Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Two wip characters, cowgirl and dude.

schebbe
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
schebbe polycounter lvl 8
Hey. I am currently working on two characters for my portfolio and I wanted to show them in order to get som fresh new eyes on them.

I really need a girl in my portfolio so I decided to make a cowgirl. Still some stuff missing like whip, gun etc. Her design isnt final yet, still thinking about what kind of accessories/hair that would fit. I want her to look good but still dangerous.

girlwip07.png

This guys design is even less developed, havent really decided what kind of character he will be. Might make him a good guy but with the looks of a big brute :P

brute.png

He started out as a head, then I decided to make an entire character out of him. I used fast_skin on him and maya fur the hair and beard. The eyebrows is made of polygon cones then placed manually :P

kapic13b.png

Replies

• haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, nice work. Both models are looking great, but the guy looks a little more thought out at the moment. For the woman, it's almost like you were going for a certain body and face type (somewhat muscled and intimidating), but then you tried to make her sexy in how she's dressed. Her shirt looks somewhat oversized (how it hangs so loosely and lacks crisper edges), and maybe that's what is taking away from the sexiness. The head render looks very good.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Great anatomic and sculpting skills, like the male character face expression...looks so unharmful. Good luck with the design direction, any ideas of the setting or backstory to these characters? a cowboy versin of Bonnie and Tyler?
  • schebbe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai: Thanks :D Yes I wanted her to look feminine but still strong both in physique and character. Do you think I should tighten up her shirt?
    The head was just an experiment, trying to render with mental ray fast_skin :) it was before I decided to make a full body real-time character out of him :)

c0ldhands: thank you :) No not really, but I will take some time to think about that. It will help alot when trying to give them more personality.
    They are not going to be related. He will be from the present and she is from the wild west.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome work, cant wait to see them done ^^
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The chick is deffinantly too buff for my taste aswel. If you want her to look strong, I'd tighten up her muscles instead of giving her an almost male proportion.

The male colours bust, however, is kick ass. Only thing is that the eyes might be a TINY bit too close together. But thats nitpickeing. Looks awesome.
  • schebbe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill: thanks :)

JGcount: Thanks, will look over her proportions :) Is there any special body part or is she just too buffed overall? Thank you :) was one of my first tries with a skin shader :) by the way, I saw The Saga of Biorn last week awesome stuff :D

Here is how the girl looks partially nude, with her boots on. Will try to get her a bit slimmer and more feminine.

girlnude.png

I will upload undressed pictures of the guy tomorrow.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Great work man! I especially like your portraits lately. Awesome work. I like the bold colors. I agree with the comments on the female. I think her ribcage is too wide.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    schebbe wrote: »
    haikai: Thanks :D Yes I wanted her to look feminine but still strong both in physique and character. Do you think I should tighten up her shirt?

I'm not sure. I guess it depends on what you're going for. Her combination of toughness and sexiness feels more like 2 polarizing extremes which is kind of odd to me, but who knows? Maybe it could work out in the end when it's all posed and textured.

Her upper body does look kind of odd to me without the shirt. Maybe her shoulders need to be wider or her rib cage is too wide as ivars suggested?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    She's pretty powerfully built, but I think it works for a character who works on the land, rides horses around and whatnot, although you could probably relax the shoulders a smidgen. As for the ever present calls to make her soft, girly and generic, I'd keep her tough-as-nails and give her some more suitable attire instead.
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah. as ivars said, its definantly the ripcage that is too wide. If you wanna show that she is trong, perhaps focus more on the abs, thats where muscles seem to show the most on women.

Also, moving her croch area a tiny bit up would make her more feminine aswel - but I am not sure you wanna do that.

And I'm happy your liked "Biorn", thanks :)
  • schebbe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars: thanks :) I made her bit slimmer, I think she looks more feminine now :)

haikai: yes, I´ll try to mix those formulas into an independant, good looking girl :) But i hope it will be easier to achieve the toughness through a cocky pose with a shotgun in her hands :P

jackablade: I tweaked her a bit last night, making her more feminine also brought down her shoulders a bit. I will take some time thinking about cool accessories :)

I tweaked the cowgirl, made her a bit slimmer and feminine. I also tightened the shirt around her body.

girlwip08.png

Here is how the guy looks without clothes. Sadly without nipples and very symmetrical at the moment.

brutenaken.png
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    These are both looking really great to me, I can't wait for you to get to the tex phase of the cowgirl, your skin render looked great on that head so I think these are going to turn out very nicely. I really love the style she is wearing the shirt, of course noone would wear this without an undershirt, but I appreciate these liberties you are taking here within the 3d world haha.

Also is she always wearing boots because you haven't modeled feet?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I think you should look at some other shirt for here. Doesn't really fit together with the character. If you are using a shirt, i say a bit higher up and much tighter. The physics of the cloth feels a bit strange atm above here boobs.. Maybe a west on top of a short? What kinda role does she have? Just a cowgirl?

And dude, what happened to hes manliness?! :D No cock? :'( As allways, lovly sculpt, i'm jealous of your skills! (:
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    I think you should look at some other shirt for here. Doesn't really fit together with the character. If you are using a shirt, i say a bit higher up and much tighter. The physics of the cloth feels a bit strange atm above here boobs.. Maybe a west on top of a short? What kinda role does she have? Just a cowgirl?

And dude, what happened to hes manliness?! :D No cock? :'( As allways, lovly sculpt, i'm jealous of your skills! (:

Nooooooooo! Don't change the shirt I love it! :poly142:

Hahahah seriously, it's unique and sexy and I think it really stands out from the typical sexy girl in tight clothing
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Something very not right in the groin/hip department with the guy. Looks like you need to grab everything just above where the arcs of the legs joining the body are and move it up
  • schebbe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Duckworth: Thank you :) The head was just a experiment but I´ll try to get the real-time chars look almost as good :P I actually did try to have an undershirt/bra under the shirt, but I think it looks better/sexier without. Yes, she doesnt have any feet so thats why the boots are there :)

sltrOlsson: I moved up the shirt, also made it tighter. Looks better with those changes, thanks :) I have thought of a backstory for either of them but I will take some time this weekend to do it. The dude need some more work on his body and organs :P thanks :)

Jackablade: Yes, it looks a bit strange atm, will fix it :)

Will hopefully have some new stuff this weekend to show.
  • schebbe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, updates on my two characters, didnt get as much work done as I would´ve wanted but it is going forward atleast :P

Changed the face on the girl, got some test hair planes done, tightened u the shirt and worked a bit more on it, started working on the details on her boots, added a handkerchief in her pocket. I also gave her a lasso, dunno if it will stay or go though.

Started on a bag for the guy, based on the barell bag from Fred Perry, worked on his shoes some, also gave him a beanie :)

brute4.png

girlwip11.png
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I vote long hair :)

Still stuff is looking very solid, no crits from me!