Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bristlen Morges rifle

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jackalope polycounter lvl 11
thought i would make its own thread to keep track of this project, and maybe to get some critiques.

compile.png

and my reference

L235b.jpg

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The edges of the barrel are too hard. I know its octagonal in the reference, but you should still chamfer the edge to soften the angle.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    You have a great model here, very nice and clean looking, i agree the octagonal edges are a little too tight but really it won't hurt anything since they are a fairly hard edge in the ref as well. Fixing it would be nice but not completely necessary. Don't forget the front sights ;)
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the replies guys.
    I'll loosen up the edges on the barrel a tad, they are chamfered a little, but they are probably a little on the tight side.
    as for the sites i dont really like the look of aperture sites, at least not on this gun. So i was thinking of doing an old style scope

something like this

Sh_Malcolm_GM_Sharpshooter_2_1_.jpg
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    worked on cleaning up some details. onto UV mapping i suppose

sidecopy.png
  • bonds0097
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought you were adding the scope? I thought that would be a cool addition, help break up the silhouette and make it more interesting to look at from FPV.
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ill probably go back and add the scope. but i want to finish the rifle first. i am on a schedule to finish the rifle, anything i add is just extra.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Love old guns like this. Really nice clean highpoly work.
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i havnt updated in awhile cause ive been busy with other things, and Ive been UV mapping, and thats boring. I finally got all the pieces mapped last night and did an initial packing.
    ZETvD.png
    After looking at it and hating the results I will probably give it another go tonight.
    Maybe make it a 1x2 texture instead of a 1x1. Maybe that would waste less space.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ing72M.jpg

So I'm assuming the top area circled in red is the trigger guard area, and if thats the case you could probably cut it up a bit more since its all the same material really, so seams shouldnt be too much of an issue.

those little wings on the long and tall piece can easily be cut off, they are taking up a huge amount of vertical space by not allowing that piece to move over to the left right now. all those little long pieces in the middle(pink) can probably be shuffled around into various thin areas.

The same can be said for the bunch of small bits circled in green. I think that keeping like pieces together is helpful for knowing where everything is, but usually theres some leeway in cases where you can save a bunch of space by spreading them around a bit.

I usually try to keep smaller bits like that that are similar in the same quadrant if possible, but if i can save a lot of space, i'll shuffle them around to fill small gaps.

I'm not sure what some of the pieces are, or where they belong on the model, but you should think about what exacly is going to be seen by the player. For example, the trigger guard is underneath the gun and most likely covered by a finger at least, so having seams on it to allow your map to be more efficient wouldnt really be noticeable unless they really zoom in on that trigger guard haha

you also have a lot of long and thin pieces overall, so you may want to think about doing a rectangle UV map if your engine allows it :) I'm not too experienced in them, but I'm sure you can find some good info floating around here!

Anyway, I hope i helped! keep it up!
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for that. It gave me some good ideas. I think doing a rectangular map would be better. I am going to try that out tonight.
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4R4T.png

so much happier with this result
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Why have you mapped both sides of the trigger guard separately? Isn't it symmetrical, or am I missing something?

Also, er, why are you UVmapping the highpoly? Unless this isn't for realtime, you're supposed to make a lowpoly model and unwrap THAT, then bake normals down from your highpoly.
  • percydaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's no way thats the high poly. You can say he might have some issues with the poly count on his low poly model, but that can't be the high poly looking at his screenshot of his finished model above.
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kitteh I i think you are confusing the trigger guard with the buttplate.

Also That is the high poly (I am using Maya's smooth mesh preview). This project was just for a render in mental ray. never meant to be for real time. I guess I should have said that in the beginning, I apologize for the confusion.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    If it's just for mental ray you don't need to get crazy with the UV's.. Right now you got some straight squares that's rotated and stuff.. Seems like it's a bit tight to..
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    had the chance to do a rough block in of the textures.

rzhg0.png
  • p3r4app01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    too much gloss wood
    more noise perhaps
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    worked on the texture a bit more tonight. just a screen grab cause mental ray wasn't being friendly tonight. Go here for full res and better details. http://i.imgur.com/aDMgQ.jpg

Or just be lazy and look at this smaller version.... its up to you...

owVDT.jpg
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slow progress is still progress,
    I think

Ey31e.png
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message