Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WiP Low poly runner fellow

Howdy Polycounters.

Wasn't sure whether to start a thread for this or not but I am in need of aid from you fine assemblage of experienced peoples so shall share this now before going any further. I should be working on my Dominance War chick (please don't tell) but got way-laid by a sudden urge to make some pixellated texture goodness.

Not a particularly original character I'm afraid and heavily inspired by Brink, Mirror's Edge, those incredible TF2 low poly characters by Mr. Tallian and a whole bunch of other stuff in the low poly and mobile thread (which is full of win).

Ok, so ultimately I want to animate this guy (note: never animated anything before) loping along, smiting bad guys (or good guys) with his probably illegal baton and thought it would be fun if his hood could fall back and bob around as he runs. Is this feasible at this sort of resolution? Or even being able to have the hood in 2 states I suppose? I know nothing about this sort of thing. Any tips on topology, especially for limb deformation, would definitely be appreciated too!

lpgangrunnerwires.jpg

Edit: I fail at uploading gifs.

shadows_lite_gif.gif

Replies

• fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    You gonna texture this guy? You should, his silhouete looks great and the optimization is nice in my opinion.
    About animation...I am not expert, but I guess you gonna have a few problems:
    - his knees are fine, but I believe you gonna have issues in his pants. I see two ways of fixing that: raise the pants over the knees (bad solition) or move down the edge to the knee height.
    - maybe an extra edge will help raise the legs
    I hope this image explains what I said:
    2r2aqo7.jpg

The best way in my opinion is put some bones and try to move bones around...As I said those are guess, and maybe it gonna behave in another way... :P
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    Hmm, if you don't weigh the bottom front of the pants to the lower leg, but only to the thigh, the joint will just be hidden under there and it wont show him as having a missing knee (of course I can't see the topology of the leg part under the cloth). But the back hem would have to move.

Saw this in the low poly thread, continue please ;D