Home Technical Talk

Frustrated and jealous! rock sculpting help!

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    bugo wrote: »
    1 mesh

Did you set the focal shift really low to create those hard heights or did you inflate/offset with the modifier panel?
    tristamus wrote: »
    A bit closer to what I was getting at in my video...

rockwip1.jpg

You know, you can removes the brushes from ZData (you complained about this in the video) so it doesn't clutter up your screen space and put the remaining brushes which aren't used alot on your LightBox directory.

So you press B to get daily brushes and , to access LightBox to load more specialized brushes which you can use sparingly.

Another thing which I suggest is to switch to MatCap cavity for Sculpting rocks, not everyone will like the taste but I always found flipping between Cavity and Normal materials will help know how much dent I'm giving to my model and how they will look under an AO bake for a lowpoly.

Also, you may want to look into ClayPolish brush (LightBox) and try out some of the Pen brushes (enable ZAdd/Sub and disable RGB), they both will help greatly.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Very cool stuff Ace, I'l look into all that! =)
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Hey, here's the script of zbrush, for some reason im getting an error that instead of smoothing the rock its doing a noise. zScript sucks somehow :(

you guys can get the zscript here, if someone can help me capture that:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10617759/rockscript.rar
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, here's the script of zbrush, for some reason im getting an error that instead of smoothing the rock its doing a noise. zScript sucks somehow :(

you guys can get the zscript here, if someone can help me capture that:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10617759/rockscript.rar

Nice, I didn't know TrimBorder was so useful, I always hated it for some reason, but there is a use after all.

Also, I think that the Smooth Brush us being inverted in the ZScript, I suggest posting the forum @ Pixologic so they get this bug fixed.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    This thread is full of win. That wiki post is amazing.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Nice, I didn't know TrimBorder was so useful, I always hated it for some reason, but there is a use after all.

Also, I think that the Smooth Brush us being inverted in the ZScript, I suggest posting the forum @ Pixologic so they get this bug fixed.

Thx, its actually TrimSmooth border
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Is that script the tutorial video?!

I've been waiting for this. : )
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx, its actually TrimSmooth border

Don't worry, I'm stupid but not THAT stupid, haha*snort*haha (I shorten stuff TrimSmoothBorder -> TrimBorder).
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Uhm. I loaded the script but it doesn't seem to work. I'm using ZBrush 4.

I've loaded it via the Zscript plugin, but nothing happens (tried loading the obj mesh and have it active, then load, but nothing..).

This is the first time using Zscript so I might be missing something basic.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    did u go to the script window and pressed play?
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    synergy11 wrote: »
    Is that script the tutorial video?!

I've been waiting for this. : )

Not a tutorial, but just showing how to do the sharpen edges. It's buggy tho, since smooth it's actually doing a noise!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Don't worry, I'm stupid but not THAT stupid, haha*snort*haha (I shorten stuff TrimSmoothBorder -> TrimBorder).

No worries dude! ;)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 wrote: »
    Uhm. I loaded the script but it doesn't seem to work. I'm using ZBrush 4.

I've loaded it via the Zscript plugin, but nothing happens (tried loading the obj mesh and have it active, then load, but nothing..).

This is the first time using Zcript so I might be missing something basic.

You need to create a hugobeyer directory in your Users folder, and put all the files there.

Go to Zcript then, press load to load the Script, then press Hide Script (or press H) and you'll see a Lightbox like thing at the bottom. Press on play and the Zcript will start.

Also, when it asks you, select yes to initialize scene.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for explaining him Ace
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    its telling me theres an error that it can't open rock_test.obj, any ideas? ive done everything stated above edit: 400th post woo
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 wrote: »
    its telling me theres an error that it can't open rock_test.obj, any ideas? ive done everything stated above edit: 400th post woo

That's awfully vague, did you redownload and and make sure it wasn't corrupted?

On a totally shameless plug and all, but related with Rock Sculpting, I'm trying my hand at Golem making, in this thread:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84411

Anyone care to help me out in anatomy based rock sculpting?
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrismaddox3d polycounter lvl 17
    Not sure if anyone remembers this tutorial or not on rock sculpting,
    I think this one might help some of you guys out,
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/products/tutorials/vmo01/
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    that tutorial is good, but it doesnt explain so well how to get really hard edges on your sculpt. It does a good job explaining how to use mask alphas tho.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    that can be done by trimsmoothborder with gravity with a harsh angle.

Gravity can be found on the brush settings
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Couple of ways:

-As bugo said.
    -Use Slash-1 and Slash-2 alongside SmoothValley and SmoothPeaks brushes.
    -Use Zeoyn's Brushes, specifically, Cutter.*
    -Use the MoveRing/Thin Brushes with ValanceSmoothing.
    -Use MAH Cut Mech Brushes with EdgeBiasSmooth Brushes.*
    -Use Silvas Falloff Brushes.*

*Most of those Brushes have to be downloaded, so if you want, I can upload them later on to download (all credits got to their original authors). Although fair warning, I'm not sure which Brushes happen to be commercial (EI: Scott Spencer has some nice smooth brushes as well hard deflates which should make nice base dents in a rock formation but cannot upload it) vs. ones which are readily available (MAH brushes located here: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zb_topic_thumbs.php?t=75050&r=681295)
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    Hi,

i'm also having troubles to watch the script, same problem as Mik2121, i cant load the obj, using zbrush4.

nordahl154: for this one, it was even more simple, just standart brush, and planar brushes :p. But it was an old process tbh, ill try to show a better one, i'm using now. I have some time this week, so ill try to make that video.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    For the people having problems with the obj, can you load it yourself outside of the script? If so, you can initialize zbrush yourself, import the obj, then say no when the script asks you to initialize.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go to C:\Users and create a folder hugobeyer, and extract all the files in there.

Start the Script, click on Unhide and Click on the play the bottom in ZB.
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are my results using TrimsmoothBoarder and a High gravity setting.

http://img263.imageshack.us/i/trimgravity.jpg/

The effect is nice but how do I get the nice falloff on the top of the crack as well?

Thanks

Chris

EDIT: Does anyone know where to get those smoothvalley and smoothpeaks brushes?? :D
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having the same problem as gibson543. I've done everything as stated, made the foldr in the Users directory and everything, and get "Unable to Open File" (rock_test).

Also, thanks bugo and Ace-Angel. (Silva's extra sharp falloff brush works perfectly. Now I just need to practice.)

That would be awesome, Orb! hah
    No need to rush though, I can wait an indefinite amount of time.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are my results using TrimsmoothBoarder and a High gravity setting.

http://img263.imageshack.us/i/trimgravity.jpg/

The effect is nice but how do I get the nice falloff on the top of the crack as well?

Thanks

Chris

EDIT: Does anyone know where to get those smoothvalley and smoothpeaks brushes?? :D

I suppose you could use TrimDynamic to trim off the tops of those cracks and get a nice look... err something like that. :\
    Or you could just reverse the gravity and trace over it again I suppose.

SmoothValley and SmoothPeaks are in the Lightbox under "Brush".
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverse gravity of course! I'll try that.

Where did you get Silva's extra sharp falloff brush ?

Thanks!

EDIT: How do you change the angle of the Brush in zbrush?
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where did you get Silva's extra sharp falloff brush ?

I used my Google-fu, of which I have a fifth degree black belt.
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=48121
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE: Can't reverse gravity on brushes.

Does anyone know how to change brush angle in zbrush?

Thanks
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Here is a neat trick.
    Using most of the trim brushes and setting it to spray, you can get some nice details. If you really dig into an area you can get that nice mesa feel to your textures. You can use a square alpha as well depending on the details you want.
    here I used TrimSmoothBorder with the spray setting and just sculpted down hard where I wanted the pits and lightly where I wanted the wavy details at.
    2011-05-04_1821.png
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo wrote: »
    Here is a neat trick.
    Using most of the trim brushes and setting it to spray, you can get some nice details. If you really dig into an area you can get that nice mesa feel to your textures. You can use a square alpha as well depending on the details you want.
    here I used TrimSmoothBorder with the spray setting and just sculpted down hard where I wanted the pits and lightly where I wanted the wavy details at.
    2011-05-04_1821.png

Which spray are you using, normal or color? I'm getting weird results, did you do anything to the Brush properties?
  • Maligma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure how much this tut would contribute, but I've played around with it a couple of times and liked it: http://www.ryankingslien.com/?p=203. Hopefully it helps.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    DEElekgolo, that's brilliant, thank you so much!

Ace: I can get similar results using the normal spray, default settings. This is about two minutes of scribbling on a very generic rock-like base, first try using the technique:
    rock.png
    The trick seems to be using only light or heavy pressure. I did have some strange things happen when I went in between.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Which spray are you using, normal or color? I'm getting weird results, did you do anything to the Brush properties?
    It's really nothing special.
    Just the TrimSMoothBorder set to spray. If you dig into the same spot then you get the pits and if you go along the edges of it you get the wavy ridges.
    2011-05-04_2208.png

I should also mention that the brush samples its direction from the first surface you touch when making a stroke. If you are on a curved surface, you may need to use a lot more strokes since the brush its self is directional.
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Both look great!

Thanks.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, works now! Thank you people.

PS: It wasn't working because for some reason, my TrimSmooth had Topological 'ON' for some bloody reason.

On second look, it was actually pretty interesting...I got frustrated that I slammed the Alt key several times (Added and Subbed), and the first images was pretty much the 'problem', which on second look, doesn't look too shabby...

80841569.jpg
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good Ace! Although it looks cool, I'm afraid it doesn't look too realistic (first half) to me. You might have to fiddle around with it a little more.
    Second half looks great too, mate.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used the ClayBuildup brush to create the layers, and TrimDynamic to get that stylized look and some hard edges.
    I know the general shape isn't so original, but I think it 's really cool and thought it would be worth a try. Pretty rough at the moment, still a ways to go.
    Sort've going for the sedimentary layered look, I suppose I need to sharpen a few edges here and there.

I'm so fucked for high school in a few hours, but it was totally worth it. At least I've got motivation. :\
    Zzz...

Oh and thanks for the link Maligma. I had forgotten how to even out the polygon distribution with the Reproject Higher Subdiv tool. I used that to create the gap between the 2 most prominent stone formations.

tZ6VQ.png
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 wrote: »
    Looking good Ace! Although it looks cool, I'm afraid it doesn't look too realistic (first half) to me. You might have to fiddle around with it a little more.
    Second half looks great too, mate.

Oh good Lordy no, I'm not that crazy!

I was just saying that the first half doesn't look rocky because my brush had Topological on, but I got an interesting pattern in a localized area which remind of geological build up, kinda like the Elevation Maps you see.

Infact, I got a very similiar bake on map which reminds me of elevation maps with AO.

Also, did you try using the Relax modifier for the model? To relax the model distribution?
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    DEElekgolo wrote: »
    Here is a neat trick.
    2011-05-04_1821.png

Yeah, we use that here at work to create terrain, its really neat. Another one you can use with the spray is PlanarCutThin, which will make somewhat lines of erosion.

Happy brushing!
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I followed that Ryan Kingslien tutorial a few weeks ago. It's a great way to get boulder-esque type sculpts. But not that great for smooth planar cliff like rocks.

One thing i did not understand in that tutorial was the purpose of "polygon distribution with the Reproject Higher Subdiv tool"

Can you explain a bit what that does?

Thanks!

Chris.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Well, simple, it reprojects the level you are using to the last higher level you had. So per say you sculpted a lot on the high level, then you want to come to the lowest, smooth where you want to have less distortion and press the reproject higher subdiv tool, then it projects the low you have on your latest higher subdivision so it gets a less distorted mesh for you to sculpt on.
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks bugo.

Are you still going to talk about your techniques for rock sculpting you use?

You mentioned you used masking? How did that help your rock sculpts? :)
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Here's a test I made for something at work.
    Sculpt in Mudbox:

rockwallsculptpc.jpg
    Quick bake and texture pass (Xoliul Shader, Max viewport) Polycount: 2 tri's:

rockwallpc.jpg
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really nice, Prophecies! My only concern is that it might look weird when looking at it at a strong angle, being that the rocks look pretty big, because it's on a flat plane.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    nordahl154 wrote: »
    Looks really nice, Prophecies! My only concern is that it might look weird when looking at it at a strong angle, being that the rocks look pretty big, because it's on a flat plane.
    Thanks!

That's when MOAR GEO comes in to save the day! :)

rockpc2.jpg
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tell how you did it great sensei!
  • synergy11
    Options