Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Shiv

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Shiv polycounter lvl 15
This post is going to be a bit of a dump, should have made it a while ago but I get sidetracked easily and it just didnt happen. (**Lazy**)

I am a first year student at tees studying games art, I think I would like to pursue a job making enviroments.
I enjoy creating models from other peoples concepts.

This post is going to be a bit of a catchup dump.

*Intro to asset creation*
Strict tutorial models :
x6n4v8.jpg
715lbp.jpg
jaw19x.jpg
14dm23p.jpg
104luvp.jpg

We where then given 10 pictures of props and asked to choose 3 to model.
1ertxe.jpg
2i7vlzd.jpg
eulyr5.jpg

*intro to animation*
Pose sheet from walk cycles *handed in*
1t623r.jpg

And my final mix cycle *handed in*
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Ma-aTNFws[/ame]

Sorry about the long post, hopefully they will be shorter from now on :x
I need to get started on texturing, I dont have access to photoshop on my desktop so its a bit of a pain :\

Replies

• Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Working on my enviroment for game level design.
    A dream world in which the player is tasked with saving a girl and finding the face of the assassin who killed someone and gave a poor girl concussion(inside the concussed girls head)
    awp2q9.jpg

And one of the encounters in the world which are used to solve puzzles.

33lgew2.jpg
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Spent a couple of days constructing a house.
    Based on http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/MO0202/
    Had to be all 1 element within 2k triangles.

1zq391d.gif

Comments and critiques are greatly appreciated :)
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    f9lcue.jpg
    Working on getting rid of the seams at the moment, 298 tri chair.

And an update to the road cone -
    2rge43l.jpg
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    For Uni
    23kyidw.jpg
    15qdb9z.jpg
    Phone booth texture has just been startedm trying to block in colours and such. The others are hopefully nearly done... apart from the church wall generally sucking.
    The barrel needs some cleanup.
    Diffuse only

For hobby
    2zrm03p.jpg
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Finished the knife and dumped it into udk, better get back to school work now :x
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    summer hols, time for more personal stuff :o
    Just finished up a 360 controller.
    360controller10_udk.JPG
    I fixed the smoothing issues on the right analogue stick, had forgotten to give it a smoothing group. Its not perfect but I would like to move on before it bogs me down.
    I am still learning my way around materials in udk.... and in general i guess. Need to do some research on using the material editor so i can bend it to my will :D
    I got a few issues on normal and ambo generation in xnormal. I think thats because the high poly was a mess of holes and objects, I also didnt bother to explode it which i think i should have, will try for next time.
    I also built it wrong, for the nice curves of the main case I created the top and bottom seperatly as planes and then bent into shape. This seemed logical at the time but upon completion i feel blocking a box into shape then adding the fine detail like the seam would have worked much better for overall shape and fixed many dirty holes on the mesh.
    Max says its 2002 triangles, udk says its 1998 no idea why, maybe verts I broke get merged on export?
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Summer holidays over, I didnt get as much done as hoped. But some stuff was created, woo!
    First up, a picture of my 360 controller finished and in UDK, So much broken on it. It feels like I have come a long way from it even if its just lots of little things.
    360_Controller.JPG

Then I created a bucket for an environment being created with a friend. Its kind of stalled now and I have uni work to get working on. (Wakfu environment)
    Wakfu_Bucket.JPG
    And the blockout.
    blockout_02.jpg
    Also had some fun working with texture maps in udk. Learnt a lot, including the start of creating a grid like effect trying to emulate the sprite gridding. But I can control which texture goes where from a tiny colour control texture. I couldnt figure out how to get nice squares in udk with vertex painting. Didnt look deep into it at the time tho.
    UDK_Gridding_3.JPG

A really quick and dirty revolver model. I am going to go over the texture and spec again at some point as it kinda looks crap to be honest. Especially the specular.
    Western_Revolverx.JPG

A pretty quick Salloon door, Worked on getting spec right and learning projection stuff for normal map and ambo generation in 3ds max.
    Saloon_Door.JPG

And now I have 3 projects on the go for uni so maybe there will be more frequency in my updates :x
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Working from an idea through thumbnails to my current concept for the character art part of the course.

Mole_Rat_C.jpg

Mole rat riot police! :)
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Buggy_line.jpg

His vehicle, should have stepped away from it for a bit but hand in is looming so hurried a bit, so its missing
    Front springs
    Front bumper
    Window wipers
    Wing mirror
    Mud guards.

got to get around to putting them on soon.

Thanks
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Today I did a ton of blocking out for my environment for uni. Dipped my toes in vertex painting and had another wrestle with normal and ambo creation with projection in 3ds max.
    I apologise for the ugly pictures, but they are my test runs :)

Vertex%20Test.jpg
    Tire_Test.jpg

Oh yeah, and block out of the mole rat concept
    Character_Head-1.jpg
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Block out complete and a texture test in udk :)

Character_Blockout-1.JPG
    Blockout_2.JPG
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Bit of a bulk update.
    Been working on all 3 of my projects, we have been given a bit of an extension for environment so going to slow working on that down for a bit and get my character caught up.

Also, fixed shadows and such on my udk meshes so they look a bit nicer now, nicer contrast and the shadows are actually in the right place now! :)

Head sculpt
    Character_Head-3.JPG

Body ready for sculpting in zbrush (hopefully, it will probably need a fair few tweaks)
    Character_Blockout-3.JPG

Progress on my vehicle model, colour coded for ease of use.
    Vehicle_3.JPG

Piece 2 for my environment
    Assets_2.jpg
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Some progress on uni projects
    Mole rat face is coming along, added the front teeth and eyes and unwrapped them, just need to add the bottom teeth and texture them + spec map.
    Vehicle low is modelled, just needs to go through clean up then unwraps, normal maps and fin.
    Environment has a bit longer till hand in, I am being a bit slow on it atm, need to fix that.

Character_Head-5.JPG
    Character_Torso2.jpg
    Character_Arm1.JPG
    Vehicle_5.jpg
    Assets_3.jpg
    Environment_1.JPG
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    nice works, i see you're aiming learn a wide range of game art stuff.
    your modular wall with window seems to have a pretty bold seam on texture, window itself could use more edge definition. also those cracks on glass parts look weird, i think you should make them flat on the normal map.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks a lot Blaisoid, we kind of have to learn a lot for uni, 3 projects on the go at once :|
    I have fixed the glass and the tiling in my environment, just havent been able to give it much time recently as its the last hand in, will post that over the coming weeks.

Sorry about the loooonnnggg gap between updates, I have been working hard on my character and mechanical submissions, hand ins on monday. Just one more thing to do and I am all set to hand it in. I learnt so much looking through the threads on here during construction, here is the construction of my character and final pictures, will sort out vehicle in a little bit.

Mole_Rat_Final.jpg
    Character_ModelSheet.jpg
    Character_Construction.jpg
  • Motorov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv wrote: »
    2yv9mxs.jpg
    xony90.jpg

What do you want to say that inscription on the blade? :poly122:
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    I should say something along the line of "sharp" cant remember exactly, what does it say? :x
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Havent updated in toooo long, my bad :\ working on environment project for uni.
    Currently working on environment. Hand ins on the 4th and my laptop died over christmas week while at home so attacking it like mad.

Bit of a link dump sorry.

Where I was at 22nd Dec just before heading home with my "trusty" laptop.
    Blockout_3.JPG
    Blockout_4.JPG
    Working through it and getting it ready for heading home I realised there might be a much easier for me to manage assets so a lot of them got re-built/split apart and re-unwrapped so I could experiment with masking + vertex painting together so windows dont suddenly turn into other windows, here is a bit of a thought process behind that.
    Enviro_Fail.jpg
    The unwrap at the bottom was just a super quick theory test. They are tidier/better now (i think XD)

Getting my wall vertex painting to work, there are 3 brick textures in there, i just stupidly have 2 white ones. Going to fix that tommorow.
    Environment_Materials.JPG

Where I was at last night.
    Environment_3.JPG

Where I am at tonight.
    The sun is masked off by the 2 moving sets of clouds on the material, I havent removed clouds from the original picture but it doesnt seem to matter too much.
    Environment_4.JPG

Thanks for looking, bed time for me... need to stop going to bed as everyone else wakes up.

And i broke the foliage again... woo
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    New dump of stuff, not going to promise to keep it updated because i am lame.

Chest_Test5.JPG
    TerrainTest.JPG

Mind_TripReader.JPG

Front_Shot.jpg
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Chest_Test7.JPG
    Hopefully fixed after a round of crits, got to move on.

For some reason as well, the specular is not behaving correctly on the lower piece, No idea why :\