Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: RyanWC

Hello everyone. I am very excited to be apart of this group.

I have been devoting myself to a lot of art study in the past few years. I have been taking figure drawing courses, figure sculpture courses, and painting courses at the community college that I'm going to. I have learned a lot, but my ambitions require me to learn even more, so I have decided to take part in the community and post my sketchbook art. My hope is that the other artists and designers will help broaden my understanding of art in general, and help perfect my art making in specific. So please, I welcome everyone to critique my work. I will take it as a great honor.

But before I post my work, I would like to let everyone know what my I am wanting to achieve in art. My number one goal is to make a career with it, specifically in the realm of concept art. I hope to create worlds, and populate those words with creatures, characters, environments and the like. So my main aim in my art is to have it communicate a message well, to entertain visually, provoke thought, and to work compositionally. I know that the nature of some sketches will be studies in which they will not fill all of those characteristics, but I will try to do my best.

~Ryan Cordin

:)

Replies

• RyanWC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the beginning pages of my sketchbook. most of them are only 5 minute sketches. I will do some more time extensive sketches working on anatomy and facial details later. The last one is a ps painting based on one of the thumbnails.

Scan-110401-0001.jpg

Scan-110401-0002.jpg
    Scan-110401-0003.jpg

Scan-110402-0001.jpg

• RyanWC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more sketches done between classes.

Scan-110408-0008.jpgScan-110408-0007.jpgScan-110408-0006.jpgScan-110408-0005.jpgScan-110408-0003.jpgScan-110408-0001.jpg
  • RyanWC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another sketch, plus a few digital pieces that I have been trying to work on. I don't know I seem to be at a dead stop with both of them. I don't know what to do to resolve either of them....

Scan-110224-0001.jpg
    dragowars.jpgadobecontest6.jpg
  • RyanWC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here are a few more sketches not in my sketchbook, but on the back of my homework...
    Scan-110408-0010.jpg
    Scan-110408-0011.jpgScan-110408-0009.jpg
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    lovely work, you have lots of potential keep at it, you're making me keen to get back to drawing - but first to finish this blasted 3D folio XD.
  • RyanWC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you. I have been trying to push myself to draw at least 7 hours a week on top of my studio classes. I really need to get into the darn 3d... I have both maya and max and yet I still have to learn it... I keep on feeling like I need to just focus on my drawing and painting skills first...
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
  • RyanWC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you. Any suggestions on how to improve? on the paintings I figure they are not going anywhere further. the focal point is supposed to be the girl. yet the eye goes to the background and doesn't really want to move from that. and the other one...well i don't know. I think it's too vibrant... It's too bold imo. The lines are bold. The color is bold. And composition is bold. I think by making so many things bold, I made it weaker.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Well, with the painting you'll need to change up your contrast zones. If you want her to be the center of attention, then I'd suggesting an additional light source highlighting the other side of her body. I'd also suggest making the composition bigger; maybe adding more space on the left side of the canvas to show what she's running from.

Shifting your pictures highlight can be solved with a few simple things:
    -changing the areas of the highest light and dark contrast
    -adding a more dynamic line of motion to the composition to lead the eye
    -using the rule of thirds more toward your advantage

Right now your picture has nice singular elements that have their own qualities and details, but they don't really help the image as a whole package. Adding subliminal lines leading into the intended focal point, in this case maybe her head, like rock grooves, sharp weapons or claws or something, or even lighting changes.

Her details right now are really nice, but try illuminating the side closer to the viewer more. It might help make her pop more than just having the rim light from explosion in the background lol.

Another quick thing: I'd suggest moving her back leg into a more extended position. It might really amplify the feeling of motion. Right now it doesn't read as well as a run rather than just a weird pose haha.
  • RyanWC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suburbbum wrote: »
    Well, with the painting you'll need to change up your contrast zones. If you want her to be the center of attention, then I'd suggesting an additional light source highlighting the other side of her body. I'd also suggest making the composition bigger; maybe adding more space on the left side of the canvas to show what she's running from.

Shifting your pictures highlight can be solved with a few simple things:
    -changing the areas of the highest light and dark contrast
    -adding a more dynamic line of motion to the composition to lead the eye
    -using the rule of thirds more toward your advantage

Right now your picture has nice singular elements that have their own qualities and details, but they don't really help the image as a whole package. Adding subliminal lines leading into the intended focal point, in this case maybe her head, like rock grooves, sharp weapons or claws or something, or even lighting changes.

Her details right now are really nice, but try illuminating the side closer to the viewer more. It might help make her pop more than just having the rim light from explosion in the background lol.

Another quick thing: I'd suggest moving her back leg into a more extended position. It might really amplify the feeling of motion. Right now it doesn't read as well as a run rather than just a weird pose haha.

Lol, I get what you mean. I actually did tweak the things that you suggested. After doing them, I really was not feeling the picture. My theme changed somewhere while I was actually doing the painting from the sketch, and I think that was when it started to fail compositionally. I really do need to work on doing finished pictures more. I want to be able to execute a terrific painting when I try. Also i think another thing I need to work on is get over my want to not use references whatsoever. I have this thing where I try to picture in my mind exactly what I want and absolutely refuse to use references. I think this hinders me in that my memory is not 100%. things tend to be more simplified than what is in real life. Then again, I have always been doing this, and my ability in art has improved since when I started...so Idk
  • RyanWC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I have been doing sketches, but I only have one that I want to share. so here it is:
    Scan-110415-0001.jpg
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    RyanWC wrote: »
    Lol, I get what you mean. I actually did tweak the things that you suggested. After doing them, I really was not feeling the picture. My theme changed somewhere while I was actually doing the painting from the sketch, and I think that was when it started to fail compositionally. I really do need to work on doing finished pictures more. I want to be able to execute a terrific painting when I try. Also i think another thing I need to work on is get over my want to not use references whatsoever. I have this thing where I try to picture in my mind exactly what I want and absolutely refuse to use references. I think this hinders me in that my memory is not 100%. things tend to be more simplified than what is in real life. Then again, I have always been doing this, and my ability in art has improved since when I started...so Idk
    Yeah deffinately have to get over your fear of refference to really start improving.
    I know for me I sometimes hate looking at reffs cuz they make it blatently obvious what needs improving, and I sometimes want to keep living in my fantasy and convince myself It looks okay.
    But once you really break down your ego and observe you can do some amazing work.

Your work looks good, but it looks really 'fun' and not as disciplined as it could be
  • RyanWC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »
    Yeah deffinately have to get over your fear of refference to really start improving.
    I know for me I sometimes hate looking at reffs cuz they make it blatently obvious what needs improving, and I sometimes want to keep living in my fantasy and convince myself It looks okay.
    But once you really break down your ego and observe you can do some amazing work.

Your work looks good, but it looks really 'fun' and not as disciplined as it could be

What do you mean by fun? Would you say my work here looks "fun" : ryanwc.deviantart.com
  • RyanWC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have been working on another project. This time it is going exactly like I wanted. It is mixed media. Some digital then printed and Prismacolor on top for detail.
    IchooseScanNetVers.jpg