Old (#1)
Never been particularly good at competitive fighting games, but always enjoyed them. Some of the fondest memories from my youth are of powering up the SNES and holding Street Fighter 2 tournaments between my friends and family.

One of my favorite "stages" was always Zangief's USSR Factory.

Not quite sure where I'm going to go with it yet, but the final product won't be exceptionally far from this:

Thanks and good luck, cant wait to see everyone's results.
Offline , line, 73 Posts, Join Date Mar 2011, Location LA, CA.  

Old (#2)
Woah! It's been some time...

Been very busy with other matters over the past week, finally got to sit down today and get busy on this.

This is a very, very early block out. I am aware that almost everything is out of place or not finished

Didn't really plan anything out too much early on, and I think it's showing. (aka everything is currently a hot mess) But I somewhat enjoy that, to an extent. Every image I viewed after searching "Steel mill factory" in google had me thinking the same thing, "What is going on with all this sh*t?"

I'm hoping towards the end the actual "stage" of the battle (the first few yards in front of the camera) will immediately remind the viewer of the classic USSR factory, while everything going on "behind" will be "new" and re-invented.

What I see / Where I'm going in my head (sort of...)
HOT RED MESS EVERYWHERE.

Old (#3)
Early wall and floor assets, still some work to do on each.

Old (#4)
Some more.

Old (#5)
Some Zangief sized modular steel.

Last edited by lonelysquare; 03-31-2011 at 04:33 PM..

Old (#6)
Great start! I'm excited to see another Zangrief's stage in this competition. Good Luck.
Alex Engelmann - Portfolio Looking for an environment artist position.
Offline , line, 93 Posts, Join Date Aug 2007, Location Minneapolis  

Old (#7)
looking hot... love the material work on the tiles, udk?
"The world does not start and stop at your convenience you miserable piece of shit." - Walter.
Offline , null, 21 Posts, Join Date Mar 2011,  

Old (#8)
Thanks blot, your work looking killer so far.

Quote:
looking hot... love the material work on the tiles, udk?
Donny, you are out of your element. Jk, no your not. And these are just screengrabs from max viewport. No fancy UDK materials just yet, just pushing the poly count somewhat.

Old (#9)
Some more basic assets, just to prove I am alive. Should have a basic UDK build soon.

Old (#10)
Thought it was about time to put some assets into UDK and get a basic "feel" of what I wanted...

I am aware almost everything can be improved, but let me know what you think so far, thanks.

Old (#11)
Well, I've been following your topic discreetly but forgot to reply and your last UDK confirmed one of my fears, that all the materials look the same, and normal maps if there are, have almost no effect here, so it looks like you mapped the scene with one single metal tile very well, and that's all.

Playing with lighting will help you get more tones/colors tho, but you'll need some more steel/iron variations, spec maps too. In fact spec maps is what you should focus on since a well good 70% of your image is metal.

Portfolio - Freelance Environment Artist Looking for work
My Mars Rover Thread using SD4/UE4
My art blog
Offline , polycounter, 920 Posts, Join Date Feb 2009, Location Belgium  

Old (#12)
That was exactly one of my concerns. I'll work on it, thanks Paro.

Old (#13)
very impressive!
Offline , triangle, 314 Posts, Join Date Sep 2006, Location Blizzard  

Old (#14)
*Thanks joe.

You know when you are so sick you can't even sit in front of a computer? Blah.

Anyways, over it now. Moving on. Time for an update!

Closer to what I want as a "final" shot. Still working on the lighting, still working on the lava shaders, still working on plenty of the diffuse maps (read: add some color) ... and more "filler" assets. But getting there... (not sure how I feel about the DoF (or adding any at all??))

Please, crit and suggest away!

Thanks!

Last edited by lonelysquare; 04-16-2011 at 02:34 AM..

Old (#15)
I like your lava. I can almost feel the heat coming off of it. I'd think about adding some different colored light sources. Your scene is a little monochromatic at the moment. Another thing i'd look at is the scale of your chains. Maybe i'm looking at it wrong, but the chain links seem a little big to me. I'm excited to see the next update!

Old (#16)
Hey Blot.

Yea lighting I'm still working on... Planning on adding a small amount of sunshine out of some windows and/or some lights around the scene.

And the chains I couldn't help but make large, kept picturing Zangief throwing those things around. I'll look into it.

Old (#17)
the lava coupled with sweet materials is creating a great sense of heat! I agree with blot -- the bigger the chain the thicker the link looking sick!
Offline , polycounter, 933 Posts, Join Date Jan 2008, Location Hollywood, CA Send a message via Skype™ to r4ptur3  

Old (#18)
An update!

Lemme know what I can fix. Thanks!

Old (#19)
needs more anti-aliasing ;)
I think the windows under the roof could use some lightshafts or some hint of a sky. just blue looks a little weird I think. but thats just something really small, the rest is absolutely stunning.
Offline , null, 23 Posts, Join Date Jan 2011, Location Germany  

Old (#20)
Quote:
needs more anti-aliasing ;)
yea, definitely. These are just screengrabs from the udk viewport, should look better when I make my computer do some work

and I agree about the windows. Thanks Timeyy.

Old (#21)
Great work lonelysquare. Great last update, what I like about it is that it adds some color variation. The lighting in the foreground also makes things more interesting. However one thing I liked about the previous state were the darker areas in the back. It kind of kept the background the background.

Anyways, looking forward to more updates!
Offline , spline, 139 Posts, Join Date Aug 2005,  

Old (#22)
Right now there's a lot of conflicting lines in your composition, I think you could use lighting/fog to help break our the larger shapes. The top right of the image shows this the most, there's the horizontal beams and structures of the ceiling, then the diagonals of the midground structure, then vertical lines of the foreground pillars. Maybe use fog to de-contrast the ceiling, and darken it's lighting some?
Jordan Walker - Senior Technical Artist - Epic Games
ART BLOG
Twitter
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,530 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Cary, NC Send a message via ICQ to JordanW  

Old (#23)
Quote:
However one thing I liked about the previous state were the darker areas in the back. It kind of kept the background the background.
I agree. Whenever I add a "lightmassimportancevolume" in UDK everything brightens up (as I assume it is calculating bouncing light correctly) and I have such trouble getting my dark areas dark I've since added some reddish fog in the distance and in UDK's post I should be able to darken up my shadows a bit. I'll work on it.

Quote:
Right now there's a lot of conflicting lines in your composition
Totally As you can see in my original "plans" the background structure was more aligned with the foreground but it was just so boring. I plan on adding some pretty large USSR flags hanging off some edges, hopefully that can break things up a bit. Plus I've got a lot of work to do still on lighting.

On second thought, how about I send you my map files and you fix the lighting? Based off what I've seen in that bath house I think I'd be in good hands

Thanks for the crits, I'll get to work.

Old (#24)
Good GOD I'm surrounded by a tsunami of talent. It's insane. So much skill everywhere, It's intimidating and inspiring at the same time. It's also an honor to be able to submit something along with these (unbelievably talented) artists.

That being said! ... Here is something real close to the final shot. I was away from the computer for around a week on vacation and when I got back I switched a lot around. Still have to add / fix some stuff but not worrying about that until the very end. Let me know what you think and what I can fix in the next 48 hours.

Again, thanks.

Old (#25)
This is looking sa-weet! I love the lava, it real feels like it's hot. The one thing that sticks out to me is the saturation of the logo on the ground. I think that the paint would stay that red for too long in an environment like that. Everything else looks great. Good job!