Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] MK vs DC - The Joker, Scrawld

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
scrawld polycounter lvl 12
So I'm gonna be a pain and do the Joker. To justify doing a comic book character I'm going to turn him into a kind of street fighting bar brawler. As if he turned up in the middle of Fight Club.

So.....

5531287673_b2e60b3a9f_t.jpg

The latest:
5539622713_5d690e935e_b.jpg

5579910571_1d3b5a0631_b.jpg

Replies

• iansmithartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iansmithartist polycounter lvl 14
    Great idea! Like the pic too.
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A some sketches to get things going. 2D isn't my strong point :/.

5532401830_7394e3f8e3_z.jpg
  • Digital Cantina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Digital Cantina polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome concept, if your gonna go brawler id say go Dark Knight and make it warpaint
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers :]. I agree, I think war paint is the way forward. I'm also thinking of having blood smeared across his face instead of red face paint. As though he's already been in a fight.

I created a quick mesh in zbrush and used it to create some thumbnails to explore some different ideas. I still want to keep him tall and relatively thin. I'm just not entirely sure on the clothing yet.
    5537922044_90a2b39b4b_z.jpg5537347495_d38822e870_z.jpg
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    first picture second row....love it, maybe combined with the waist coat from picture four - top row?
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    i like the idea but i think you should push the silhouette some more
  • iansmithartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i hear what seth is saying. The plasters up the arms looks good too, and the suspenders hanging down.

Are you going for the classic joker face or the heath ledger's joker style war paint? Or somewhere in between?
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments. I've combined the bits and pieces that I felt worked best.

@ Ravenslayer Cheers for the suggestion. I've tried to add stuff that would break up the silhouette. Baggier trousers, big boots, bracelets and the like.

@ Ian and Seth ty for the input. My first thought was to do warpaint without question. But whilst doing these it occurred to me that so long as it fits the theme it can be anything. So I gave bandages a go, which I kind of dig.

Might also try to work a pattern into the shirt and/or trousers. Either something subtle or something verging on outlandish, like the tops Brad Pit wears in fight club. Joker related of course :P.

5539622713_5d690e935e_b.jpg
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made some progress with base sculpt. Strikes me as a little to generic at the moment. Any C&C are most welcome.
    5555808035_ababb3e294_b.jpg
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the advice dustinbrown. Heres a little update. I think I might still need to scale down the head some more.

5579910571_1d3b5a0631_b.jpg
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    I like the direction you're going with the concept. For your sculpt, the arms are a little short and they feel too skinny, especially in the wrist.
  • corinne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Liking the concept and idea :) . I think the legs on your sculpt could be a little longer.
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips Sebeurco and Corinne, I think I'll have to give the proportions a tweak :].
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tweaked the proportions and added definition to the shirt. The wrinkles are a bit messy in places and so to be cleaned up.

Also played around with some facial scarring.

In this incarnation Batman leaves the Joker to be viciously attacked by the mob. They kill his family and tortue him, leaving him for dead. When he wakes his minds completely lost and he takes on the persona of the Joker.

Or something like that anyway :poly142:.

5592751807_303a5ae69c_b.jpg
  • iansmithartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely improvements. The folds in the shirt are looking good. However his wrists are looking a little thin, and his hands are quite big. The arms overall do need some anatomical work. That area stands out the most to me.

I know this is still WIP but he dosn't strike me as the joker yet, of course the colours of his clothes and skin will play a big part in that, but he doesn't have the crazy grin and such that I associate with the character.

Be interesting to see where you go with the scars. The heath ledger joker pushed even further, maybe something akin to the Punisher's "Jigsaw".
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips Ian. Now that you mention it the hands to seem pretty huge (they're yet to be changed, but next on the list).

I've been pushing along with the head mostly, trying to make him look more sinister and creepy. Also added some more detail here and there. Colours were added just for contrast, nothing to with the final thing.

5619892658_38fd619955_b.jpg