Home Technical Talk

XnView tag images with searchable metadata?

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Does anyone know if XnView can tag images with metadata, like could I tag a bunch of reference images with the tag brickwall and then search for brickwall.

Replies

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never mind figured it out, control d to tag images with key words, control f to search for keywords. Man, XnView is the best.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    a question if I may, how is this better than explorer in windows 7? It'll tag and search by tags directly within the explorer UI.

if you click the explorer search box and click tag it shows you all the tags in a given folder and lets you search them.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r not sure, it's probably the same, I'm not a fan of explorer as an image viewer for a couple reasons.

1. double clicking an image to see it fullscreen launches some slow ass photo image thing.

2. No ability quickly rotate images and lossless save.

3. No ability to hit alt 1 to send the image to photoshop

4. Windows 7 explorer does not cache image thumbnails so if you have hundreds of images in a folder and then open that folder you have to wait for all the images to cache again.

5. XnView filters out other file types, in my case I have a bunch of .htm files in the folder.

6. No ability to remove exif colour profiles.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Ill have to give it another look. The thumbnails being wipes was starting to piss me off. Thanks :)