Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Character Project

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Greetings guys;

female1t.jpg

Ok; So this is one project that I've been trying to get started. I usually make a rough sketch which is this one, than I refine it and paint it until it looks legit enough for 3d modeling. At this moment this sketch still have prop errors and few mistakes.

Reason for this thread: It is good to start showing people what I am working on and receive a feed back to tune up my work skills.

Thank you,
With best regards
Nitewalkr

NOTE: I will update this thread as I progress in this practice project.
NOTE2: Please disregard the cape thing as I had no idea what I was makeing <.<.

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    My biggest crit is on her face, the dark lines under her cheeks make her look really emaciated, shadowing on the face in general needs to be subtle.

Her boobs look very fake (implant style) which is fine if that's what you were going for, but for natural breasts they need to be in more of a teardrop shape and less orange shaped.

Also the color needs to be more blended on her skin, she looks like a shiny plastic as of now.

Finally she is very generic, if you are going to spend a lot of time modeling her find something to make her look more unique, maybe some patterning/a logo on her shirt, just less Laura Croft and more your own.

Don't let all of this discourage you though, it's a good start and since you haven't gotten any replies I wanted to at least post my thoughts :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    The skin blending is much better, but you've still got some issues to resolve.

First off, you need to identify your light source (if you want to) to give a clear indication of dynamic light instead of having this washed out, luke-warm feel to it. Really have some fun with it, make up a story. Her environment is just as important as she is in telling us her story. Instead of having a brown gradient, give us a block in of shapes or at least crop the image so there's not so much emptiness haha.

Another thing I noticed is that her pants look inflated; almost as if she's got another pair underneath that's bulking those up. The rest of her is trying to be this skin-tight, adventure ready woman and her pants look like a bounce house meets kingdom hearts. Not trying to be mean, just reduce some of that inflation and you'll be good to go.

This is also a good time to work on your color theory. When doing skin and clothing there are more colors involved than what you see immediately. Most skin is fairly translucent and shows through blues, greens, yellows, and reds in different intensities. Try adding some of those accents in the areas with less light influence just to add some more interest.

Your forms are nice and proportions are good, just be careful not to outline small features in the muscles or in the face. Follow the curvature of the body and remember where your light source is. Gradual transitions and color changes read more clearly than harsh lines at times.

This is a good start and I strongly encourage you to fix and finish it. Cheers.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    Are you using reference on this? The proportions are strange. Her legs are too long. Her fingers are too long. Her hips are extremely wide but her ass is flat. The line going down the center of her body seems weird. Her thighs are fused together at the top. It looks like she's shrugging her shoulders. The collar bones shouldn't be so V shaped, but flat or almost flat.

The face needs work, but there's nothing glaring that I can really point out that would be an obvious fix, but many little things that are a little hard to pinpoint from a front shot. Make sure you're using good reference. Look at it from different angles and compare what is different about your image, then fix it.

I don't know if this was intended, but she looks like Christina Hendricks.
  • MoreDread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are you using reference pics for this? it sure doesn't look like it.
    naming all the things that are wrong with your model would take too long.
    the best tip i can give you is to get lots of pictures of real people, some very good models made by other 3d artists and maybe even download some of their models if you can find them.
    google is your friend.

but since people generally don't like to hear that here are some suggestions:

the legs are way too long, the fingers, too

the hips are too wide

smooth out those abs and don't worry about painting them on at this point

and those breasts are terrible! go get lots of reference (ain't an artists life great?) and make tear shaped breasts instead of these.. these... things.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    What kind of anatomy references are you using? you should have material to help you nail the basic proportions first. Once you have realistic / ideal proportions, start carving in forms of the anatomy. You're trying to detail too soon, each level needs to be used to its full potential!
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    4'th on the reference.

Even the pros do it. The worst thing you can do as a student or beginner is to think you can already work from your own head. That shit takes a long time to master. I recommend that you do studies of individual body parts and anatomy. Do quick models of heads, hands, feet, eyes, noses, skulls, skeletons, muscle ecorche, etc. Keep repeating, don't just do one and call it a day. Try to do put one hour for study every day. Sure it's boring and you don't get to "do your own thing" but you will gain more from it than you can imagine.
    Either finish your model, do your studies, and then revisit it to see how much you have improved. Or just scrap the model, do your studies, and then do a full character afterwards.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6 hours isn't enough time, especially if you're new to this.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    movento polycounter lvl 17
    she looks very very tall. its because of the too long legs,but also the head is to small.
    The lower legs especially are way to long. the knees should also be less wide.
    I think you should make a very simple basemesh first,with correct proportions,then you can start sculpting. IMO that would be easier then trying to fix the sculpt now.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    What movento said. This might help

woman_schematic.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greetings guys;

This is the base mesh I worked on for sculpting. Few of you suggested that I should start this project again so I assumed you meant start a project with a different approach.

Female Face Closeup:

femalefacecloseup.jpg

Female Base Mesh:
    femalebasemesh.jpg

I request you to criticize it so I can have a good idea of what needs to be tweaked before I start sculpting.

Original Post has been updated to a new rough concept sketch.

Thanks guys :)
  • g0zzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From experience, starting from a base that has a good posture is important to get the character to look well weighted and balanced, I would therefore suggest bending the legs and position them in a more natural position (not straight down).
    Also the topology on the forehead is a little strange, try and make it more clean for when you bring it into zbrush you will find it easier to have a smoother mesh.

Other than those just keep references some images of female figures to get the proportions correct :D
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    If you plan on taking this into zbrush for heavy sculpting you might want to separate your clothing from the mesh. Right now it looks like the pants and shirt are aprt of the model. Seperate'em and it'll be easier to work on stuff like the proportions and forms of the body. Furthermore your characters body is going to influence how the clothing is worn, drapes,etc.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo wrote: »
    If you plan on taking this into zbrush for heavy sculpting you might want to separate your clothing from the mesh. Right now it looks like the pants and shirt are aprt of the model. Seperate'em and it'll be easier to work on stuff like the proportions and forms of the body. You don't want clothing to get in the way till you're ready.

Oh, thats because I enabled wire on frame. The eyes, shoulder pieces, pants, boots are separate and the body is separate.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    AH! Ok. Glad to here that.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hay guys;

This is my work in progress:
    newfemalewip.jpg

So far I've got the pants textured and roughly sculpted the body and shoe. CnC is welcome.

Please ignore the pants straightness, I have yet to sculpt the folds out. =\
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hay guys;

I ran in to a bit of an issue here. Since I couldn't find the shirt texture I had to make both the pants and the shirt texture. Now for the shirt was suppose to be black with grungy texture which were implemented as sound (There is a logo as well but I'll save it for later).

Anyways, after I applied the texture in zbrush, it almost looks like a furry shirt. Does it look the same to you guys? :poly122:
    shirtop.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done, Finally. After dragging this "First Modeling a Female project," for some time, I finished the high poly version of it.

Pe3qS.jpg

1jdrA.jpg

Now I am going to start working on low poly for it before making the skeletal rigging structure. :D

CNC is appreciated.

EDITED: I had to make a quick fix because her face looked long.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my god. Seriously no crits or comments?
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Her eyebrows are abit too thick? The colour of her lips is abit off for me, but thats up to you. Smooth out the face alittle bit more, I can still see a few sculpt bumps and stuff.

The proportions are good (realistic) but hips could be abit narrower. Good luck :D
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    This crit might be a bit late, but if you're willing, maybe you should go for something more like this?
    critm.png

I've fixed a some of the proportions and shape, and it's a bit closer to your concept. You still need to work on your anatomy, it looks like you've been using some reference but you've exaggerated it. It should be more subtle. Also the jaw looks a bit "manly" (there's better word to describe it but I forgot).

There's a lot to say about it but only in regards to anatomy, but the one thing that really sticks out to me is her hips so you should really fix that. I hope this won't discourage you or anything, but keep at it!!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks nightFlarer: I took some what reference for the props and edited my own model.

Unfortunately I cant make her as slim as the one in your picture, but I averaged her according to the prop suggested by you, and some reference pictures. Since the shoulder muscle leading to the neck comes from the back of the shoulders they are hidden under the hair, but they are there. Are you suggesting that I should make her neck even longer?

JN6ux.jpg

U146S.jpg

CNC required still.

Thanks guys.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Little update; I finally realized that her hair make her look like a man so I had to remake them.

5L0NE.jpg

Cqqyy.jpg

I'd really appreciate if I get some crits.

Thanks.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    A lot of the criticisms that were given before still apply... there are still loads of problems with the anatomy and posture. Forget about the details and step down in your subdivisions to iron out the bigger shapes and proportions.

Her pose from side view is especially awkward. It's like she's in the middle of sitting down or something. Straighten out the legs and move her feet so she looks relaxed and balanced.

Her face/head needs the most work. I assume you intended for her to be attractive and semi-realistic, right? There isn't a whole lot to say other than to get more references and follow them more closely. Superimpose a photo of a woman's face onto your screenshot to see where you're going wrong.