Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Double Cross preproduction development diary & post mortem

We're currently working on a game called double cross. The game is our 3rd year university project, although we don't want to limit it to being just a uni game and hope to carry on development after we graduate.

I've created this post mortem & development diary of our pre production process. It's a big document but has a shed load of pictures. Please check it out and let me know your opinions etc!

http://www.mediafire.com/?5fdfdbzsf69jhjo

enjoy!
peter_Harries_DEVDIARY_header.png

Replies

• DDuckworth
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Hey this was far too long for me to spend time reading through and didn't have enough current gameplay stuff in it, but I can see why. My crit is that on the wireframe of your barrel it looks like you created a huge n-gon on the lid of the barrel which of course is a definite no-no lol.
  • Peter H
    Hey, no worries it is a rather huge doc! I'm pretty interested in this stuff so I thought I would throw it up for people to have a look at.

lol yeh that barrel is pretty horrible as it is. I think I do say that both the signpost and barrel are still being worked on.

Thanks for having a look :)
  • Razgriz
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Contrary to the previous poster, I actually browsed through most of the content in your production doc, and found it worth the while. The art/assets that were finished are pretty subpar, and it doesn't seem like a heck of a lot has actually been produced since your team started, but you did a great job documenting the entire project so far, and I enjoyed seeing such a thorough chronicle of your teams workflow. If anything, it seems like you guys are approaching a project like this with a good deal of preparation.

I hope to see more progress on it soon.
  • Mike Yevin
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    im gonna have to agree with Razgriz, this is an awesome write-up and it includes a lot of useful information regarding your process through the project. i wish i would have had this kind of organization for my final project, would have made things a hell of a lot easier. definitely keeping this link for reference, thanks man
  • BadgerBaiter
    Had a pretty good read of that document too.
    Am doing Games Development down at Uni of Brighton myself.... way too much programming for my liking lol.
    Just about to start working on our second year project which should be... fun.

Hope the rest of yours goes well and keep us updated :)
  • Tea Monster
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 13
    I'm finding it fascinating. It provides a look inside an indie game project that you don't usually see in that much detail. I got a lot on just how you can export meshes out of UDK into Maya! Thank you for taking the time to put this together and thank you for sharing.
  • Sebeuroc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    I didn't read all the way through it right now, but I have it saved and will go through it later. Thanks for posting! I wish more people put together docs like this, it's really fascinating to see how other teams work.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    "Bandwidth Limit Exceeded"

Much sadness
  • Peter H
    Appologies!

Here's a mediafire link that you can download from: http://www.mediafire.com/?5fdfdbzsf69jhjo

Will also edit the original post.