Home Technical Talk

On Why too much help stunts your growth

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
I often get asked for help and how to's, can I give advice on portfolios, where did I learn, can I point to tutorials, what are my tips and tricks. In essence, it sometimes feels like people think I can be some sort of mentoring figure to them and that this will actually help them progress faster!!

This is a mistake.

Not simply because I'm am a grumpy Scotsman with a short fuse in regard to 'young folk' who are expecting me to give up time with my daughters and my own artistic dreams to help further theirs...

No.

It's because too much help stunts our growth as an artist.

Heres the rub. I can tell you how to do something, I can tell you why to do it a specific way, and you might even understand a little. You will no doubt have questions as to why I do A when I could do B and B seems quicker and I can explain that doing A avoids the problem of C,D,E occuring down the line.
The real problem with this is that you learn another persons workflow without understanding why it works. Its like an unfinished sentence, such as 'I went to the store to get a product BECAUSE I needed it to replace the one I had'.

When you are told what to do in order to avoid mistakes you miss out on learning why, you lose the word BECAUSE from your sentences.

This means you are further away from creating your own workflow, from coming up with your own solutions to problems, because you don't fully understand the problems because you never experienced them, because I or someone else helped you avoid them!!
You need to make mistakes, you need to fall on your face and learn how to pick yourself back up, we have no choice about how we fall, we only get to choose how to get back up, whether we will or not, whether we will need someone else to do it for us.

It's like parenting, mothers want to catch their kid before they fall, fathers want them to fall so them learn to be careful. I'm generalizing about the fundamental nature of the masculine and feminine philosophy of parenting, the notion that mothers teach their kids how the world should be and fathers teach their children how the world is. Of course the roles change in each relationship...
The point is, you need to get your hands dirty, you need to understand why things break and the ways in which they do so in order to come up with your own solutions to these problems. It's all about dirty hands, thats what experience is, experience is what makes you a better artist, leveraged greater pay and so on and you don't get it by borrowing another persons experience because it will hold you back more than push you forward.

When I first started hipoly modeling here, I knew nothing, I read no tutorials, I had to just get in there and screw up, which I did, often, in spectacular fashion for a good while. Now before I started, I was lucky enough to have the heavyweight hipoly guys here in the office show me some stuff first, Kevin and Danny took an hour each to show us noobs a few tricks.
They explained they did A to avoid B, edge constrains, turbosmooth over nurms, ffd modification of a plane followed by shelling and edge constraints... stuff like that and it was impressive and useless to us because none of us noobs knew why that way worked well because we didn't know the ways in which the alternatives worked badly!

So when I had time to screw up on my own, I got to learn much more quickly and the same is true for everyone. It's good to have feedback, feedback is great, the more points of view you can get, while still of course staying true to your own vision, all the better... and thats what we have polycount, zbrush, cg talk and so on ... dozens of editing communities, take your pick, its all there for us.
Sometimes, the best help we can truly get and share is inspiration, simply showing , sharing and seeing what is possible. Honestly, what helped me most, besides screwing up a lot I mean, was simply seeing what was possible, getting a look at the wireframes... of course that made me shite myself, but it gave me a yardstick, the rest was up to me.

Its your sweat that will take you there, if you rely on anothers then you are helped short term and screwed long term. Again the parenting analogy demonstrates that if you let your kids learn to pick themselves up after a fall then they learn self reliance, if you catch them, they learn to need caught!

It's ok to fall down.

Replies

• Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    I agree Kevin, the myriad of help on Polycount and other resources were of great assistance to me during my learning but I still had that large hole, emptiness of knowledge and experience. The type that one can only gain from actually making mistakes and learning from it. One of the biggest challenges of becoming an artist in the field was exactly that. It was the difference between one who was spoon fed and one who really sought challenges and imposed it upon his/herself.

There is a great line between help and actual learning. Words and guidance can only express so much, it is ultimately failure and persevering that really sets folks out. That's where I find so much inspiration, folks who are better than me or contain a unique style that I want to pick up on.

It goes without saying though that this industry has some of the most caring and finest individuals that really do go above and beyond to help others.

At the same time its folks like you that really spark inspiration and you can't blame others for wanting to learn from you :) It's really awesome that you really broke things down with your work and explained it to the community.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    with the time you spent explaining that you could have told us how to do some more stuff:)
    joking aside i agree, I just spent 2 weeks struggling to understand why my bakes were looking crap and as much as tutorials can help I tried 5 different methods to build a particular kind of model and arrived at the best way to do the model and bake it myself.
  • Numerator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On the other hand:

"If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Isaac Newton

There is a difference between showing and enlightening.
  • Ampaist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    enlightening them will only show them the door they still have to go through it, nothing is truly learnt without experiencing it.

this seems to be something that's been on your mind for quite sometime Kevin hope i didnt unleash it haha
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To me you can break this down into two specific examples:

A. Teaching a method

What I dont think is particularly useful is when people ask for very specific thingss like "I need a tutorial to model rocks" or "I need a tutorial to paint wood" or "how do i bake a normal map for <insert oddly specific item>". These sort of things I feel have very little value, as the user is just learning a few very specific things related to a very narrow goal.

B. Teaching a mentality

Whenever I give advice or write up mini tutorials and such, I like to try and always do so in general terms, that will apply to a vast array of situations. Whenver someone asks me "how do I bake XXX shape" I always try to first teach the basics of how baking works, normal direction, etc etc. And when someone asks "how do I paint XXX material" I always try to explain that the important part is studying reference and material properties, not following a tutorial or workflow catered to the specific material.

So for the first type, I really agree. However, when we come to teach concepts that can become a foundry for a workflow, not just "tips n tricks" I think its entirely different, and of very much use.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ampaist : Nah, just a bit of frustration the last few months with a lot of people mailing me at home, work, pms here and facebook so I'm trying to build up an aura of assholeness more again heh

Frustration because I've been exhaustive in how much I've 'enlightened' and shared in each thread where I've shown my work or commented on others work. I have always had issues with people viewing that as an invitation to directly come to me and say ' give me more'.

If you want to stand on a giants shoulders, well go find one, that shits uncomfortable for us regular folk... oh and newton was quoting someone else :)
  • Ampaist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol better delete the comment or people will realize your trying to be an asshole and keep pestering u haha
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Over at Animation Mentor one Shawn Kelly wrote a quick e-book and one of the first things he goes over is pretty much what you're talking about here Ror... Observe.

The first few chapters speaks to character and environment artists just as well as it does animators. It underscores one of their key principles that drives the school, and is a core factor in artists success. Its not about what buttons to push, or what tutorials to follow or what scripts to download its about learning to observe, recreate and expand on what is all around us. Observing a tutorial and doing a bit of monkey see monkey do is not the same as actual observation. It often puts off developing that skill, and its one of the reasons you see people complain after putting in 3-4 years, "I know how to work the apps but what I make is crap!? WHY!?" Observation.

It's a skill that can be hinted at and nurtured but if it doesn't grow naturally the artist will stall out and never hit the point that they can stand on their own, they'll always be relaying on other people and tutorials for MORE!!!

Fuck the tutorials, fuck the tips and tricks, learn to observe and have empathy for the objects and people around you and you'll unlock an entire skill set that you never knew you had.

In another book I read it was put this way:
    What do you see?
    A fire hydrant?
    Wrong, what do you see?
    A dog peeing on a fire hydrant?
    That's getting closer... what do you see?
    I don't know!!! Why don't you tell me!?
    I can't, because you won't see it even if I do tell you, now draw it and maybe you'll see what you aren't seeing.

Granted the guy was making a case for why artists shouldn't help each other, "only the strong survive" which I think is an extreme view and flawed but it was a good point. Observation is best learned when heavily practiced. Relaying on others for their skill is just delaying the development of that critical skill.

It's one of the reason I stick to mostly to critiquing newbie work, (that and I'm only slightly more qualified to offer them help ha!) With a few helpful insights they will either start to see it or they won't. If they can see it and they can start to find things on their own then its going to have a profound impact on their work and suddenly, they'll be asking for a lot less help and making huge improvements.

A good community will be a few pros hanging around the bar in a bowling alley, offering a few tips when they think they'll help the person.

A good community isn't the bumper lane where the gutter is lined full of tutorials aimed at being a crutch for the person who can't keep the ball out of the gutter. A good community will often tell the artists whoever they are, its good but you can do better, push it.

I love a community that has balls and will stand up and say "you know what, I probably can't do better than this right now, but I know you can". Just rolling over and licking someones balls is all fine and good, everyone likes that, but ultimately it isn't useful to anyone especially the artist who seems to be at the top of their career. Guess what everyone is at the top of their career, that is why we always keep pushing forward. Even those that look like they've "arrived" still have places they need to go. If you can nudge them toward that goal, then the community services everyone's needs. But also be wise with what you say... talking down to someone who can wipe the floor with you isn't a good idea... trust me on that... be real with your skill and don't talk nonsense.

With all that said I do like helping people out and seeing that ah-ha moment kick on and they take off running.

Long post short: "Observation mother f*cker, do you see it!?"
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    i agree , like when you start working on a project .. and you start working .. and working but you get a problem and you try to fix it .. that is the point , but when like you get some advice from people .. you start a project and some one say to you " try to use spec map " so you search a tutorial and information for spec map to make it ... or just getting some tips and tricks and start learning by self whitout any tutorial ?
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Observation mother f*cker, do you see it!?"

True story!
    Everywhere I read posts of Vig, I keep thinking.. I need a sign that says, "I'm with Vig ^"

Great write ups though, learning things the hard way is awesome.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What we obtain too easily we esteem too lightly
    A mans reach should exceed his grasp or whats a heaven for

Mark: Interesting story, Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes was inspired by his professor at medical university who used to mess with new students by showing them a beaker full of nasty stuff, he would dip his finger in, put a finger in his mouth to taste and tell them to do the same as he had done.

They would, they would nearly retch and yet he was fine.

Then he would explain that if they had paid attention they would have noticed the finger he dipped was a different finger than the one he sucked on.
    He used to say ' you see , but you do not observe'...

Also, theres a meditative doctrine I read about once called the White fury where they have to practise the art of a total description, a full observation in order to understand the paradox of the statement ' I am ' and then dwell on that truth.
    The point being, a chair is not a chair, it is a wooden construction by a carpenter designed for sitting our arses on that was previously an acorn that grew into a large enough tree to be cut and carved. Everyone makes the mistake of calling it a chair, so if we can't even understand what a chair is, how can we understand what we are?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    So, we should learn everything by ourselves, and not communicate workflows and tricks ? Reinvent the wheel constantly ? Why the fuck PC exists then ? Also doc shouldn't be included with softwares, it's so fun to click randomly on a button to see what it does.
    If that was the case, i don't think people could even use normal maps and all the fancy stuff.

I agree that people shouldn't come to you by mail. At my poor level, i already had tons of questions because i had an item included in TF2. And well, I DON'T HAVE TIME.
    But, just put the limits, politely.

Now i also find a bit sad that everyone seems to do the same thing because of very close worflows and idea on how things should look like. But sharing workflows makes everyone progress faster, oh yeah.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    So, we should learn everything by ourselves - no but you should exhaust google and do your own experimentation first, because there is more than one way to do a task. ie the solution for one task might have to be adapted to achieve the same effect in another situation.
    if you haven' t got the time make the time, because thas how average artists become top notch.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ror that's awesome... I see myself doing the same thing with my daughter when she's a little older... I can't thank her enough for opening my eyes to the world around me the least I can do is give that back to her, and well... if it gets a laugh while driving the point home, all the better!

I remember one art teacher who liked to do total descriptions way back in high school, I thought she was off her rocker but after it was all said and done I learned so much from her freaky and cryptic ways. I still think back on some of the stuff we did in her classes and think "What The Hell Miss A!?" I'm sure I'll do something that will make that stuff click but I'm not there yet or she was just crazy insane those days.

It's awesome how much things that seem totally unrelated to art end up relating. Take the scientific method and apply it to art and problems artists face and suddenly its not some stuffy BS someone made you write a paper on in grade school, but its a frame work to deal with those "oh shit" mountains that pop up.

When you get an answer to a specific problem you get a tiny window into a much bigger conversation. If you take the whole thing in, your better off than just learning which switch to flip. Which is why you'll see people point to long threads with a lot of back and forth, rather than just blurt out an answer.

Noors wrote: »
    So, we should learn everything by ourselves, and not communicate workflows and tricks ? Reinvent the wheel constantly ? Why the fuck PC exists then ? Also doc shouldn't be included with softwares, it's so fun to click randomly on a button to see what it does.
    If that was the case, i don't think people could even use normal maps and all the fancy stuff.

I agree that people shouldn't come to you by mail. At my poor level, i already had tons of questions because i had an item included in TF2. And well, I DON'T HAVE TIME.
    But, just put the limits, politely.

Now i also find a bit sad that everyone seems to do the same thing because of very close worflows and idea on how things should look like. But sharing workflows makes everyone progress faster, oh yeah.
    So many people seem to stall out and just stare at the mountain with seeminly no tools available to scale it. They probably have those tools they just don't realize it. It's being able to identify those tools and deploy them that helps the person take that first step.

Honestly sometimes I think people are more scared of trying and failing than they are pinched for time...

Sometimes people don't have an art problem or a technical hurtle, but lack of problem solving skills. Others who have come at those problems and attacked them can suggest ways to try but honestly finding out WHY certain things don't work is more valuable than finding out which rocks are sinkers and which are floaters.

It's kind of a "give a man a fish..." thing. People post helpful stuff in hopes that others learn to fish.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, there's so many threads that start out "how do I model a tree", now if they post a tree and say "this is my third attempt and I just keep hitting a wall" I'd be happy to help but to the people that haven't even attempted here's my advice:

1. open 3d app
    2. model an effing tree
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I disagree.

The more VIDEO tutorials WITH audio, the more people show you how to do things, the more you will get done and know how to do.

No one ever taught themselves the ABC, how to count to ten, or the capitals of the 50 states - someone had to show them.

People who learn things on their own make many mistakes and work inefficiently.

The more people teach, the better.

A forum is a place to ask things - if a person is too high to answer, I don't want their answer, but they don't really belong here anyway.

ESPECIALLY in this line of creativity there is rarely ever a way to try on your own and you need someone else to tell you what is going on in a given workflow or whatever.

I fully disagree and this attitude is exactly why things are so closed and weird, in both the professional setting, and the open source setting. Help each other, or you suck. Go above and beyond to answer even the dumbest or easiest questions, or you're a pathetic prick who really just doesn't want to help and as such doesn't belong on a forum anyway.

I don't care if a person wants to know how to drag out a CUBE. I will still tell them. Because I am a helpful person and I recognize questions as desires to learn.

In the simplest way I can put it; If you can't teach someone something quickly and easily and have them fully understand, then either of two things are true:

1: they are retarded.

or

2: You do not understand your own advice.

The only possible way someone still doesn't see what you show them is if you yourself fail to explain it, or if they themselves fail at comprehending it.

And forums are for help - no matter how small = you're in the wrong place to be so elitist.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    ESPECIALLY in this line of creativity there is rarely ever a way to try on your own and you need someone else to tell you what is going on in a given workflow or whatever.

That's the biggest oxymoron I have ever heard. The exact problem with a lot of people trying to learn is that they are trying to ride rails to achieve results. NO, you don't follow someone else's workflow because you don't learn nothing from it.

If you UNDERSTAND someones workflow then you have an idea and spark some creativity, in turn you experiment and begin to develop a PERSONAL workflow. Something that works for you.

Your response is not very tact. Kevin has every right to feel the way he does because he has been doing exactly that, helping others. Why help others when they don't want to bother to help themselves?
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Just make art for arts sake and party...woohooo
    Then figure out why you did what you did.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I learned everything I know about this stuff from people directly showing me in person, showing me in video demos, or telling me in normal conversation about the usefulness of things one could do in a given situation, whatever the topic of discussion may be.

You help others so THEY can help others like them and Kevin doesn't have to keep saying the same things for example. You help others so everyone knows, so it's not just a few people.

The act of posting in a forum and asking for help is an act of helping the self. It is only one aspect of growth, not a stunting of it.

At the end of the day, ESPECIALLY in this medium, teachers are required, and in a world where no one can even afford to go to school, a medium like this with such complication, asking how to do something is the only way.

Take yourself back to before you knew how to bake a normal map. Now try to pretend you would figure it out completely on your own... "ha" to that notion. :P

This isn't painting on canvas, it isn't something that you do any way you want to. The fact that there is really only a few right ways to do something means:

either:

1: you guess for 10 years and never get it right and are always a crap artist who no one ever notices

or

2: you ask for help in a place designed for it, a forum like this for example, you get help, enough to head you on further learning for yourself, and you are a better artist overnight.

Oxymoron? Think again. This isn't painting on canvas. There are right ways, and there are ways that work that are actually wrong ways.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I disagree.

The more VIDEO tutorials WITH audio, the more people show you how to do things, the more you will get done and know how to to do.

No one ever taught themselves the ABC, how to count to ten, or the capitals of the 50 states - someone had to show them.
    No one can show you how to be creative like they can show you the capitals. No one can pour experience in your noggin, you get it by doing it. I don't think anyone is trying to discourage anyone from teaching or asking for help, but instead are encouraging a healthy self reliance that will see a person through many more projects than just "how do I do X".

I have a huge library of bookmarks that show me how to do X, and I haven't read a lot of them, I will probably get around to it some day but that will be mostly to mine them for tips and tricks. Honestly, I dislike most video tutorials, most of the time they aren't well planned out, or they just waste your time rambling. Stuff that has a high production value to it like the stuff from Eat3D or Gnoman is helpful but ultimately is hard to search back through when you need to remember that one switch or setting. They're great for general theory but horrible for step by step.

This thread is also a bit of an explanation as to why some threads go unanswered or with very little response like Justin pointed out.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You learn more by doing, I actually learned more about painting textures back in ye old days. When I joined polycount I fell into the same routine alot of newer members here are stuck in, spending all the time that could of been spent making art reading tutorials.

Mortolhuman: you recently asked how to make a view weapon. I've never done it before but I'd probably go ahead and make two arms holding a gun. I'm sure if you made an attempt and posted it people would give you advice.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see unanswered threads as people not being able to answer them. If a thread goes unanswered, no one knows the answers.

If someone knows the answer, has some spare time (on a forum, after all), and doesn't, then they are ignorant.

@Justin: Yea, I don't like doing things wrong. If I don't know the right way to do something, I shouldn't do it, because it won't be correct anyway.

Hell, I could probably take this time to answer any questions you have about why people like me will not lift a finger until we see "how it's made" or "how to do it" first.

fire away, I'll try my best :P
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    @mortalhuman- I think you misunderstood. I dont think anyone is saying that you shouldn't help those in need of knowledge. However, there is certainly an abundance of folks searching for the "make art easy" button. With the wealth of information available for- free- through multiple avenues it almost comes off as wilful ignorance or lazyness. That can seem offputting to communities of folks who are self taught or have put forth the effort to put the info out there. We've been given a buffet of information and yet some people ask to be fed.

In the words of Dr.Cox"help me- help you- help me- help you"
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I understand that, yea that makes sense. But why doesn't everyone look at it as a chance to show they know it? It might be my own disposition/char flaw, but when I see something I can answer, on any subject, any forum, I answer it, to show that I know it. The act of being helpful is a bonus for me, where the intent on teaching is to show I know.

"If I don't answer, people will think I do not know" - maybe it's something I shouldn't do, or maybe others are just tired of doing it and I haven't gotten there yet :P
    When I first started hipoly modeling here, I knew nothing, I read no tutorials, I had to just get in there and screw up, which I did, often, in spectacular fashion for a good while.

And now you can make sure others don't make the same mistake... Because most people are probably like me: I'm not doing anything until I know how to do it - I'm not making mistakes and wasting my valuable working time. No, instead, I'm coming to a place like polycount full of people who know how to do things, and asking them.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Nobody is saying that you should learn everything on your own without any help, but I think the point of this thread is that you need to learn to help yourself before you can actually take any of the help you are given, and that is a statement I completely agree with.

The "stunting growth" remark I believe is referring to spoon-feeding people information, something I have found people seem to expect from a tutorial or a teacher of any kind. When you spoon feed people information, they do not learn to think for themselves, and thus don't find their own way. As an educator, or just someone helping someone else, it's a fine line between being vague and spoon-feeding.

So, mortalhuman, teachers are indeed very important and yes you do need people to pass on information, but it does nothing unless you yourself learn to take that information and use it in your own way.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand that, and reading over yea, it isn't about not helping but indeed helping ourselves along the way;

However,

I consider the act of posting for help to be helping yourself :P

maybe people do not wait to ask as long as me, for example I didn't ask about that UDK FPS player model thing until I was exhausted on google finding nothing directly on the subject of player models in FPS.

I googled to help myself, got no help, asked here - before I ever begin to pull polygons, because you must plan your moves, and if you don't know what you're doing, you can't make a plan, so you must ask, if you can't find it already out there on your own.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You folks should check Mortal's previous thread posts before you spend too much time trying to explain stuff. He's the definition of what I am saying is lazy... of course he is offended, theres nothing anyone can say that will un-offend him on this one :)

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80724
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80718
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76238
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea okay kevin, I'm "lazy" because I don't like doing things wrong or making things that won't even work? You are the definition of elitist.

I spend quite a while on my own before I ever post a thread, I do not pull polygons or do anything like that without a plan, if you don't know the plan, you cannot act. Otherwise you act in ignorance, which is a waste of time.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But doing things wrong is an important part of learning... time doesn't matter until you have learned to do it right.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not when others who have already done them wrong and learned the right way can clarify and save you headaches - that is called COMMUNUNITY and is the basis of a forum.

The whole point of these kinds of forums is to not make the same mistakes others made.

Doing things wrong is not an important part of learning, it is an important part of DISCOVERY. :P

BEFORE forums all this thought perhaps would have flown... but in the age of the internet and forums and the ability to save your fellow man from the same mistakes you made, this just looks like "I am better than you, I'm not helping you, it's hard enough to keep a job as it is!!"

greets racer, put your tuts back up because for a long time they helped me answer a lot of people's questions just by linking them :P

If one learns, all can benefit. It wasn't always like that. But if one knows, and you can't figure it out on your own with your own existing skill set, then you gotta ask - why make mistakes when you know for a fact you are not inventing/discovering anything, you are just doing something that the ONLY way to do it is to know how to do it?

In other words; how can anyone just sit there and watch other people bang their heads on the same walls they did without helping them? It's pathetic, or at best, elitist. Especially when forums are designed to ask and get answers.
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    I completely agree with kevin on this subject. I have been teaching myself for about 3 years now, with trial and error.. over and over again. Not once have i contacted anyone personally to ask a silly question. I feel the game industry is begining to get lazy with so many younger people like myself wanting a shot at it. Think of the veterans that were working on games 10-20 years ago. they HAD to learn and create on their own, and they are still at it.

My greatest expeirence with this was years ago while modding for crysis. I spent days trying to figure out how to produce parallax occlusion maps for the game while nobody else had. Crytek had no info on the subject. I must have saved 100 variety formats of the same texture. After all of that I got it. I ended up doing a step by step tutorial for it for the community...

Kevin is known for his art and work flows, because i'm sure he put ruthless hours trying to figure it all out.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    "Practice what you know, and it will help to make clear what now you do not know.
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]" [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rembrandt' [/FONT]
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mortal: heh, you are why I have job security!
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cute :P lol

And btw, I'm not offended, I feel like a better person actually, because I won't let people bump their heads on the same walls I did, and I don't have any reservation about asking others for help before I waste my own time.

Why would I, for example, make an FPS controller than won't even work in UDK? Why would make stuff that isn't even going to work?! This stuff takes time - time is precious - just like knowledge - without asking questions, you will not find answers. Even if the question is asked of a search bar in a user manual, the question was still asked.

I ask questions when manuals and search engines fail me.

Telling me to figure out an FPS controller on my own (as example) is like telling a person who just installed blender for the first time to model suzanne from scratch...
  • Justin Meisse
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    mortal, if everyone followed one tutorial that was supposed to be perfect for a subject. but really there were 1000 more efficient and better looking ways to do the same thing. do you really call the progression? without people that push the boundaries, unlike yourself, everything would look the same and be done the same way
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriously though, go make some content, have fun, don't get worked up about the efficiency of making mistakes you might otherwise avoid if you ask someone else. Thats actually part of the fun, losing yourself in that is what is great about art, the frustration, the realization, the redemption, the sense of honest accomplishment at the end.

Give it a go, I didn't actually see any content in amongst your previous posts.

It might also be worth checking out my back history, I've been writing tutorials and sharing how I did what I did since 96. What have you contributed here that makes you more pious and less elitist than I? :)
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's why forums are discussions. The first 5 answers may be undone by a 6th better one.

@kevin: I'm not doubting your feats, I'm only doubting the attitude that everyone should go over the same humps as you did. You have the ability to save people from those humps, and it might be boring or feel like crap sometimes, but when you have the time, if the time permits it in your own schedule, it should be rewarding in itself to show people how to do things.

As I alluded earlier though, you might just be tired of it :P 96 was a long time ago, maybe you already answered most questions you see repeated all the time :P

For example, I saw like three threads here "how to model rocks?!?!" in the past few days. I understand the way you must feel about that, really. But the person probably didn't post their thread until they exhausted themselves :P Maybe they were lazy, for all I know, but in my case, I won't ask of others until my own processes fail me, so I tend to look at it that way from others.

Thank you for the encouragement, I do experiment a lot, I try on my own a lot, and all I ever really end up with is useless stuff.

Maybe if I went to school or something, but there isn't one near me and no one but the rich kids have $$ for that :P

MAIN POINT: I do not see how it is possible to teach yourself something in a craft which is this new and this complicated without working with others, asking questions, and discussing how to do things, before you go build bad habits by yourself.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's why forums are discussions. The first 5 answers may be undone by a 6th better one.
    But that only happens because people who have tried and failed repeatedly kept trying and succeeded.

If no one blazed trails how would you get anywhere if you only traveled on well worn roads?

If everyone thought like you did, there would be only one answer anyone could ever come up with. It wouldn't be the best answer it would be the only answer knew.

PC has always been a place where people experiment and try things. It isn't a university where you go to learn how to do something one way. Game art in general is very situational and you might approach creating an object 7 different ways depending on the situation. The people who get laid off are the people who can't really adapt all that well and have trouble creatively solving problems.

If you can only follow 123 steps to make X object then that's easily replaceable. If you can come up with a way to make X object that no one has ever seen or heard of, then you might stick around.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea but you're saying to blaze new trails when someone already blazed a trail a few inches to the left. It is better and wiser to ask for directions to that trail than to go hacking at the grass yourself. This stuff all moves too fast and changes too often.

In fact, the people who blazed those trails also basically designed the tools, or were designed to meet their needs, and now it's a mystery to new people that gets bigger and bigger and harder to understand without some direction.

At the end of the day, if I can help someone, I will. And I won't tell them they are stunted for it, I will tell them they did the right thing by asking, because the act of asking a question is the first ingredient to learning.

Save this noob and other noobs like me, you will be a better person for it :P heh

Also, I do not want to innovate or create new things for basic things that should all be pretty much the same anyway.

back to the FPS player model as first example:

Why should I experiment when what I WANT to accomplish is already done? COD player model is correct, the rest, IN MY EYES for MY GOALS, are done wrong. So, why would I guess at something other people already know? When just by being human they can help and not let me waste time, as I do for others when I know things they do not?

COd player model is correct, and all other FPS controllers have something different somewhere that makes them suck (BFBC2 controller is crap, for example). Why would I go make mistakes when what I want to do is very specific and would require knowledge of how it was done in the first place, so I can make a proper FPS controller, since that's the only proper one.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, the first step, model an arm and a gun.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well yea, model some arms and a gun, rig them - but then what? I like to understand the whole of something before I put myself behind it - I am a scorpio, it's what I do, i need to know something intimately before I can even get behind it.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    MAIN POINT: I do not see how it is possible to teach yourself something in a craft which is this new and this complicated without working with others, asking questions, and discussing how to do things, before you go build bad habits by yourself.

UHH WHAT?

I have run into people like you in this industry that actually had jobs. Always looking for the right answer, quick work around, fastest way to get from point a to point b.

My answer. JUST FUCKING DO IT. TRY.

Why do people need a clear cut this is the way to do it. Honestly in our industry there are so many ways to do things. Everyone works differently. If your workflow is insane but creates great results in a timely manner at the end then great. If it is slow then figure out why it is slow.

Don't expect to be spoon fed.

Do you think athletes are spoon fed on how to be good. you think just because someone showed Tiger Woods how to swing a golf club is what made him good. No it's fucking practice. Just do it. Fail. Take notes. Try again. Fail. Make Adjustment. Try again. Check results.

Don't get me wrong. I ask a shit ton of advice. More than I should. I do try and fail a lot though. All the time actually. So try to stop calling out guys like Kevin that have seriously done more for this community then you can ever hope to.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well yea, model some arms and a gun, rig them - but then what? I like to understand the whole of something before I put myself behind it - I am a scorpio, it's what I do, i need to know something intimately before I can even get behind it.

and that's the problem, the only way to know something intimately is to do it, you are paralyzed by doubt in your own abilities. The only way to learn and grow is to challenge yourself.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.

teach a man how to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

There is a fine line between teaching and showing how to do something. A good teacher gives you just enough for you to have the "AHA!" moment and figure it out on your own.

A bad teacher shows you every little pain staking detail so you never truly develop into an artist, just a copy of him.

The more VIDEO tutorials WITH audio, the more people show you how to do things, the more you will get done and know how to do.

No, the more video tutorials, the more you mimic what someone else has done, not actually learning how to do it yourself.

This is the same as muscle memory, it is simple repetition, not making art, or development of a skill
    I don't care if a person wants to know how to drag out a CUBE. I will still tell them. Because I am a helpful person and I recognize questions as desires to learn.

In the simplest way I can put it; If you can't teach someone something quickly and easily and have them fully understand, then either of two things are true:

1: they are retarded.

or

2: You do not understand your own advice.

The only possible way someone still doesn't see what you show them is if you yourself fail to explain it, or if they themselves fail at comprehending it.

And forums are for help - no matter how small = you're in the wrong place to be so elitist.

there is a lot wrong with this statement, for starters making a blanket statement on teaching is never a good thing, every one learns at different paces and through different methods so by saying that people are dumb or you dont understand what you are doing implies a bit of ignorance and is a bit degrading.

EDIT*

Wow I guess I had that thread open wayyyy too long before deciding to reply.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I misunderstood this from the start.

Cause I don't want people to tell me how to make the assets, I want to know what the asset itself expects/will expect.

Does that make more sense? To want to know what the asset needs, and then to do it myself once I know what it needs?

If you don't know what the asset needs, how can you even go poking around by yourself?!? you cant. You cant make a car for GTA SA without knowing what the rig needs to be like. You can't make an FPS model without knowing what it needs.

I don't think anyone will end up "doing it one way" and I don't really look for art guidance, I am having trouble with technical stuff that I likely will not have anything to do with - but that my art will have to be prepared properly to work together with. I keep using the FPS example because someone brought it up earlier, and it's a good example.

If I wasn't planning on it working in UDK, I would do it all myself and say "I don't care what you expect, this is my model, here is how it is rigged. Make it work correctly in your code". If I want this to be in UDK projects, then I need more information... I'm not lazy for that, I'm very smart for asking and not banging my head on a wall...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    have you googled it at all? seems like there's a ton of tutorials on how to implement custom weapons in udk.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't want just custom weapons. I want a whole new model and to get rid of that god awful robot crap it ships with, with crappy controls, and crappy sounds, and crappy all around implementation which for example COD player controller craps upon. I want my asset prepared for aim down sights, prepared for different stances, a proper running and not the crap found in crysis or other ea crap. :x

To me there is only one right way to do something. in 2011, the only good third person engine is Rockstar's.

in 2011, the only good military/gun FPS is IW's Cod games.

etc.

I have google my butt off :P I cannot find any white papers or documents or anything that shows exactly WHAT that is on the screen so that I can go ahead and yes, make it myself. You can make something that looks like it easily- but if you want to make it the RIGHT way, you need to know WHAT you are looking at, not just what it looks like :P
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So really, I don't even seek art guidance, just want to know WHAT something is so that when I do make the art, it is made to be what it was intended to be and not something that needs to be re-done because it's wrong (my udk fps thread as example again)

I am QUITE SURE I came to the right place FULL of people who have worked on all kinds of stuff like this - in my case, and in yours if you try to find it, there is nothing for what I need, so I have to ask the pros. :P

Maybe some of you want to be kind-dick when it comes to modeling, want to innovate, want to change things, want to invent things, AWESOME and I support you,

but me? I want to take what already exists, understand WHAT is is, not just what it looks like on my screen, and use it myself. I do not seek to reinvent wheels or innovate the industry, or be looked at as some genius. I want to use the genius things I enjoy for my own projects. So technically, this thread never applied to me anyway, and as such, I probably simply don't understand where your coming from, when my needs are not to be a held hand, and require asking questions on a forum to move forward....
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So useless... nevermind.