Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

50s Pin up

Hi,

Heres a sculpt i've been working on while waiting for the run up to dominence war. Its inspired by the work of Chris Sanders and 1950s pin up models, trying to play around with style and proportions. Still needs texturing and im not quite decided yet if i want to do the low poly or just keep it as a nice sculpt and maybe try my hand at 3d printing. Anyway any crits before i take it further would be welcome :)

edit : Updated down at the bottom:)

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Dude, this is awesome.

Since it's utterly essential for a pinup, i'd sort out the anatomy on her ass a bit -- The forms dont look naturally connected to the legs in this pose. You're going to have to struggle through looking up some reference.

Also, you obviously know this, but her weight isn't really on her feet at all, she's kindof floating half above ground. Plant her on the balls of those feet and maybe the legs/pose will flow more naturally?
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice sculpting.

I gotta agree with SupRore on the balls of the feet. You've got such a nice weight to everything else, it feels a shame to not show it in the pose.

There's something of the face that's not sitting right with me, though. Her face looks slightly gaunt with thin lips. Perhaps plump out the cheeks a little, to give her a more youthful look and open the mouth a little to flash some teeth?
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Hi! Great sculpt! I really like her natural look even though the proportions are slightly exaggerated. An iris or two wouldn't hurt. Just kidding. My only real crit is foot related. In my opinion the ends of the fibula and tibia on the ankle are way up. Anyway :thumbup:
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    Loving it.

I think the philtrum may be a little too deep, and if you want to better match Chris Sander's style, you need to shorten the distance between the nose and the lips. They may help with the weirdness in that area.

And yes, the balls of the feet need some more love and weight to go with everything else.
  • AtomicClucker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving the stylized sculpting thus far.

Look at either strengthening the ridge of the nose or least shorten the distance between the eyeline, and nose, and perhaps the lips.
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok first update on this model in quit a while. Finally got through with the sculpting and textures, my first attempts at using cgfx shaders as well (there was a lot of hair tearing trying to get them to work:(. Its pretty damn high poly so i guess it can't really count as in game anymore:P but i wanted to try sculpting a pose and getting the weight right. Any crits before I take it further are welcome, gonna take one of the images to do a final illustration with next. Maybe get it printed out? never had any experiance with that though

3quarters.jpg

back1.jpg

front1.jpg
  • n88tr
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point on the nose fold, toned it down and i think its come out better. Added some detail into the umbrella although if i go to far it sticks out from the rest of the model, i think with a little detail it looks better though. Not sure about making the front foot flat or heal down, having her on tip toes i like the line of action running up the body, i recon this would be lost if i changed the foot position, i have move the heal a little down though. Anyway uploaded an updated image and video, onwards to the illustration next!

link to the turn around
    http://vimeo.com/27059025

3quarters2.jpg
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok resurecting this thread as i finally got round to finishing off the final illustration! pretty happy with the way this turned out:)
    cleo.jpg
  • Pickle
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Great work! The umbrella could use a tad of transluceny imho, but pretty sweet otherwise!
    Is this an in-engine shot?
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its rendered using cgfx shaders in Maya Hardware rendering. I had it up and running in marmoset but prefered the rim lighting in maya. Its got decent topology but is pretty high poly so i doubt you could get it running in a game but i wanted to aim towards sculpting a pose and getting the weight distribution right then decided i may as well texture it once the sculpt was done
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    Great style! Has tons of character to it, I want to see more of these.
  • kevlar jens