Old (#1)
Hi guys, i want to show my first steps with udk engine.

Offline , vertex, 29 Posts, Join Date Jul 2009, Location Madrid (Spain)  

Old (#2)
GEEZ! This level is HUGE! It took over a six minute video just for you to run through it. Do you ever plan to finish this or will it be a life-long project?

Others: Watch this vid, you'll be surprised how little is show in this screenshot
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,448 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Denver, CO Send a message via ICQ to cholden  

Old (#3)
^^ Agreed.

Eh, I can't add a lot myself, but that is fucking huge, I can't even begging thinking of how you are going to do all that by yourself, my head would explode and is it stands I like my head.
Good choice of music in the video, really sucked me in.

And there is no option to just watch the screenshot, it's not at all representative for the level.

Looking forward to some updates
Andreas StrÝmberg
Looking for work.
Portfolio - www.strombergart.com
Online , dedicated polycounter, 1,611 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Norway Send a message via Skype™ to Stromberg90  

Old (#4)
Wow!
WOOW!

What a fantastic sense of scale, I was prepared to turn off the video when I heard chris saying its a long video, but then I just started to get mesmerized, and wanted to know what is next, and it didn't disappoint.

Nothing much to crit, but I am really feeling the overall style as well, I have no idea what type of texturing you will be doing, but maybe take a look at ICO or Shadow of the Collosus... or maybe even take a look at the new PSN game Journey...

I'm really impressed, and I can't wait to see more!
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,530 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005, Location Toronto, Ontario  

Old (#5)
I see you are doing some inspiring things with landscape system. How did you do caves though is my only question.

Last edited by Hugh; 03-22-2011 at 10:12 PM..
Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities!
Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.
- Norman Vincent Peale
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,563 Posts, Join Date Dec 2009, Send a message via Skype™ to Hugh  

Old (#6)
HAHAHAAH awesome!!!
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,360 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009, Location Niagara Falls, Ontario  

Old (#7)
Daaaayyymmmmnnn!

Realistically speaking, this is insane for a one man job, and you are going to have to drastically cut down on quality or scale if you want to see this through to finish,

Unrealistically speaking... fuck what I just said, this is epic! I can tell you probably have a very clear picture of how you imagine alot of the big scenes to look when it's finished. I seriously wish you all the best with this, it's impressively ambitious!
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,802 Posts, Join Date Oct 2008, Location UK Send a message via Skype™ to fearian  

Old (#8)
Very awesome. Looking forward to seeing more.
Offline , polygon, 602 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Kirkland WA Send a message via AIM to JDinges  

Old (#9)
+1 for conan music. this thing is amazing and i hope you finish it. ill be cheering you on!
Offline , spline, 240 Posts, Join Date Nov 2006, Location Washington  

Old (#10)
CRUNK
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,791 Posts, Join Date Sep 2009,  

Old (#11)
Really awesome layout and scale. As others have said, that is a ton for one person to do beyond the blockout but good luck to you with wherever you plan to take it! I love the feel of the environment.
UneditablePoly: Digital Sketchbook
http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=64789
Offline , spline, 240 Posts, Join Date Aug 2009, Location CT, US Send a message via AIM to uneditablepoly Send a message via MSN to uneditablepoly Send a message via Skype™ to uneditablepoly  

Old (#12)
Wow the scale of this is huge! And nicely done as well.

I couldn't help but think the stair cases and the rooms area are scaled a bit big? Seemed like everything before that was fine and after, but it seemed like it was a dwarf running around those stairs.

Is it just me?
Offline , polygon, 550 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009, Location Melbourne, Australia  

Old (#13)
I love that UDK lighting. why go so big with your first time in UDK?
Offline , triangle, 267 Posts, Join Date Aug 2009, Location North East England  

Old (#14)
O_O

That was amazing. You could totally imagine that as a kick-ass RPG or MMO environment!
Offline , polycounter, 867 Posts, Join Date May 2008, Location United Kingdom Send a message via Skype™ to Tyler  

Old (#15)
I hardly ever gape my mouth open in amazment.
But I did during the throne room
This level is emotionally powerful, the vast scale and layout makes the spacing so perfect that it draws me in.

See this to the end, and you will have something that will make an impact on the game-art community for years. Set the standard.

[EDIT] And this really had a Shadow of the Colossus feel, I attribute that to the massive scale of everything. That is not an easy thing to do.

Last edited by Makkon; 03-22-2011 at 09:59 PM..
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,069 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005, Location Utah, USA  

Old (#16)
That just blew my mind. Make this into a game!!!! The music definitely makes you feel immersed in this world. Who made the musical score?! What 5 star chef do they have cooking back there man.
Offline , triangle, 378 Posts, Join Date Sep 2008, Location Narnia  

Old (#17)
Reminds me of something Team Ico would make...but god damn, good luck finishing this!
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,183 Posts, Join Date Jun 2009, Location San Diego, CA Send a message via AIM to ErichWK  

Old (#18)
Hi again guys,

Thanks to all for the comments.
This level is a middle-size map because i had many ideas in my head in the design process (maybe too much, ) , about the size of the rooms and the stairs you are right about scale, the map is sized in meters, i put 25 cms for single stair and the distance from the floor to the window is about 1 m., really i think that will be better reduce everything at 70-80 in UDK engine for better sensations, .
This is only the design part, the second step in my process is detailed some elements with zbrush, next mapping, next texturing, next..., yep, is a crazy job, but now i have a few hours by day because i dont have a job, .

Old (#19)
lovin the throne room! awesome scale !
Offline , spline, 245 Posts, Join Date Jul 2006, Location Bay Area, Brisbane  

Old (#20)
Wow great looking blockout right now. Very epic and great choice of music in your video.
Great variation in your level as well. Im mind blown how big it is. You really have your work cut out for you

Though I know its still very early but you might want to add more blocked off side paths to your level. Right now it feels very linear so by adding more it will create a better sense of realism and that the world is bigger then what the player is going to see.

Really looking forward to see you finish this one!
Good luck!
Offline , spline, 140 Posts, Join Date Mar 2010, Location Sweden  

Old (#21)
Awesome, i hope you share your work process along the way? would love to see how you break this down and tackle some of the tech/time hurdles you may run into.

So far the construction looks clever, the mountains, caves, bridge, large castle wall and individual rooms should serve to stream in/out enough data to keep it looking fresh and running smooth

Last edited by Lennyagony; 03-23-2011 at 01:59 AM..
Offline , polygon, 552 Posts, Join Date Sep 2009, Location Australia  

Old (#22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshima View Post
Hi again guys,

Thanks to all for the comments.
This level is a middle-size map because i had many ideas in my head in the design process (maybe too much, ) , about the size of the rooms and the stairs you are right about scale, the map is sized in meters, i put 25 cms for single stair and the distance from the floor to the window is about 1 m., really i think that will be better reduce everything at 70-80 in UDK engine for better sensations, .
This is only the design part, the second step in my process is detailed some elements with zbrush, next mapping, next texturing, next..., yep, is a crazy job, but now i have a few hours by day because i dont have a job, .
how did you do the caves?
Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities!
Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.
- Norman Vincent Peale
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,563 Posts, Join Date Dec 2009, Send a message via Skype™ to Hugh  

Old (#23)
Yeah this really is awesome! Like other people i thought i was going to get bored but i really didnt! It was awesome to see what was coming next and what else could possibly be around the corner! I also found myself just imagining what everything would look like once finshed.

Well done man I really hope you get this finished
Junior artist at Reloaded Productions

Portfolio

www.danieldextertaylor.com
Offline , polycounter, 825 Posts, Join Date Feb 2010,  

Old (#24)
Dude, I cried when I watched this.

I would kismet and matinee the shit out of this thing. Like seriously.
Offline , spline, 249 Posts, Join Date Oct 2009, Location Singapore Send a message via MSN to crasong Send a message via Yahoo to crasong  

Old (#25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hboybowen View Post
how did you do the caves?
In this design process everything is 3ds max 2011, i make some experiments while i model the meshes for make more easy the work, and finally i found a not too fast system but very usefull, the cave is a suimply box grid with many extrudes plus "relax" modifier.