Home General Discussion

Layoffs at Obsidian

This is very weird, for I thought the industry was actually stable here for a while. Now I see this and it makes me afraid that more of these threads and articles will appear again like recent months. Anyways, good luck with those affected and hope you regain gracefully back on your feet soon.

Article:
http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=57290&st=0

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    well dungeon seige 3 is shipping soon so that would make sense to have layoffs at the end of project. probably just the usual shit. hope that game is good, fallout new vegas from them was decent, alpha protocol was shitty, but i love the old dungeon sieges so here to hopin'!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sad news... I wish the best for those effected. It still sounds like a tough market, good luck!

If they only loose 9 people then I don't think we're returning to the days of EA lays off 200+ in Nov, EA lays off 500+ in Dec, Activision closes 4 studios and lays off 300+. 6 dozen small studios bite the dust in as many months. Those where freaky times...

I think we're on a better path and if we can get some decent hardware soon along with an updated supply chain (digital distribution + retail) we will probably see more growth.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    How are these things decided? I know someone who was just hired there.

I'll tell you how. He was the first out ;)

Everyone. back. feet. on. hope.
  • CounterSeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CounterSeal polycounter lvl 10
    well dungeon seige 3 is shipping soon so that would make sense to have layoffs at the end of project. probably just the usual shit. hope that game is good, fallout new vegas from them was decent, alpha protocol was shitty, but i love the old dungeon sieges so here to hopin'!

That is absolutely the wrong attitude. I don't care if lay offs come seasonally, there is inherently something wrong with your business plan (or the industry at large) if you have to lay anyone off on a regular basis. Period.
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    That is absolutely the wrong attitude. I don't care if lay offs come seasonally, there is inherently something wrong with your business plan (or the industry at large) if you have to lay anyone off on a regular basis. Period.

Actually its a smart business plan, you ramp up employees due to workload requirements. Once the demands are met, you keep only the core team ongoing.
    Until the Project requires more man-power once again. There is no point paying any additional running costs. Especially as hefty as 10 or so Salaries.

At these times where its getting harder to actually win or fund a contract or I.P. Its risky and sole reliate on getting the most bang for your buck.

My 1st studio in the Industry, Started with the old story of a few guys - and over the years grew to 300 + people. They never fired anyone.
    When you have to secure 6 projects for 6 teams annually or overlapping can be really tough!
    and in the end they went Bust... ( i seen the signs early and disbanded )

The last Studio i worked for, hired a shit load of Inhouse contractors on the last 8 months of the game cycle. They knew their roles and how long they were their for. It was a shame would couldnt hire alot of them, as they were great talent. If we hired the 30 contract guys the studio would of shutdown already or another News post about Layoffs!

Its not nice at all to be let go, i think it should be the Studios obligation to inform the potential Employee, Why they are being hired - The possible duration of their contract.
    Basically the rules of the game.

The bad down side is, the Studio loses awesome Artists/Programmers/Designers/Producers etc
    When its time to ramp back up again, they are not available :(
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    smart business plan if it's contract based and people can expect that their job is over after project X is done and start looking for jobs in advance. If it's a real layoff ("son, we got news for you...") then it does sucketh.... good luck for everyone hit by this though!
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I dont know.....why would a company want to keep an entire QA team sitting idle when its a waste of money. this industry seems to be going towards the way film is done, ramping up with a ton of contractors at peak production, like others have said. here in vancouver its almost impossible to find a fulltime position, everything is contract usually between 6-11 months, but there is also a ton of 3 month contract work that seems to keep popping up.

I hate it really, makes you feel disposable and like you always have to be looking for work. you just have to stop feeling bad when 2 months left on your contract, you leave for another longer term gig, companies know you are not going to be super loyal when they hire you if its just contract, and wont hesitate to screw you over if it benefits them, so don't feel bad when you jump ship.

on the upside contractors can usually charge more beacause of a lack of benefits and you get raises more often if you are smart about it.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    know some of these peeps :[

sad.
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    yeh that would be awesome dustin!