Home General Discussion

Level Design Portfolio?

I was wondering the other day, when i thought about what people in the industry would look for when they would want to hire a level designer.

Right now personally I have just been creating levels within UDK, but would that be enough? Because making levels within UDK to me shows that you at least know the engine, and your own pipeline (depending if you use your own meshes).

But, is that enough for a level designer portfolio? What are your opinions/advice?

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    http://www.lukasvandaele.net/

He's a leveldesign Intern at DICE for the moment, might give you something of an idea.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
    I've always though the same thing, there isn't like a standard in my head of like, what is a good level design portfolio... Myself starting off in Environmental modeling I always feel like a level designer to really stand out has to make his own meshes but I know from all the level design portfolios Ive looked at that isn't the case. Ive actaully considered making a level design section for my portfolio but cant seem to get over the (this isn't my art hump). I'm interested to see anyone's portfolio on polycount that is geared towards level design.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I don't think art is important for level design, player movement and flow around the level is.

Environment Artists ideally should get the level block out from the level designer, and then we make it look good.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    LMP wrote: »
    Environment Artists ideally should get the level block out from the level designer, and then we make it look good.

One thing that I'd want to see from a level design portfolio is scripting. Lots and lots of in-level scripting.

Cinematic scripting,
    clever gameplay scripting (not just get this key to open the door),
    all sorts of nifty puzzles and gameplay devices throughout a level,
  • elyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    One thing that I'd want to see from a level design portfolio is scripting. Lots and lots of in-level scripting.

Cinematic scripting,
    clever gameplay scripting (not just get this key to open the door),
    all sorts of nifty puzzles and gameplay devices throughout a level,

true maybe a little of both?

because level design is defiantly made up of different jobs.
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://matthewbradley.co.uk/

That's mine. It got me a job as a designer so there must be something about it that works.

Its a bit out of date now however.
  • Chimeray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    http://www.lukasvandaele.net/

He's a leveldesign Intern at DICE for the moment, might give you something of an idea.

Take the following with a pinch of salt, I'm good enough as a junior... Not a senior, but anyways... This is what I kept in mind for my portfolio and that's what DICE liked about it.

Versatility/flexibility:
    You can work with different level editors and its tools. You also know what happens around you because you have a basic understanding of modelling/texturing/animation, it helps a lot in a team and certainly as a level designer. And it sets you apart from other people that might be as good as you, but don't have this knowledge. And there's always other people competing for a job!

Determination:
    Make vast levels that are fully functional, sounds, gameplay, scripted events (node-based scripting in my case).

You got what it takes to design levels:
    You understand the games that you make levels for, as a designer this is crucial. Usually a lead game(play) designer will give you his gameplay ideas and you'll need to design levels that use all those mechanics.

So if you start from an existing game and make a level for that, it shows them that you can deliver something with strict gameplay rules. Basically, the shipped game you're modding is your lead game designer. Although be free to think outside the box if it complements the gameplay mechanics, level gamplay is as important as the core mechanics.

An indie game with a clever level with puzzles and the like obviously is great as well! Be versatile in your design, pacing/combat/puzzles...

So yeah, that's why they were interested in me. Then they gave me a test (small mockup level that's gameplay-ready) where I applied what I know and made it versatile (combat, puzzles... etc).

I hope that was helpful!