Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fairfax castle

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
SnakeDoctor keyframe
Hey currently attempting my first environment with this being my main reference. FairfaxCastleThroneroom.jpg

I have the block out done and am beginning working on some of the modular pieces for this project.

Here is are the arches ( Yes I know they dont line up right now :))

171737_1731382596646_1000945002_31942935_1404910_o.jpg?t=1297844434

I figured the keystone on the arches needed some extra detail and came up with this. Its my first character based scuplt, but I am pretty happy with the results. I will probably redo the plaque the lion is mounted on.

COLOR.jpg?t=1297844434

Replies

• DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Good start on the columns, hope you have a plan for getting them lined up since you already know they aren't haha. As for the lion, at a first glance it looks alright but overall doesn't really look like a lion, the eyes are pushed up in an odd way and the overall facial structure seems a little off. Here is a nice reference I found for your viewing pleasures haha

hnf-93108dwdb-L.jpg
    Your ears are also looking towards human, rather than lion.

As for the plaque on the background it doesn't need to be redone, just refined with some of the hpolish brush and up the subdiv level if you can afford it.

Overall off to a good start!
  • yamahaalex37
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol funny how PERFECT that lion is for a reference. Your plaque looks great but after comparing it to the reference it looks more like a beast than a lion. Great idea for a scene though, and I think the pillars look awesome, but I don't understand how they don't line up.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    If you look at the right hand side of the pillars some of them are intersecting. I know its not an issue due to it being high poly, but people from my school keep commenting on it. I tried to tell them that I just put the high polys out there to show what it would look like.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Ok, calling it a night. Already 5am here ugh. Worked on the lion scuplt. Will probably touch up the eye's and hair after some rest. COLOR2.jpg?t=1297850669
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    major improvements on the ears of the lion and overall it just looks better, for the facial structure you are getting there but the cheekbones need to be pushed more in the direction of the nose, they look like they are currently pushed back behind the eye when they should be more between the eye and the nose, i did my best to do a liquify on it to show you what I mean, this is my first time doing a liquify paintover haha so forgive my weakness in this area ;)

pushed.jpg
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha the first lion is major derp, it is getting there though... I guess it would be good to study more reference.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Small update, I think the lion is pretty much done. I might go back and tweak it later, but I don't want to get caught up with just the lion.

COLOR3-2.jpg?t=1297879134
  • DarKMessiah34
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarKMessiah34 polycounter lvl 5
    I really like that arch. Mind sending me a message telling me how you did it? Also the lion is taking shape. Looks really good.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah this final revision (or at least final for now) is looking 10x better. As always it could have a ways more to go but that can be said for almost everything haha. Great job! I'm glad I could help
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Lion is getting better but it's not there yet. Go down a bunch of subdivisions, forget about strands of hair for now, and fix the basic shapes.
    -narrower, longer snout
    -deeper eye sockets
    -upper eyelid sort of flows into the nose, overlaps lower eyelid a lot
    -wider nose, also check the slits on the sides of the nostrils
    -3 shaped upper lip, overlapping the canines, clear split in the middle, going to the nose. the mouthcorners make a )( shape with the nostrils
    -make more solid blocks of hair, overlapping curls and such. Look at attached ref and previously posted bronze head

patricia-fenn-asiatic-lion.jpg
    sample31.319132236_large.JPG