Home General Discussion

Issues with carpal tunnel

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Progg polycounter lvl 11
So, over the last few years I've spent a great deal of time working on the computer (8+ hours a day minus the weekends) as well as other finger and hand related activities such as gaming and playing guitar. Recently I have seriously aggravated my right hand (mouse clicking hand) and it is making it very difficult to do world building and 3D modeling. The usual rest, heating pad, and anti-inflammatory medication helps to relieve pressure. I've gotten a few suggestions from co-workers and I currently switched to a more ergonomic keyboard. I've been using the MX518 mouse and have noticed that most of my problems seem to stem from worldbuilding inside a game engine which involves holding down the mouse2 button in order to move the camera and get good angles. I'm working on getting a better chair that sits higher up so I can get better posture with both forearms on the desk.

Anywho, since we are all artists that spend a ton of time on the computer, I'm wondering if any of you guys have had the same problems with hand cramps and early signs of carpal tunnel. I'd like to nip this in the bud before it really becomes a problem. I'm wondering what kind of nifty things some of you use to ease the tension and pressure in your hands (primarily the mouse hand and the clicking involved). I've been looking at some foot pedals for clicking but I wasn't sure if they are worth it. Also I was curious if anyone uses a trackball and whether they feel like they lose accuracy in modeling when doing so. Thanks a ton!

Replies

• ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    You know, I've started getting really bad pains in my mouse hand, also. Mostly my pinky. One thing I've done that's helped a lot was get a stool and place it right next to me by my chair and place the mouse and mouse pad on that. It looks goofy as hell but I don't have to strain my arm or hand to reach the desk. I doubt it will work for you cause every situation is different, but alas! You never know!
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    I take frequent breaks, go outside and get some fresh air after an hour or two. I also keep my hand posture very good, I find that if you rest your palm down on your table while keeping your elbow supported by something (stool, the arms of a char) and use the mouse, it causes less problems.

I also use a gel pad type thing just under my keyboard to keep my hand in a rested position at all times.

Try to keep masturbation at a minimum.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I started having issues with carpal tunnel a few years ago, not to the point of needing surgery, but enough to keep me up all night. Bad nerve sensations, constant pain, numbness, dropping things, etc. Two things I've found help more than anything else: A wrist brace (especially great when sleeping, people tend to sleep with bent wrists and this causes it to flare up at night, which isn't helping your progression), and simple posture/furniture changes. My old desk was designed in such a way that the keyboard was down lower than the mouse, so my left hand was at the keyboard lower, wrist straight - but my right hand had to go up to a higher portion of the desk which resulted in a bent wrist getting my hand to the mouse. Several years of that just killed me.

Bought a new desk when I was able, things are much more even and with this chair height it's a lot easier to keep my wrists straight. Never liked ergonomic keyboards or mice. It still bugs me every so often, and I do still pull out the wrist brace from time to time, but as a whole things are significantly better than in earlier years.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Two Listen wrote: »
    I started having issues with carpal tunnel a few years ago, not to the point of needing surgery, but enough to keep me up all night. Bad nerve sensations, constant pain, numbness, dropping things, etc. Two things I've found help more than anything else: A wrist brace (especially great when sleeping, people tend to sleep with bent wrists and this causes it to flare up at night, which isn't helping your progression), and simple posture/furniture changes. My old desk was designed in such a way that the keyboard was down lower than the mouse, so my left hand was at the keyboard lower, wrist straight - but my right hand had to go up to a higher portion of the desk which resulted in a bent wrist getting my hand to the mouse. Several years of that just killed me.

Bought a new desk when I was able, things are much more even and with this chair height it's a lot easier to keep my wrists straight. Never liked ergonomic keyboards or mice. It still bugs me every so often, and I do still pull out the wrist brace from time to time, but as a whole things are significantly better than in earlier years.

I forgot to mention that. I got a carpal tunnel brace a few days ago and use it when I sleep and it helps a TON! Only problem is it gets bad again as soon as I start working :(
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man you might have to get surgery... take care of yourself dude...

Do you mind posting your office setup? Maybe we can give you some pointers
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouch bro..
    I do get some wrist pains but it's not that bad..
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    My boss had a huge case of carpal tunnel when he was younger, he said he had to pretty much stop doing any programming for about 6 months. He said it was because he used to type in such weird and awkward positions. I think the most important thing is having a chair with an arm rest so your elbow is at the same height as your desk, arm wrests will also sort of keep you from slouching too much.

EricWK's idea would also probably be pretty good. I'm no doctor but i do think it's good to be aware of these things, i find some people sacrifice there body in the pursuit of the ultimate game development career(overweight much anyone?) It's all about balance.

Also your probably need one of these!!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ch4zp_JYk&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ch4zp_JYk&feature=related[/ame]
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    This isn't always a solution, depending on the apps (I've had game editors where it was impossible), but switching to stylus only can help I hear in some cases, really changes the way you use your hand.
    Good luck anyways, to you and the others having problems, it's definitely the kind of stuff most of us in this line of work will have to deal with sooner or later unfortunatly.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Stretch your hands regularly. Extending them backwards helps a ton in the long run. Actually, regular stretching in general does wonders for the body, but people seem to think healthy routines are for 'nuts' these days.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I got carpal tunnel more often when I was still in school and needed to draw/ texture all the time. A brace definitely helps but its inconvenient most of the time, so something I do is I wear an athletic wristband almost all the time to provide some cushion while I'm doing day to day things. It's not always possible with work/school deadlines but taking breaks, even a day off really helps. My ex roommate told me about the stretching thing also, not an instant cure but it relieves some of the tension.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    For the in-editor navigation issues, you *might* be able to remap things to something less stressfu through AutoHotkey scripts. It's worth trying, and maybe your tech/tools guy could help you settings this up ?

As for typing, I found a strange but very smooth solution : I put an extra, low profile (apple) keyboard ... on the top edge of my screen (its a cintiq so it sits lower than a regular screen, especially when mounted on an arm). It sounds stupid but it makes typing very natural, since the wrists are very 'open' that way.

13739_173593182922_718782922_2979597_870699_n.jpg

Hope this helps. Im currently fighting lower back pains myself - there are so many wrong things with default computer workstations ...
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The best solution I've found was to just use a tablet/stylus for everything - no mouse.

I've heard that regular exercise especially the kind that gets blood circulating through the back, shoulders, neck, and arms helps a lot from someone who did have surgery for carpal tunnel. Best to speak to a actual doctor about that kind of thing though...
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    The only time I have had a ton of pain in my hand due to my mouse was on my art test for Naughty Dog. Like you I have an Logitic mouse, MX510 which is basicly the same as your MX518. I used the middle mouse button to rotate and do other navigation a TON and my hand was started to hurt a ton. Tried icing it and heating it. It stopped once I was done with the art test and didnt need to click that middle mosue button anymore.

I know it was due to that mouse which I love and that middle click that gave me such bad pain.

I work about the same crazy hours at work now but in Maya I dont need to use the middle mouse button and its so much better. I would defiantly try and get that middle mouse click off your nav controls for world builder. Think that will help a ton as will all the other stuff mentioned.

Worst thing for me right now is backpain like pior. Then again I am a HUGE slouch and have a terrible chair at home and at work : / Putting my monitors on about 10 books so there raised high forced me to sit slightly straighter which already has been the a world of difference.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I had the same thing Autocon, after 2 years using only Maya I had to switch back to Max when I changed jobs, and it completely destroyed my hand having to use middle click on a shitty mouse all the time.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I haven't read through the posts above, but I've had some pretty gnarly issues with carpal tunnel and a reoccurring cyst on my right wrist. Luckily, the cyst is not located on the bone or in a nerve cluster, so I don't need surgery. However, it comes back every 2 months or so, and sticks around for a few weeks. Anyhoo, what I've found to be most helpful is to extend and stretch your fingers several times a day, especially your thumb. Take your fingers, spread them wide, and press down on a table or pull them back with your other hand. It relieves a lot of the pressure and stress we get from constantly cramping our hands around a mouse. I also stretch my thumb separately. Additionally, I used to wear a wrist brace while at work, and it helped A LOT. I've since misplaced it, though. The last bit of advice I can give is to set your chair so that your arm is resting on the desk, and NOT on the arm chair. I had a buddy who ended up pinching a nerve in his elbow and had to get surgery on it. That is definitely not a surgery you want. This also helps your wrist by keeping it level with your mouse or keyboard. Hope this helps, good luck! :)

p.s. I love popping my cyst.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a pretty dirty sloth myself, but thats nasty Geezus!

On topic: I would visit a chiropractor or a doc if it's bad, you don't want to make it worse and have to go in for surgery... He might help that back problem as well, but I'm guessing you're a young guy, in the peak of your youth sooo he's just going to tell you to exercise.

It just feels amazing when you stretch after sitting on the chair for a long time, crack some bones. ahhhhhhh too good. Especially when you crack your tail bone after sitting like a sloth, fuck...
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    I've started having issues with that a few months ago, it scared the hell out of me when my drawing hand just kept going numb. It helped me a great deal to just try getting myself to never sleep with my wrist bend and to replace my desk with one that has adjustable an height, and to move my arms/hands around every once in a while. There are youtube tutorials for some exercises that help. My hand is fine now and only hurts/goes numb if I sleep on it by accident X.x

I've read that using a tablet rather than a mouse helps a lot of people, as mentioned before in this thread. I've been using my wacom for 99% of the time during the last couple of years though, so I can't really tell if there's much of a difference ^^;
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Geezus wrote: »
    You're so digusting Geezus... Still waiting for that youtube vid of you doing it posted to WAYWO.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Geezus wrote: »
    I haven't read through the posts above, but I've had some pretty gnarly issues with carpal tunnel and a reoccurring cyst on my right wrist. Luckily, the cyst is not located on the bone or in a nerve cluster, so I don't need surgery. However, it comes back every 2 months or so, and sticks around for a few weeks. Anyhoo, what I've found to be most helpful is to extend and stretch your fingers several times a day, especially your thumb. Take your fingers, spread them wide, and press down on a table or pull them back with your other hand. It relieves a lot of the pressure and stress we get from constantly cramping our hands around a mouse. I also stretch my thumb separately. Additionally, I used to wear a wrist brace while at work, and it helped A LOT. I've since misplaced it, though. The last bit of advice I can give is to set your chair so that your arm is resting on the desk, and NOT on the arm chair. I had a buddy who ended up pinching a nerve in his elbow and had to get surgery on it. That is definitely not a surgery you want. This also helps your wrist by keeping it level with your mouse or keyboard. Hope this helps, good luck! :)

jesus. :o

Mine is pretty much like this:

Ganglion.jpg

Maybe I'm lucky to not have any reoccuring pains, just a horrible extension I could probably give a name soon.

(Im thinking quato)

I think my best ever trick was to find the mouse that was the best for my hand (mx518) and also make sure the surface under it was the best possible, less tension in hand and less required movements.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Almost everyone I went to school with had horrible tendonitis/carpel tunnels syndrome due to the crappiest chairs ever, and lack of excercise (core muscles).

Nearly everything that has to do with carpel tunnels syntrome starts with posture.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    My fingers used to get a little numb with my forearms resting on that artery on the bottom of your forearm. A little after I started at Vigil, my fingers started to hurt a bit and feel weak. I've been lifting regularly and playing sports for the last 6 months though, and all that stuff went away. I'm guessing improved circulation and being in better shape was the reason.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Chairs with armrests people D:

This is what we have at work. Costs one arm, but, saves the other :)
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Celle-Chair-Champagne-Brownstone/dp/B000NT9PRC/ref=pd_sbs_k_7[/ame]
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I attribute 90% of it to bad posture. Luckily this is fixable and it's not so bad that it has gotten to the point of surgery. I'm going to try the tablet method for a bit as well as get a new chair for better posture. Good luck to everyone with back trouble as well. Luckily I am not experiencing that, but I did for a few months when I was at my old job. The chair was the main culprit.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Noors wrote: »
    Chairs with armrests people D:

This is what we have at work. Costs one arm, but, saves the other :)
    http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Celle-Chair-Champagne-Brownstone/dp/B000NT9PRC/ref=pd_sbs_k_7

We have very similar chairs. The problem at Vigil, atleast for me, is that the desks are mounted to the wall at a predetermined height that cant be adjusted. Those chairs barely sit high enough even at the maximum height to get your forearms on the desk.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Steve,

I have had issues with this in the past when I used the mx510 and mx518... I ditched them for the MX Revolution (not avail anymore but they have the newer Performance Mouse MX http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5845 ) which is basically the same thing. The mouse buttons are customizable so I remapped the middle mouse button which created issues for me to one of the buttons my thumb could hit and make it easier.

I also started to stretch my fingers and wrists a lot more and work on some of the recommended exercises, drank more water and took breaks.

I re-aggrevated it when I started working construction but that was mainly due to the constant vibration of power tools.

Continued with the stretching, water, anti-inflammatory meds, rest and the wrist support as well when I slept and I don't have many of the same issues now.

Even with all the art test crunch lately I have been pretty much pain free and I was at the point where it even hurt to paint on my cintiq or play video games and totally destroyed my grip on my golf clubs when golfing.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My advice would be to be sure that it IS carpal tunnel first. I thought I had carpal tunnel because that term gets applied to every kind of wrist pain out there because, frankly, many doctors aren't informed enough to know better.

The doctor I went to asked me to do a few things to determine if it was carpal tunnel. I said that none of it hurt (which meant the tests were negative) and she hand waved it away still calling it carpal tunnel and told me to wear a wrist brace for the rest of my life.

So I did some reading on my own and came to the conclusion that what I actually had was RSI (repetitive strain injury). The muscles in my back were tired out which caused my shoulder to tire out which (this bone connected to that bone, etc) caused my wrist to hurt. The human body is a complicated machine!

Once I figured that out, I started seeing a deep tissue massage therapist and starting paying attention to my ergonomics in regards to mouse placement and such. I'll never be 100% free of the pain I've caused myself but it's definitely manageable now. I thought I was done with computers a few years back but I'm still here, still going strong and don't anticipate stopping anytime soon.

Good luck!
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    The chairs we use have also an option so the mechanism counterbalance your weight when you push with your back. Not sure i'm very clear. It takes a time of adaptation and proper settings, but it supports the back pretty well. And having the armrest at the table height helps too, when u can :(
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    My advice would be to be sure that it IS carpal tunnel first. I thought I had carpal tunnel because that term gets applied to every kind of wrist pain out there because, frankly, many doctors aren't informed enough to know better.

The doctor I went to asked me to do a few things to determine if it was carpal tunnel. I said that none of it hurt (which meant the tests were negative) and she hand waved it away still calling it carpal tunnel and told me to wear a wrist brace for the rest of my life.

So I did some reading on my own and came to the conclusion that what I actually had was RSI (repetitive strain injury). The muscles in my back were tired out which caused my shoulder to tire out which (this bone connected to that bone, etc) caused my wrist to hurt. The human body is a complicated machine!

Once I figured that out, I started seeing a deep tissue massage therapist and starting paying attention to my ergonomics in regards to mouse placement and such. I'll never be 100% free of the pain I've caused myself but it's definitely manageable now. I thought I was done with computers a few years back but I'm still here, still going strong and don't anticipate stopping anytime soon.

Good luck!

I believe mine to be quite similar in that it started with my shoulder. I had soreness in my shoulder and my forearm and as soon as I rested it and used some icyhot/anti-inflammatory medication my shoulder stopped hurting and my wrist stopped with it. I'm fairly certain I aggravated both my shoulder and my wrist and that they are 2 separate problems that happen to be in the same arm, which sucks. I'm trying some better posture that will hopefully relieve strain on my shoulders, and thus help with the wrist issue as well. Thanks again for all the help, glad to see I'm not the only one with the pains. :\
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Some of the things I use...

Evoluent 4 Vertical Mouse.

evoluent-vertical-mouse-v4-1288613228.jpg

Took me about a week to get used to it but it has quite a few buttons so it was a fairly easy transition from my mx-510. Add a few Autohotkey scripts to go along with it and now I really love it for work or just surfing in general. Regular Mice actually feel uncomfortable to me now.

Ergorest

e332023.gif

Love it. I battled elbow pain without this thing. I use it at work and really need to figure out how to hook one up at my place. I have a glass desk at home which I kind of regret now. Anyone with suggestions on the best way to attach something like this to a glass desk let me know in here or via PM

imak Smart Gloves

imak-reg-smart-glove.A201.1.800.jpg

Really like these. I used to use them on both hands before I got a Vertical Mouse. Now I'm not sure if I like it on my right hand; I just use a gel pad on the desk for that.

I started getting wrist pain about a year ago, and these changes have helped a lot. Like a lot of you, I'm trying to nip this thing in the bud.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's weird I've never had issues with my wrists that exercise hasn't fixed. It's weird but swinging from monkey bars and working out my forearms normally takes care of any wrist pain I have, which is always minor.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Try to keep masturbation at a minimum.
    f-ing lol! :poly136: > :thumbdown: > :thumbup: > :poly142: > :poly127: > :)
    Love polycount I come for the art but stay for the witty banter.

Awesome post foreverendering!
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    Solutions like wrist braces are really only useful for short term relief because they address symptoms, not the underlying problem.

Inefficient workflows, poor posture, minimal breaks, and lack of exercise can all contribute heavily to RSI. I'm not a doctor by any means, but here are some things I've found effective (both from reading and personal experience):

-- Good posture is incredibly important (and really difficult). This is influenced heavily by your workstation set up, so if possible adjust your chair and desk accordingly. Your knees should be at 90 degrees with your feet flat on the floor, your back shouldn't be rounded, your forearms should be fairly level and not angled upward. Weight training/exercise will help strengthen your core and improve your posture.

-- Equipment matters. I use a Wacom instead of a mouse and it reduces strain because my forearm bones aren't twisting (same principle behind the vertical mouse posted earlier). It also reduces mouse clicks (tap instead of left click). I also use an ergonomic keyboard; I was skeptical at first, but now I can't go back to straight keys. My hands just feel like they're at a completely unnatural angle and it's uncomfortable, to say the least. And I haven't tried this yet, but I think one or two USB foot pedals could distribute the clicking workload and reduce stress on the shoulder/forearm/wrist. Progg, imagine if you could just hold down mouse 2 with light foot pressure to navigate the camera?

-- Observe what actions you repeat most in your software and figure out ways to streamline them. I use an incredibly array of shortcuts while animating in Maya, and I still think my workflow is inefficient. But making better use of the keyboard evens out stress on both arms (my tablet arm is typically way more active) and has the added bonus of increasing my productivity.

-- Take frequent small breaks to stand up and stretch out your legs, back, neck, shoulders, arms, and wrists. A few minutes every hour goes a long way when you're working 8, 10, 12 hours a day.

-- Exercising several times a week always makes me feel better. It increases the strength and flexibility of my muscles and also helps reduce any RSI-related stresses I might be feeling. It seems so simple, and I know it can be really difficult during extensive crunch, but the potential benefits are huge.

I think the hardest part of all this is that it requires constant effort and vigilance. Being proactive is difficult... we all have a tendency to wait until we're feeling pain, sometimes a LOT of pain, and by then it might be really late in the process.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    With a choice between necroposting, or posting a duplicate topic, I chose the former as there is some good info in here worth bumping.

I thought it'd be something familiar to many people here, and mine has been getting really bad of late, so have been looking for solutions that don't mean I have to quit my job haha.

It's been bad for about 6 months now, but recently I'm now feeling pain in the finger tips - a bit like a stinging/bruised feeling, like I'd just hit it with a wooden paddle or something.

How do you guys approach it with your boss if say you needed to get something like a new chair etc? I got one of those microsoft ergonomic keyboards + mouse - and it's helping somewhat, but having read this thread, I can see stuff like the fact the desk is too shallow (it's less than three feet deep, and with a large monitor stand and the super deep keyboard , there's no room to really rest on the desk ) , the chair has to sit sideways as the legs of the desk can't accommodate the drawer unit and the PC, and the bundles of power leads and network cables mean you can't really move your legs around much.

I did ask about time off, but it seems the only way I'd get respite is to simply quit the job. :-/

With so many people getting pain/injury - is there any kind of legislation protecting employees in the event of injury?

I'm really hoping this is not permanent, as I'd hate to not be able to play piano/guitar as I used to be able to, just because of having a job where I'm constantly having to copy/paste by keystroke because the software my job uses is so archaic it doesn't allow right clicking. :D
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Have you gone to a doctor?
    My father has really bad carpal tunnel and needs surgery if he wants to fix it,
    Get it sorted early mate, you'll regret it if you don't.

Ergorest looks like its renderer with 3point :)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I've battled pains in my right wrist as well. Most of it came from horrible posture, poor mouse choice for a while, clicking a middle mouse button, not resting, over use, working with power tools / vibrating equipment (when i was doing construction) killed my hands and even playing softball and golf made it unbearable.

A while back I switched mice to the Logitech Revolution MX (no longer made by Logitech) but they have a very similar one available now. I remapped the button on the left side of the mouse that my thumb was always resting against to be middle mouse button in max and all my modeling / editor applications and it helped a ton. I also had a wrist support and slept with that for a while. I still had pains but stretching, massaging, ice, heat, etc really helped.

Since I've started to eat better, drink more water, work out, stretch and take better care of myself and all that I have not had any issues with things in quite a while. I can't say exactly what fixed it but changing up to have better posture, mouse, etc is easy fixes in my opinion before trying surgery.

So that is just my two cents.
  • heavyness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of the things I use...

Ergorest

e332023.gif

Been using an Ergo Rest at home and at work for the past 12 years. NEVER had any problems with my arm. Sure, it gets tired/sore when I'm working crazy, but no carpal tunnel issues.

Also, if you can't get your hands on an Ergo rest, just make sure you elbow is planted on your desk or chair and start moving your mouse around by moving you entire lower arm (elbow down) instead of your wrist. I've trained myself not to move my wrist at all when using a mouse.

Also, exercise.
  • DimitrisT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DimitrisT polycounter lvl 17
    Other than what's already been mentioned(posture, use a tablet etc.) I can recommend workrave. It makes you take breaks every 3-4 minutes for 30 seconds so that the cartilage in your wrist can relax into its normal position.

http://www.workrave.org/

Install it and have the patience to follow it.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    mine affects my non mouse hand and it came from resting my elbow while working.

My small finger and the one next to it have been numb for about 3 years now, though it had eased off to what it was.
    At one point it got reallly painful, but its better these days, i have my left hand mainly my in my lap or hanging down the side. Not too comfy, but its better than the alternative (re 127 hours)
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Very interesting thread. I´ve had issues with my hand as well - twice. This March and also last year in March.
    The first time was really painful and I think that it was the middle mouse button that caused it (rotating in max). It was impossible to do anything in ZBrush with a claw that couldn´t reach for the pen button without a pain. Taking a break helped for a while - just until I went to shower. You don´t realize how much your fingers move when you manipulate the soap until you have some issues with your hands... I couldn´t even find any comfortable position in bed to fall asleep.

Same thing happened this year, only this time my finger tips went numb at some stage and I could see my hand sweating. Just watching the hand for like a minute and I could see the little sweat drops coming and going, repeatively.

I never really saw a doctor with this but I might if it comes back again. I´ve read about the carpal tunnel some time ago and it really freaked me out. It´s definitely something you don´t want to end up with. And it´s not only like losing a job over this, but a hobby and a passion as well.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    When this happened to me (I made a thread a little while back, go search for it) I switched my mouse to me left hand and drastically adjusted my posture. Eventually my right hand started feeling better and I switched back.
  • Optagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optagon null
    aesir wrote: »
    When this happened to me (I made a thread a little while back, go search for it) I switched my mouse to me left hand and drastically adjusted my posture. Eventually my right hand started feeling better and I switched back.

This. I use my wacom with my right hand I've got my mouse placed to the left of the keyboard for when i don't need speed or precision. Every click I can spare my right hand counts, even when using the tablet. The fingers that are below the pen get a bit numb as they catch the most pressure, and on bad days the top area of my hand feels like it's burning, but not in a very painful way.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    aesir wrote: »

Ha! I've just started to get pains in my left hand from using the mouse. But I have been stretching and using it in an awkward way. Its no big deal because I can just stop using it.