the spacebar to cycle selection modes + drop tool, IIRC...

Action centers/axis?

The when nothing is selected, everything is selected thing? This you need to just get used to.

Viewport navigation? Go to: System -> Preferences -> OpenGL -> uncheck "Trackball Rotation".
  • barri allen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried almost everything in 3D. IMO, for modeling, only XSI is a match for Modo, at least regarding the workflow. Stick a bit with it and you'll love it, also for its rendering capabilities.
    Get the Dan Ablan tuts and guides, they help a lot.

Hooray, Apuna, thank you a million for the tip on q key :thumbup:
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another useful command common in other apps is:

viewport.maximize

Set that to a hotkey like space bar (Maya). Then hover your cursor over any of your modeling viewports (using the Model Quad layout) and hit that key to toggle from quad view to a maximized single view.

You can actually run the command while hovering over any panel in the UI to "maximize/minimize" it. Works well for the Item list and Properties panels.

@barri allen:

Cool :)
  • keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    My hotkeys are set up like a mix of Maya and Max, which I both still use. Max was my first program. There was a guy from Luxology that came down to my class and demoed the program, so next year we're all using it. This thing looks great, but I can barely use it even after loads of customization and seeing Mr. Brad from the company play with it for an upwards of two hours.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    i brefily tried it and hated the default setup, though i think i could grow to like it if i spent a few days customizing it.

problem is that it has issues exporting out to some formats and there are some things max and maya can do that it cant, so i dont see it being worth it with such a high price point.

when you get into the thousands of dollars you shouldn't "Need" to supplement it with other applications to get your work done.

if you take a look at all the specialty apps, like silo, 3dcoat, and even zbrush they are all well under $1000
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One more thing I thought of that might help:

Some tools work better with "Auto Activate" turned on.

This brings up the tool's widget once you activate the tool so you don't have to place it manually.

Some tools might work better with "Select Through" turned on.

This allows you continue selecting new elements and performing actions without dropping the tool.

Both options are available in the "Tool Pipeline" tab. Once you activate a tool, just right click it to see the options. You can then save it as a new preset or save over the default to permanently change it's behavior if you want to.

Heh, I just noticed the "Auto Drop" option that might be handy too...

@passerby:

Try comparing Modo to Max, Maya, or XSI at ~$3500 and you start to think differently...

Though if you really want value nothing beats Blender :)
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ben apuna, my point was it has a high price point and you wounds still require max or maya along side it, due to animation and exporting.

so your paying a lot of money for something that isn't full featured enough to do your whole job.

most of the apps that specialize in something are under the $1000 mark.

and being free doesn't add value in the blender example.
  • Shaffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thoroughly enjoyed modo for modeling after I set the shortcuts to whatever I liked. You can even have the viewport controls mimic max/maya real easily when you first set it up. I don't animate though.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I learn new software I try to embrace the default hotkeys and UI. Remapping things to emulate your old software may save you a little time in the short run, but ultimately it's a crutch.

ya but's whats the point of fighting muscle memory as you go, like im sure most people do i dont rebind everything to be like one app, i tend to take the keys i like from each one.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the tips guys, this should help me get going a bit with modo.
    Right now the hardest part I am finding is the interface. But I guess the only way to get past that is to actually sit down and read / watch videos.. Oh and try to make something ;)

dustinbrown, I'm the same way. I really like learning the hotkeys and methods of that specific program. I was hoping there was a guide somewhere online that would show things in modo and then go on and say "this is how you do it in max.. or the equivalent to max's ___ tool"
  • SSquir33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSquir33 polycounter lvl 12
    gotta admit. you can knock out some models fast once the keys are set up ='D