Replies

• glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Oh! New Carmaggedon game?

Sweet :D
  • Carl Brannstrom
    Since it's common nowadays to ruin comebacks/revivals, I rather hope for a HD-version of Carmageddon 2!
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's now time for a GTA4 Carmageddon total conversion.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    LOL
    well said glynn
    that WOULD be the ultimate baddassery
    i'd toss Quarantine in there too
    gotta torch those pedestrians
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yes please! that game was so much fun.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    GTA4's driving physics lost a lot of the fun of simply hooning around when they overcomplicated the simulation. I'd much rather have completely unrealistic physics that catered to driving really fast and launching into the air at the drop of a hat in a game like Carmageddon... well in any game, really, but particularly something as ridiculous and cartoonish as this franchise.

I hope the over the top car damage makes a return. Not many games since Carma 2 have had a "splitting cars entirely in 2" feature.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    oh my god remembering forcing an opponent car into a concrete wedge and the force of the impact splitting it.

I came.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    GTA4's driving physics lost a lot of the fun of simply hooning around when they overcomplicated the simulation. I'd much rather have completely unrealistic physics that catered to driving really fast and launching into the air at the drop of a hat in a game like Carmageddon... well in any game, really, but particularly something as ridiculous and cartoonish as this franchise.

I hope the over the top car damage makes a return. Not many games since Carma 2 have had a "splitting cars entirely in 2" feature.

GTA4's car handling had a similar low gravity feel, and I reckon would fit pretty well with Carmageddon's similar handling.

I thought the feel of the vehicles was perfect in GTA4, too :P Lots of fun!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Sounds cool, but I still miss Destruction Derby :( wtb a new version
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I bet it'll be a zombie driver game rated T exclusively for the Xbox360, a Jeremy Soule soundtrack. and have a score of 67 from IGN because it rips off GTA3 which invented third person vehicle maiming. but even worse points deducted because they ignorantly expect the driver to be able to get out and shoot with gun

Unless SCi makes a comeback and does it right... I really want to drive airplanes into others in multiplayer on the S.S. Lewinski again.

So they're retconning TDR 2000?
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostalgia alert!

I only played the first one and the Splatter Pack addon. GREAT times.

Never played the 2nd. Bah, I'll miss it.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    fuck yeah!

I loved Carma 2 with a passion, really hoping that Stainless are behind this version, seeing that it was their baby in the first place though DR2000 which was essentially carma 3 was worked on by another team.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Comeback of one of my favorite games ever!
    Just reading stuff like S.S. Lewinski brings back memories (pushing fighter jets overboard haha).

Stuff they need to do right:

-lots of crazy cars, of which half are useless but funny (like that Stuka or the Dumper that doesn't even fit through checkpoints)
    -same 3 ways to finish a race gameplay + super hard challenges inbetween!
    -a bunch of really unique and memorable maps, no freeroam crap plz. I want stuff where I can torch elephants, drive my car through the wildwater ride, blow up penguins, launch off a skislope, try and prevent airliners from taking off, push opponents on traintracks, etc..
    -No cutting back on gore and crude humor!
    -Crazy damage system up to next-gen standards.
  • Carbon14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carbon14 polycounter lvl 10
    I thoroughly enjoyed these games, and I don't know if this is blasphemous or something, but played the heck out of TDR2000 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

However, I am actually finding it a little hard to imagine Carma these days without it being well, lame? On one hand I'm not sure how well magical giant springs, or bouncing suspension or so many of the powerups will look decent transposed to modern times, on the other would it be Carma without the bizarre crazyness? Definitely curious to see what direction they go with this. I just hope above all else that it doesn't end up stacked up with giant glowing power up symbols and overly flashy effects.
  • Carl Brannstrom
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Comeback of one of my favorite games ever!
    Just reading stuff like S.S. Lewinski brings back memories (pushing fighter jets overboard haha).

Stuff they need to do right:

-lots of crazy cars, of which half are useless but funny (like that Stuka or the Dumper that doesn't even fit through checkpoints)
    -same 3 ways to finish a race gameplay + super hard challenges inbetween!
    -a bunch of really unique and memorable maps, no freeroam crap plz. I want stuff where I can torch elephants, drive my car through the wildwater ride, blow up penguins, launch off a skislope, try and prevent airliners from taking off, push opponents on traintracks, etc..
    -No cutting back on gore and crude humor!
    -Crazy damage system up to next-gen standards.

+Licensed heavy metal soundtrack :)
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CUNNING STUNT.

+1 for the return of Fear Factory, too.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH yes totally forgot. No lame soundtracks, has to be very badass and preferably oldskool.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Oh man, this is the best news in ages. I've played every single carmageddon, carma 1, splat pack, carma 2, and TDR2000.

Though I did play a great deal more Carma 1/splat pack and carma 2 than TDR2000. Heck I still have the manuals for Carma 1 + splat pack, but sadly all my disks for all games were stolen :(

And I see no reason it can't be a bit more realistic visually with the same insanity we expect.

zombie-car.jpg

How ever it turns out, they have a guaranteed play from me.

As for cunning stunt, my brothers and I used to call it stunning cunt bonus...
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    You know for a fact what ever this is (Carmageddon4, etc) will not be anywhere near as awesome as the 1st or (lesser good) 2nd. For me anyway. There was something simple about it that made it brilliant. Large tracks, tons of zombies (which should have been humans as the demo was), cartoon style powerups, and loads of cool cars with very differing handling, speed, stats, etc.

A new version will be complicated, probably realistic, and not nearly as straight forward.

having said that. I'm still excited and hope it'll be awesome...

I expect its a DS game of iOS or something though.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I think any sequel to a child hood favourite, will never live up to the memories we have of the originals, I can't think of any game that does.

GTA 1 was amazing, simple and ridiculous in places, remember the gourangas. GTA 4 is a great deal more realistic, and honestly a totally different game, but I still enjoy it immensely, purely for the physics and the sandbox nature of it, lanning it my friends and I get up to all sorts of weird mischief and experimentations.

It's the nature of sandbox games, carmageddon I used to try kill as many zombies and do as many checkpoints as i could without finishing the race, then kill all my competitors in as nasty a method i could come up with.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I just jizzed my pants...
  • Carl Brannstrom
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Carmegeddon website is not owned by Square Enix

Yet according a whois search, the carmageddon.com has Square Enix Europe as the registrant
    CARMAGEDDON.COM WHOIS
    Updated: 22 hours ago
    Registrant:
    Square Enix Europe (SQUAREEN853)
    Wimbledon Bridge House
    1 Hartfield Road
    London, London, SW19 3RU
    GB

So I have my doubts about that, but in 9 days, we'll know for sure.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    It's owned by the Europe division (EIDOS)? Now that makes it even better!
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    If it's good, I'm hoping it will be just as moddable that carma2 was.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'd be able to remake my "wheels immediately fall off when the race starts" mod.
  • tomdon
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    now that does sound promising. Good to see it back with Stainless
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pff, site's down now that the countdown ended. Lame!
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I patiently waited 10mins for the timer to run out, and all I get is a broken timer in return :(

Guess I'll have to wait some more.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    haaahahaha so win!

i remember this one race in Carmageddon, where you'd want to take the lead ASAP, cos half a mile down the road there were 100 cows just standing there :D
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In those cases, I would just tap burnout and get my headstart at the beginning of the race, cost 1000cr or something, but always worth it.

That and reversing at the beginning of a race.

Speaking of broken timers, I loved breaking the timer in carma 1 and 2, i think it went up to 29:59, or 19:59 or something, and didn't go higher.

:EDIT:

Carmageddon.com website is finally up, and oh joy. It looks like carma 1 / 2 with pretty new gfx.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    You know for a fact what ever this is (Carmageddon4, etc) will not be anywhere near as awesome as the 1st or (lesser good) 2nd. For me anyway. There was something simple about it that made it brilliant. Large tracks, tons of zombies (which should have been humans as the demo was), cartoon style powerups, and loads of cool cars with very differing handling, speed, stats, etc.

A new version will be complicated, probably realistic, and not nearly as straight forward.

having said that. I'm still excited and hope it'll be awesome...

I expect its a DS game of iOS or something though.

I think this is true, the first two games were kind of a mess, and yet good for it. Its like they threw everything in and some of it works some doesnt, but somehow it just makes this whole perfect game.

It would be interesting to see what they come up with though. Would even a carmageddon, fit now with everything going towards this realism angle.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet, Stainless re-acquired the license
    Carmageddon.com website is finally up, and oh joy. It looks like carma 1 / 2 with pretty new gfx.

I think your looking at the conept art/title
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am indeed, and its looking sweet, if the game looks anything like that concept I'll be happy.

What i'm really hoping for is the chance to smash up vlad, and screwie lewie again. TDR2000 never really had any of the original competitors in.
  • SubPablo
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    This was passed around the office a few days ago. This was my response:
    "We've paid £150,000 for a custom Ranger Rover, now give us £250,000 to make the game to go with it."

Get fucked.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stop hatin' man, I'm sure they've thought things through.
    I pledged 50, and so should more people!!
    Honestly i didn't care at all about the previous hyped kickstarter games, and I find some of them ("Yogventures") a plain disgrace, but this one has my full support. Carmageddon 2 was one of the best games ever for me!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Stop hatin' man, I'm sure they've thought things through.

They've spent an enormous amount of money on a frivelous promotional object and are effectivly asking you to pick up the bill. They could have not bought the vehicle, then asked for half of what they're asking for.

They have thought things through and they're taking you for complete idiots. If they needed £250,000 to develop a game, then they quite clearly shouldn't be spending half of that on an office toy.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have they listed anywhere how much and how they paid for this thing? Or are you just presuming things?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a guess - in any case, the unmodified car costs £90,000 before you even put it on the road:
    http://www.kahndesign.com/automobiles/automobiles_available_detail.php?i=310&css=24&a=3

Add £1200 alloys, an £9500 body kit, £8-10,000 pain job and it's not going to run cheap. Then you've got to insure something like that and get it on the road. If it has a previous owner.

The car may not be as much as £150k, but it's not less than £100k.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you don't know if this thing was new or not, you don't know if it is perhaps the CEO's own car that was modified, you're not taking into account that VAT might not apply to promotional material, etc...
    It's really a bit short-sighted to dismiss things and start swearing and badmouthing them like that if you ask me.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it's the CEOs car or similar, then I still don't want to fund the project and still find it dubious. If they're not willing to put any of the six-digits required to acquire that car into the project, then they're not having one digit of mine. That six-digits of disposable income would also of course have come from salary.

The car is not much older than the project, since it's a late 2010 model, so you can't argue it that way either.

That car even existing means that the project was confidently going to come to market (deliverables are set for February, after all). They could certainly afford to buy the license from Square (FYI, that cost at least 1/4 million)

So what's the Kickstarter campaign for, really?
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This made me laugh:

Fatal1.jpg
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Got to agree with ambershee, it put me off the project totally.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Well, it looks like the crazy expensive tiers get access to a ride in the Range Rover - if those sell out it will possibly exceed the price of the car. They could then turn around and auction the car off. Either way, it's a tiny fraction of the cost of most big publisher advertising campaigns.

Or they are renting a Range Rover and slapping some Carmegeddon Decals on it.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    God I hope censorship doesn't ruin this game.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Really guys? You do know this isn't their only project, right? They have other sources of income to pay their bills and buy things like cars and tacos. They've said they want it to be kickstarter funded so they don't have to give creative control to a publisher, which sounds like a legit reason to me... unless you feel entitled to call them liars, just because. Its possible the car was bought years ago, by someone in the company who already could afford it, because they all have real jobs and haven't been slaving away in a basement the past decade eating ramen just to satisfy their fans.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Ha, I still play Carmageddon 1 [since 1998]. I hope the new one will be just as good!

Also, what Ferg said.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah selling the car afterwards is another thing, it's not like it's lost money spent on magazine, tv and superbowl ads. Pretty sure that thing will be worth a lot of its initial cost when they sell it, maybe even more for being the Carmageddon car.
    It's one thing to not want to support them, but don't go and publicly discredit them for something you have no insight in.