Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Temple Guard [WIP]

Hey guys,

I am a third semester student at think tank training centre in Vancouver.

This is my frist peice on my demo reel and I need some honest feedback.

and my real main concern is the abbs and chest area. im trying to make it look reptilian but it dosnt feel right. I know its bloby at the moment but alot of its still being figured out.

Concept by Daarken:
templeguard.jpg

Sculpt:TempleGuardWIP.jpg

Replies

• R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Looks really awesome, how are you going to go about posing it?
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Nice looks great, nice attention to detail. This is going to look ballin' once you get all the hardware on him.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    very cool concept, not a fan of the lip ring but that's just personal preference, after taking a long hard look everything is looking pretty spot on, the only thing I can say is his knees look a little weak, looks like he needs a bit more mass on the kneecap
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Some nice stuff going on here, and great concept. I suppose the weird parts for me are how some parts are really obviously reptilian while others are really obviously human. For example the hands are really human (except for the 4 fingers), and in the concept it feels bigger and claw like. In general I think he could use more dinosaur and less human. From the concept I would also guess this guy has a more natural hunch to his posture. A little more exaggeration in the proportions would be cool too.
  • d.hynes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice model. i think what your seeing that appears off is where you start the transition to the "belly scales". maybe if you started them just below the sternum it would let you to have a more natural shape to the pecs and a more natural transition from upper to mid torso because the line at the bottom of the ribs is expected by the viewer when looking at a muscled/lean character. also as a side note you should credit the artist of any concept art that isn't your own. in this case i believe it is one of Daarken's?
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Great attention to detail! are you adding the spikes to his tail too?
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the hands feel small to me, probably just because he only has the 3 fingers... might make them a little bigger to compensate. great concept choice tho daarken rawks! and the details on the body are looking good so far, probably will need a few more spots with the scales...looks a little blotchy atm.

also i agree with haikai on the pose... he dosnt look at all natural or balanced as he is posed now...to avoid unnessecary texture stretching when you finish and pose him, you may want to go with a more natural base pose to work off of.
  • Cirker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ryswick: Im either going to rig it, or transpose in zbrush.. depends on what my mentor says

@DDuckworth: agreed on the knee and I belive I have fixed it

@haikai: I'm working on making him look a little more reptilian, but from my mentors cretic he wanted me to take it in a slight more humanoid way. but im still going to push it.

@d.hynes: thx for the belly scale cretic! and I've credited the concept artist now.

@Cap Hotkill: Indeed I will

@woogity: Yeah.. im working on beafing up the hands.. I didnt really give them much love before. The scales im still playing with till I feel they hit right. I dont want to cover him in them yet I dont want to little xD

and I'll work on getting his pose a little more.. reptilian

Thanks for the feedback everybody!
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As some have mentioned, the off thing about this otherwise nice piece of work is that it is too human.

For example, the concept is very focused to big shapes, however, you have some very strainey muscles in some areas. The problem with this is that this guy has thick scaly skin being a reptile and all. That vein on his bicep, fx, wouldnt pop like that I wager. In fact, Im not sure you cna even see veins on this guy.

Look at how subtle the muscles are hinted on the concept. Strong shapes.
  • d.hynes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking at again i did notice one more thing. where the back of the leg meets the tail seems (for lack of a better word) too high. included a paint over to demonstrate:
    TempleGuardPaintover.png
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    wow. That's all I got, sry. Awesome! XD
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great! fond memories of me cutting down units of temple guard with my high elf swordmasters :)
  • Cirker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:TempleGuardWIP2.jpg

the only change I didnt do much to was the posture.. for two reasons.. I prefer sculpting on him this way, and I kind of look at it as hes leaning back "did a test pose and it all came out looking like the concept" and theres no spikes on part of his back due to the armor covering it.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Looking awesome! I love the new scales.
  • Cirker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no post..

Sooo, I finally started to light this guy.. and thought i would show what I have.. the textures on the armour are really fadded though.. if anyone can come up with ideas that be cool

Dino.png
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing work, is abso-fucking-lutely amazing

My ONLY complaint...this guy has so much damn character in him, yet his right hand (the one supporting his weight) is almost boring. I feel like his fingers should be bent a little...not really sure how to describe it; tried googling it.

Basically like, the tip of the finger should be flat against the rock slab with the middle join bent and pulled back; like he's gripping it with a lot of strength. If my poor explanation eludes you, I'll draw a picture :P
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chriszuko polycounter lvl 12
    Overall... pretty amazing sculpt and pose. I'd suggest going in and adding some color variation to the skin and adding a final detail pass for all of the textures. As far as the shaders, I notice that everything has a waxy look to it as if it were a toy figure. I'm not sure if that is what you were going for, but i'd mess around with a few other shaders and their settings to try and make it less waxy.

Honestly though.. awesome work!
  • mxb8924
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simply wonderful. I agree with chriszuko, the skin/scales would feel a bit more organic with some more color. Mess around with the specular to make the skin less shiny/waxy. Your sculpt is breathtaking man, im gonna throw this in my inspiration folder :)
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    So close to the concept man holy shit.You are a beast right now.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    My god Cirker, somehow I missed your last update and I'm glad I didn't miss this one, looking fan fucking tastic, to steal a quote from a tasty place - i'm lovin it!