Home General Discussion

"Games Now Legally Considered an Art Form in the USA"

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109835-Games-Now-Legally-Considered-an-Art-Form-in-the-USA
The US National Endowment for the Arts now considers videogames eligible for artistic funding, legally recognizing them as an art form.

The "games as art" debate will likely continue raging for years before videogames reach complete cultural acceptance, but at least one important organization now officially considers games art: The US Federal Government. Or, rather, the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) considers games art - which technically amounts to the exact same thing.

For those not familiar with the NEA, it is a US government organization-slash-program which funds artistic projects around the country which will "enhance the public good." If you're an artist who wants to make a beautiful sculpture for a public place, for instance, and you don't want to sell it commercially - but you would like to continue eating - you can apply for a grant of up to $200,000 to make your work of art. There are all sorts of regulations and scrutiny in the application process, but that's the basic idea, anyway.

The NEA opened its application doors this week for 2012, and announced that it would be changing its criteria for what counted as art. Most significantly for our chosen pastime is that the category formerly known as The Arts on Radio and Television will now be known as The Arts in Media. It will include film, television and radio artistic projects, but will also add satellite-based and internet-based media (as opposed to just landline-based broadcasts) and, you guessed it, interactive media:

Projects may include high profile multi-part or single television and radio programs (documentaries and dramatic narratives); media created for theatrical release; performance programs; artistic segments for use within an existing series; multi-part webisodes; installations; and interactive games. Short films, five minutes and under, will be considered in packages of three or more. (Emphasis ours)

Of course, any developer who wants federal funding for his or her next game will be competing with filmmakers, TV producers, radio stars and now internet productions too. Still, it means that an aspiring game-maker with an idea for an artistic game - which would have to be available for free, mind you - might have a shot at making it without being beholden to a larger publisher.

Naturally, this wouldn't just be the AAA-style of game that we're all accustomed to. Not only is $200k laughably small to the sort of money that goes into your average Call of Duty or Portal, the NEA only offers grants to projects which it deems for the public good. It's a safe bet that whatever game projects it approves - if any - will likely be different from what we see on shelves at GameStop.

But really, whether or not this grant will fund the sort of games that you and I would play for fun in our free time is ultimately irrelevant. What matters is that the NEA now officially considers videogames worthy of artistic merit, which is pretty damn cool.

Can we now stop trying to ban them?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Of course they want to push the medium in ways it has been laking, games right now are a product made for an audience, not a personal meaningful creative project.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    So that means they can't be banned now? and devs can use "It's art." to counter close minded idiot protests?

Yes. Thank you.
  • CNecron518a
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Wow. Art declared and Art form. They'll be allowing women to vote next!... :p

Still...Great news, a step forward I spose.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Bah. I don't think videogames are art, and I don't want videogames trying to be art.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Bah. I don't think videogames are art, and I don't want videogames trying to be art.

I don't want video games to just try appealing to the biggest audiences.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    In other news, water is wet.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    ZacD wrote: »
    I don't want video games to just try appealing to the biggest audiences.

Unlucky!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    You have to remember one thing, games which will receive the funding need to be non-profit, and serve a beneficial thing to the audience at hand.

Having a game where you blow off the nads of a terrorist, vs the one where it teaches kids about sex are two opposite and yet prime same base example. Anyone recall the game Privates?
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well yeah water is wet - but if this creates some kind of niche breed of artistically appealing, innovative and thought-provoking games, I'm all for it! Free to play too, yeah!

Wouldn't this totally qualify for the grant ?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4lP31mZms0[/ame]
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Well yeah water is wet - but if this creates some kind of niche breed of artistically appealing, innovative and thought-provoking games, I'm all for it! Free to play too, yeah!

Wouldn't this totally qualify for the grant ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4lP31mZms0

Yes it would, but at the same time, they need to explain very clearly what his will serve as and how it can teach something to the audience through it's art.

It's very iffy and all, but generally, under a Government Body, your subsidized 'artwork' needs to carry weight more then average art out there, which then raises the question if that's all worth it for 200K.

For example, until to-date, I have yet to see a single example of a game or movie which thought eco-friendly attitude to the audience without blaring it in my face like a trombone of it's period, the last show I watched which actually had subtlety in it's message was the gritty 90's version of Sonic The Hedgehog, unlike that Ted Turner Turd, Captain Planet which had mixed useless messages.

I'm over thinking this maybe, but one thing is sure, this will show big studios that sometimes having a small team of capable guys on a budget will come up with creative solutions to expensive problems, and I hope they can take cue from this.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I don't know man, I don't think it's about educational material in the litteral sense (as in, a Save The Planet platformer, or a Sex Education rts). I see some good stuff there :

http://www.nea.gov/grants/recent/11grants/11AAE.php?CAT=Access&DIS=Artists%20Communities
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Roger Ebert chimes in: http://twitter.com/#!/ebertchicago/status/67006355168444416

Does anyone actually value this guys opinion anymore?
  • Docm30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Docm30 polycounter lvl 10
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Roger Ebert chimes in: http://twitter.com/#!/ebertchicago/status/67006355168444416

Does anyone actually value this guys opinion anymore?

Just because his opinion differs from mine doesn't mine I'll cease to value it.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roger Ebert is a product of a bygone age, where he hasn't left a pressing impression which will stay in the future.

Sorry, but while the guy does believe in good things, and usually I agree with him, sometimes, his blinded guardian like stance on certain things don't work. While I abhor 3D in movies, in I think they have a potential in games and could work.

Also, I didn't know who he was until he spoke on how games can never be art, and after some digging, I think half of the reason he is famous for is both insulting to me as a movie-goer and himself also as individual.

Yes, his opinions differs, and someone shouldn't stop valuing another persons opinion just for this, but this doesn't change the fact that his unmoving and rigid stance aren't helping.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    Ebert just thinks that art, by definition, can not be interactive. Not a terribly surprising viewpoint for a movie guy to have.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    the whole argument is stupid, if anything games would be a medium, not "art". painting is not art, there are paintings that are that were made by artists, the artists chose the medium of painting. there is a guy down at the beach that paints "you cant touch this" with his airbrush on t-shirts, so are they art? will they ever be in museums? if picasso was alive today and made a game, it would be art, no question. the medium does not dictate art, the artist does.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Art is subjective it true, and it is always carried around by it's medium of choice, but it clearly universally must inspire and bring emotion into play for it to be art. I can draw a picture of a naked lady, but that doesn't make it art, Picasso could that do, but unless he brings in a new perspective to it, drawing another naked lady won't do much for it to be called, even if created by a well known artist.

The reason for example, in the case of naked ladies, "The Birth of Venus" is warranted as art is because it brings a message and and idea to the table that at least, on some level, provokes a thought even to the most jaded individuals, even if it's a cliche of a naked lady.

In the case of games, we have much more going on, the ambiance, the environment, the characters and the most important one of them all, the gameplay mechanic and how it marries them all together in the world itself. That is a difficult road to overcome, something which the movies and artists had about between 100 to 2,000 years in perfecting...games, have barely more then a couple of decades under the belt.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    While my personal opinions on the topic of video games and contemporary art flip flop constantly, I think this will be very interesting to watch unfold. It can go in so many directions depending on the goals of the artist that applies for it. I've been seeing more and more interactive installations pop up in galleries, and while none of them could be considered a game, it still made me wonder if the time for videos games made as contemporary art was right around the corner.

I agree with Pior about Thatgamecompany. I definitely look at Journey as something that could be viewed as contemporary art. Mostly because it's all about the experience and interaction with no established goals laid out.

Although, I do get the feeling that whatever is created with this grant may have a hard time being recognized by both the art world and the gaming world. It always seems like both parties usually think they're not worth each other's time. I hope I'm wrong though, it might just be me being pessimistic.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    "Art is the product or process of deliberately arranging items (often with symbolic significance) in a way that influences and affects one or more of the senses, emotions, and intellect."

so... at what point have games NOT been art?
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    I posted this last time this discussion came up but it's still true:

842982636_LwDfj-L.jpg
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Art is subjective it true, and it is always carried around by it's medium of choice, but it clearly universally must inspire and bring emotion into play for it to be art. I can draw a picture of a naked lady, but that doesn't make it art, Picasso could that do, but unless he brings in a new perspective to it, drawing another naked lady won't do much for it to be called, even if created by a well known artist.

The reason for example, in the case of naked ladies, "The Birth of Venus" is warranted as art is because it brings a message and and idea to the table that at least, on some level, provokes a thought even to the most jaded individuals, even if it's a cliche of a naked lady.

In the case of games, we have much more going on, the ambiance, the environment, the characters and the most important one of them all, the gameplay mechanic and how it marries them all together in the world itself. That is a difficult road to overcome, something which the movies and artists had about between 100 to 2,000 years in perfecting...games, have barely more then a couple of decades under the belt.

And the interesting part is that historically a lot of the painted art made was on commission and never intented to be art in the sense we see those works of art today.

Something becomes art if the viewer or interacter thinks it is, same has happened with games.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    "Art is the product or process of deliberately arranging items (often with symbolic significance) in a way that influences and affects one or more of the senses, emotions, and intellect."

so... at what point have games NOT been art?

In this context the term "Art" is not referring to the webster's definition. The best way to put it, I think, is to consider the art world the topic refers to as a different form of entertainment like games, books and movies. It just happens to be called Art because there are not many other descriptive terms for it.

I don't really think this topic needs to fall into the whole "what is art" discussion.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So if we might get out of the "is it art" Moebius strip for a moment, do you think this announcement will have any real impact? Is there going to be any more legal weight afforded to games or is it literally just a case that indi folks will have another potential source of revenue.

We've had government funding available to games for years in Australia. I'm trying to decide whether this is some kind of useful precedent that'll help us beat our own government into getting their shit sorted on the whole R-rating debacle and start treating games and more importantly their makers with some damn respect.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    damn right they better recognize games as art!

They better recognize foo!!!!!!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Flow beat Shatter? Boo.