Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Scott Homer - Environment Artist

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

Im a 20year old 3D Games Art student (3rd year) at the University of Hertfordshire in the UK, coming up to the end of my degree in a few months time. Once I finish I hope to obtain a junior position in a games company as an Asset artist/Environment artist. I've managed to pull everything together into a 90% completed portfolio, and a work in progress showreel. I was hoping that you guys could give me as much critique as possible in an effort to get my work to industry standard.

As a long time fan of polycount, i lurk around the forums on a daily basis and the time has come to do as many others before me have an have my portfolio/show reel torn apart! :poly122:

Id love some critique on my website aswell, usability, professionalism etc. Im thick skinned so you guys can go to town on it!

My showreel:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jOkEPdLULs&hd=1[/ame]

My website can be seen over at: ScottHomer.co.uk

A selection of my work:
Humvee-Beauty-Realtime2.jpg
finalimage.jpg
ScottHomer-Building-Final-SMALL2.jpg
ScottHomer-Building-textures-SMALL1.jpg
ScottHomer-roadmodule-Final1.jpg
scotthomer-final21.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at my work.
Scott

Replies

• JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice work for coming straight out of school! My main suggestion would be to get rid of that 2d sheet, it's by far the weakest art on your site.

Somebody pick this guy up.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pick me upp!

Im 100% with you, im by no stretch of the imagination a great 2d artist (i was kinda pushed by my uni to include hand drawn artwork in my reel) Would you suggest removing it from my showreel/website completely, or working to get better at 2d before i start applying for positions?

Thanks for the advice Jdinges.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    awesome work, i wish i would have been on top of my shit while i was in school, i might have been able to land a job by now :(

your presentation and quality is top notch, but i agree about the 2d. im sure you'll have no problem nabbing a job, good luck!
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome stuff. I agree about the 2d thing. Feels out of place. You can have it up on your website and show it during the interview but IMO it doesn't belong in your reel.

Cheers and good luck with the job hunt!!!
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin wrote: »
    awesome work, i wish i would have been on top of my shit while i was in school, i might have been able to land a job by now :(

your presentation and quality is top notch, but i agree about the 2d. im sure you'll have no problem nabbing a job, good luck!

Why thank you, i hope i do nab a job! Althought not nabbing a job could be a good thing, if I was out of uni, without a job in games I think id really enjoy being able to work at a more relaxed pace, each other pieces above was pretty much made within 2 weeks (2 weeks for each piece) so im sure that if i spent a month on each they could be amazing!

Yeah, "school" (you Americans :poly122:) has been really tough, ive pretty much given up my entire life for the past 2 years especially, its been hairy at times but the rewards within the course are great. 3Dhit is the universities equivalent of PolyCount and they are really great for critism, and the praise and rewards (such as being front paged) make it all worthwhile. We are pretty luck to have great artists teaching us, in particular a cool guy who worked on Goldeneye for the N64 back in the day. (im not on commision, honestly!)

I hope things go well with the job hunt buddy, i haven't started applying yet, going to bide my time to fine tune things and then ill get stuck in, any advice on when to start applying?

David-J wrote: »
    Awesome stuff. I agree about the 2d thing. Feels out of place. You can have it up on your website and show it during the interview but IMO it doesn't belong in your reel.

Cheers and good luck with the job hunt!!!

Yeah, thats a great point, in the next revision of my reel ill ditch the life drawing stuff at the end, ive got alittle more games art (top secret!) to put into the reel so that can make way for it.

Thanks for the good wishes, looking forward to getting out there and seeing what is available.

(btw, i love the Psycho building on your site, completely thought it was a photo at first, great stuff).

Thanks for looking guys.
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is just great work, good inspiration. And as the others said good look with the job hunt.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Some really good work! You'll have no trouble finding a job eventually. Where will you apply?
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Fantastic reel, and great work altogether! Extremely impressive work. I have to agree with everyone that your 2d sheet at the end of the reel is out of place, and your weakest work.

I've been told by a number of professionals that employers will look at your sketchbook sometimes before they look at your reel. Do what you can in that area, but just a heads up. That may call for some better drawings, but, since you're an environment artist, you might benefit just showing them orthogonal blue-print drawings with a straight-edge. I have no idea, though, I'm not in the industry so I can't say anything from experience.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much guys, im glad you guys are liking it. I personally have a love and hate relationship with it all, seeing as ive spent so many hours fine tuning each piece, redoing bits over and over its become hard to look at them!

I don't have a set list of places im going to apply to, working with someone like Crytek, Splash Damage, Rocksteady, Eurocom or Rockstar North would be incredible, its all down to who wants me really. Tbh id love to get an interview even if I didn't get a job, getting feedback and coming back bigger and better next time and blowing their socks off would be rewarding. Id love to move the US, but unless I marry an American (my girlfriend probably wouldn't like that) or I get a Masters its not very likely.

@Makkon, As much as it kills me that I essentially don't have the skills at present to put together any 2d work of an equal standard to my 3d, the idea of orthographic straight edge drawings in a sketchbook is a great idea. I actually trained as a draftsman for 3 years before getting into 3D, I even still have all the drawing boards etc. I will definitely begin doing that. I might take my best props, and begin sketching them out orthographically. Thank you for that, such a good idea.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty good, I'm sure someone will take you on. Curiously high polycounts though, worst offender being the apartment building at 30k. Even with all those windows modeled that seems high, and I can't for the life of me see where it all goes :) On the buggy I can see some stuff looking odd on the side beneath the seat, lot's of probably uneccessary geo there, as well as on the beveled headlights. It's hard to tell but stuff like this might not contribute to the silhouette or shape of your model but eat a truckload of tris nonetheless, and maybe worse, show that you're not baking stuff down as well as you could. Then again, for hero props/portfolio stuff, I wouldn't say it's critical. Another suggestion, (that you also probably don't have time/patience for) but the Tomb Raider render might be better converted to lopoly specs as well, it kind of comes off as a realtime environment in look yet has prerender specs & mentalray render... instead of a so-so prerender that might be misunderstood as a too-hipoly realtime scene, why not turn it into a proper scene in UDK with real specs? Learn something too, probably.

Just my two cents off the top of my head! It's a good portfolio regardless, good luck.

EDIT: Pennsylvania, State of IndependEnce, surely? ;)
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rasmus wrote: »
    Looks pretty good, I'm sure someone will take you on. Curiously high polycounts though, worst offender being the apartment building at 30k. Even with all those windows modeled that seems high, and I can't for the life of me see where it all goes :) On the buggy I can see some stuff looking odd on the side beneath the seat, lot's of probably uneccessary geo there, as well as on the beveled headlights. It's hard to tell but stuff like this might not contribute to the silhouette or shape of your model but eat a truckload of tris nonetheless, and maybe worse, show that you're not baking stuff down as well as you could. Then again, for hero props/portfolio stuff, I wouldn't say it's critical. Another suggestion, (that you also probably don't have time/patience for) but the Tomb Raider render might be better converted to lopoly specs as well, it kind of comes off as a realtime environment in look yet has prerender specs & mentalray render... instead of a so-so prerender that might be misunderstood as a too-hipoly realtime scene, why not turn it into a proper scene in UDK with real specs? Learn something too, probably.

Just my two cents off the top of my head! It's a good portfolio regardless, good luck.

EDIT: Pennsylvania, State of IndependEnce, surely? ;)

Hey dude, you've got some great point, im taking a note of things to change for the next revision of my showreel! Funnily enough ive managed to get the apartment building down to 12k previously, and I cant for the life of me think why I didn't use this one instead of the 30k version, however I will make sure that in the next version of my reel I include the 12k version instead. I suspect the main reason is due to the fact that I have modelled the reverse side of the building. I will definitely sort that out though, cheers for pointing it out.

The buggy, I can see what you mean about the bevelling of the headlights, it would probably cut out a hundred poly or more, I kinda figured that seeing as the eye would naturally be drawn to the white headlights, having a little more geometry there, making sure its all smooth would be a fair use of polygons. I'm due to revisit that scene soon anyway, so ill make sure I take that into account. (ill post updates as they get finished)

The main reason I created the tomb raider scene pre-rendered was because everything else in my reel was realtime, and I wanted to give myself the best shot at the job market, putting something pre-rendered into my reel would leave the option of working in film or television open, I do agree that its not very obvious that its not realtime, I should perhaps make more of an effort to point that out. I have a fair bit of experience with UDK, and I reckon I could transfer the scene into UDK quite seamlessly, its all built in a fairly modular fashion. When I am done with uni, ill get straight on that one (abit of a hefty undertaking!)

Argh! the spelling mistake, ill make sure I sort that out a swell, (not a great deal of work, but it could've been pretty embarrassing in an interview!)

Thank you for taking a look at my stuff, ive got a good chunk of crits there, and I promise ill start working on rectifying those issues asap. Funnily enough, the sewer scene you have in your portfolio really inspired me in my second year of university, I created a piece inspired by it (didn't look much like it, but had a similar flavour!).

Peace, Scott
  • Mir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mir polycounter lvl 6
    Looks neat! I espcially like the road peice, one thing though is it just my computer or does it look like the alpha on the "80" sign is acting up on the road peice?
    Also don't know if its on purpose but your twitter and facebook link just goes to the sites not a user =)
    Good luck on the job hunting!
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent stuff. The layout of the website is great, not to many clicks and everything is on the homepage and the work is superb. Two things I noticed were on the homepage the link at the bottom of the tomb raider homage gets cut off at least for me. Also why do you have your sketchbook on your website with everything in there if you have specific links to each piece?
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Nice stuff. Like said before, the polycount on some things are way too high. The jeep is too high. Most of the props in your Egypt thing are too high. It just seems weird that some of the things in that scene are low poly and then you got the statues which are really high poly.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    good stuff bud, one thing: speed up that reel so it lasts about a minute - waaaay too slow and long for such interesting work.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool - things like baking down the windows to a texture and only model out the sashes and stuff where you relly need it would save tris - and by all means keep the headlights of the buggy round, but let the normalmaps do the beveling. I see you do a lot of modeling stuff out in detail (which I do too little of), but yeah, just make sure you utilize the strength of normalmaps as much as possible and you're good. Enough of my ranting, good luck :)
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Somebody plays Urban Dead. ;)

Very nice work, man. Best of luck!
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rasmus wrote: »
    Cool - things like baking down the windows to a texture and only model out the sashes and stuff where you relly need it would save tris - and by all means keep the headlights of the buggy round, but let the normalmaps do the beveling. I see you do a lot of modeling stuff out in detail (which I do too little of), but yeah, just make sure you utilize the strength of normalmaps as much as possible and you're good. Enough of my ranting, good luck :)

Yeah, 100% agreement with you. Dont feel bad for ranting, im taking a note of everything you are saying and making sure that I get to making the changes straight away (im pretty anal about fixing crits so stay tuned) i have a pretty huge deadline at uni on Wednesday (hence why ive been sitting in this position for 20 hours putting together page after page of documentation) but as soon as that is out of the way I can focus on getting the meaty problems sorted out. I need to post the texture sheets for the buggy on-line too, ill get to that asap.

@Rick_D - good stuff bud, one thing: speed up that reel so it lasts about a minute - waaaay too slow and long for such interesting work. -
    I agree with this, its difficult really, too fast and you don't get to see the wire frame etc and you are left none the wiser, too slow and its boring. Are there any good guidelines you can think of. I reckon I could do a condensed reel and a longer slower reel, we'll see.

@Striff - Yeah, I agree, ive got LODs of the Humvee (can be seen in the reel) of 40k and 20k. However they need to be shown off on my website, ill make sure I get some screen captures of those asap. I agree with you on the tomb scene. I'm ashamed of the quality of the statues to be quite honest, they are definitely not my best work, they are an organic shape and this is where my abilities lack. Not being a character artist, the idea of modelling a character falls out of my category completely (pretty shameful really) its on my to-do list right near the top but im glad you noticed. As for the poly counts, well I just tried to make everything look good in that scene more than anything. I think that rectifying the issues with the statues being so high poly (and so diabolically crap) ill be able to make it all look alot more unified. Keep posted for updates on that.

@KennyTies - The sketchbook is kind of work in progress atm, im modifying several word press scripts to try and get it working, and at present I dont have enough time to keep it updated. I should get rid of it for the time being, id rather not have potential employers thinking that I lack the ability to finish things that I have started. As for the Tomb Raider bit, you have a point, ill see if I cant re-jig the writing to make it come up. Good spot, you are freaky observant.

RIGHT. As I mentioned before things are a little hectic with uni atm, I have a massive hand in on Wednesday, and although im on-top of it, gotta do my final checks to make sure its all ready to be submitted. (yawn)

Whilst waiting for a video to encode today I sat writing up a list of what needs to be done on my show-reel and taking into account all of the critique ive received so far. I figured id post this up to prove to you all that its not falling onto deaf ears and ensure that each change gets done.

progres1.jpg
    (ill make sure to keep this updated as things get rectified)
    *EDIT* Thats right, Nusic, not music, NUSIC. Its what all the kids are listening to, dont you know?!

Thanks so much to everyone who is nit-picking, its hopefully going to enable me to get my reel upto standard!
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    nice stuff!

how did you do the camera pans in marmoset ?
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh! See im super sneaky...

Actually, it was abit of a pain. My parents have a full HD tv, so i connected my laptop to the tv, and was able to full screen it and capture it at full HD. The showreel is half hd (720p) so i had a fair bit of extra video each side of the 720p video. I just moved the shots around to create the pans in After Effects. Simple really!
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Regarding your tri counts for your low poly models. Don't let poly budget hurt your folio. And at the same time don't use 10k tris on something that could easisy be done with 100 or less. Just use your best judgment. Great job, overall. Keep pimping the stuff!
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul wrote: »
    Regarding your tri counts for your low poly models. Don't let poly budget hurt your folio. And at the same time don't use 10k tris on something that could easisy be done with 100 or less. Just use your best judgment. Great job, overall. Keep pimping the stuff!

Heya Raul, im a big fan of yours (you ever seen Zombieland, when Woody Harrelson meets Bill Murray and he's like "BILL FUCKING MURRAY" I kinda have that whole thing going on atm) so thanks for taking a look at my work. Id have to say that this is where my mind set is at the moment in regards to the polycounts, I have created LODs of 40k and 20k which can be seen in my reel, however the 60k version would obviously apply to a hero vehicle. Ive tinkered around with GTAIV in the past and their vehicles are around 50k polygons with several lods of course. Id rather have the model at 60k and look cool, than at 20k and not include the interior (which is fully modelled). That being said, i've been called up on it hundreds of times so I need to make sure that I pimp the shit out of the 40k and 20k versions. Cheers for the input Raul, i read somewhere that you are at ID now right? Hows that working out for you?

Just to treat everyone to alittle WIP i took a break from some university stuff im tackling at the moment (Dissertation, groan) to start a prop for the base of the Golf Cart that im going to soon revisit to make the changes suggested above. No prizes for guessing what it is :P
    polycounthighpoly.jpg
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    I did my 3rd year in a similar course in sheffield last year and your 3D work easily smokes all the other guys that were on that course. Im not sure how accurate it is as a comparison as 90% of em didn't take anything seriously (art course, 3 years where you get free money & don't need to work), but regardless, if you had a lot of trouble finding a junior job with this work i'd be surprised.

The only thing i'd say about the reel is what's already been said, drop that 2d stuff at the end and maybe quicken the pace of the video a little. I dunno if it's the actual pacing or the slow music that's maybe doing it, but i was skipping through to see the work at the end.

Minor nitpicks though. Besides what's already been said and you've already taken on board i have no more crits, everything seems really solid :)
  • XRevan23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XRevan23 polycounter lvl 15
    wow, your work is pretty amazing, im sure your have little trouble getting a job with your talent, the only problem I think is the already mentioned 2d work, poly count on some of the stuff gets too high, i don't know but the stuff looks so good I think they would just overlook that's its a little higher than it should be. Also the temple scene I think is your weakest piece because statues not having enough detail for all the polys used in them. But the talent is certainly their, I'm sure in a short time you be busy working long hours on a AAA game,lol.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Hey there,

I liked your Golf cart most, it had the most individual style out of the pieces in your portfolio. It'd be really good to see more of these pieces as they are the type of pieces that allow you to show what your imagination is capable of rather than what your attention to detail is capable of replicating.

Theres a lot of replication skills required, but after a while you are going to get hungry for more invention in your diet so its good to be working toward that early on so you could perhaps start somewhere that pushes invention more than replication.

I expect the course you took pushed you towards the choices you made though? Aiming for what is more commonly done isn't a bad strategy for a course to teach, but its good to show you can do less commonly done styles also. I know that when I look at someones work, I want to see what is theirs, not what is the worlds, I look for individual style and invention.

An ability to replicate real world forms is a great skill; being able to apply them to invented structures is the highest ideal though.... well for some of us I suppose :)

Like everyones mentioned, you ought to drop the 2d stuff, it's not your strength and you are only as strong as the weakest piece in your portfolio. Don't worry about it though, no one cares when you are an environment guy, not often a priority for a character guy or level designer either really, its generally just about the assets you can make in 2d/3d apps in the games industry.

Its cool if you can do 2d too, like an extra fancy spoon being given alongside your expresso... sure, we'll use it, but we care about the coffee.

Also, polycounts are high everywhere, this ought to be sorted out ASAP, especially if you have 12k versions of that building for instance. Experience is partly just code for demonstrating that we are aware of the cost of things, everything you build costs the engine rendering time, lower polycounts and inventive reuse of textures demonstrates an awareness of this.

It's a strong portfolio for a college guy and you have a great attitude which will take you as far as the quality of the work if you can keep it :)
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya Kevin! Sorry for my late reply, I managed to get a huge deadline handed in today, after a good 30-40 hours of being awake, so i passed out face down at some point today and awoke feeling like id been hit with a baseball bat!

Thanks for taking a look at my stuff, id have to agree that one of my favourite pieces is the Golf Cart, it was a nice feeling making something a little more unique and not having to use a whole bunch of reference. I would love to redo my reel with a little more imagination, however when I was putting together each piece I was thinking more about what would make me employable to a potential employer, rather than what would satisfy my own artistic itches. I do have a pretty good imagination, i should perhaps let it out of my head from time to time.

I'm glad that 2D art ability isn't going to halt my career in its tracks, believe it or not i was once pretty good at drawing, but the past 3 years of being chained to a computer with ridiculously tight deadlines has left me pretty much unable to relax and draw and I guess as with most things it has escaped me. Ill make sure i cut that out of my reel.

Now i have handed that work in i have a couple of days to focus on making changes, so as of tomorrow morning ill be revisiting the pieces that I need to change and making all the changes listed over the topic. Gotta crunch those polycounts right down!

Hey there,

I liked your Golf cart most, it had the most individual style out of the pieces in your portfolio. It'd be really good to see more of these pieces as they are the type of pieces that allow you to show what your imagination is capable of rather than what your attention to detail is capable of replicating.

Theres a lot of replication skills required, but after a while you are going to get hungry for more invention in your diet so its good to be working toward that early on so you could perhaps start somewhere that pushes invention more than replication.

I expect the course you took pushed you towards the choices you made though? Aiming for what is more commonly done isn't a bad strategy for a course to teach, but its good to show you can do less commonly done styles also. I know that when I look at someones work, I want to see what is theirs, not what is the worlds, I look for individual style and invention.

An ability to replicate real world forms is a great skill; being able to apply them to invented structures is the highest ideal though.... well for some of us I suppose :)

Like everyones mentioned, you ought to drop the 2d stuff, it's not your strength and you are only as strong as the weakest piece in your portfolio. Don't worry about it though, no one cares when you are an environment guy, not often a priority for a character guy or level designer either really, its generally just about the assets you can make in 2d/3d apps in the games industry.

Its cool if you can do 2d too, like an extra fancy spoon being given alongside your expresso... sure, we'll use it, but we care about the coffee.

Also, polycounts are high everywhere, this ought to be sorted out ASAP, especially if you have 12k versions of that building for instance. Experience is partly just code for demonstrating that we are aware of the cost of things, everything you build costs the engine rendering time, lower polycounts and inventive reuse of textures demonstrates an awareness of this.

It's a strong portfolio for a college guy and you have a great attitude which will take you as far as the quality of the work if you can keep it :)

I finished off a little high poly thing ive been working on, took about 2 hours, something nice and simple to fill up abit of spare texture space in the golf cart scene. Ill be baking out/texturing it shortly. Updates will follow!

Untitled-1.jpg
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All low poly'ed up, will begin texturing shortly.

lowpoly.jpg
    Was considering putting it underneath the golf cart, perhaps lifting the front up to remove one of the wheels..
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good evening/morning/afternoon everyone,

Ive finished the car jack and put it together with the golf cart. Ive fixed some problems with the golf cart that where mentioned in previous posts. These include removing non essential polygons around the headlights, 3 loops to be exact. Ive reduced the polycount on the golf bag, lowered the texture res aswell.

UPDATED.jpg
    progress-copy.jpg

I feel pretty happy to have had the opportunity to model a car jack, ive been thinking of making one for a while and I took the opportunity to put one together. phew, that itch is gone.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Amazing folio, you shouldn't have a problem find a job! :) congratulations.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome stuff all around. And great job putting that reel together, really showcases your work well. It would be nice to get more of a fly through of the Tomb Raider environment you put together, instead of just zooming out. It can be just a small pan across the scene.

Great work and good luck on the job front.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya Folks, Thanks for taking a look at my work and for the kind words!

@HP I hope so! Crytek have long time been a dream of mine, howre things going over there? I managed to play Crysis 2 at Eurogamer late last year, was really impressive, looked stunning!

@Paul - Cheers dude, alot of blood sweat and tears went into everything. The long story involving why there isn't a fly-through involves me finishing the scene ready to be rendered and splitting the scene into its various passes and going to bed at around 5am. The next day i woke up and began to set each pass off. Suddenly, the harddrive that the files where on failed, and i lost the previous nights work (lukily i had backed everything up). So wanting to resurrect my hdd, i brought a new harddrive enclosure and put the harddrive together in hopes of salvaging it. I plugged it into my laptop and then BANG, the laptop has also broken. This left with me only my main rendering Rig, so and the deadline was 4 days later. Jist of it, there wasnt enough time to render out the passes that i wanted to and i just decided to render out a huge 4k shot, and do a simple camera projection in after effect. Yes its dirty, yes its cheap, but i got the work handed in on time and thats all that mattered. Once ive fixed the critique that ive had on this thread, ill sort out rendering a full camera move, ill have my repaired laptop by then so rendering the whole thing out shouldnt be too much of a pain.
    Sorry for the rant, just thought i would justify the lack of camera move. Thanks for taking a look at my stuff, i agree with you 100%.

Tonight ive been updating my website, adding some new information. Im alot happier with it, any thoughts?
    Scott-Homer-%E2%80%93-3d-Environment-Artist-Portfolio.png

(also i apologise to anyone experiencing any problems navigating tonight, i was swapping things around and changing some of the code.
    Cheers for the kind words and messages.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Love it all. Just a quickie - do you really need a 2k texture on that golf cart? I bet a 1024 could do that. In fact, I reckon you could pack the exterior onto a 512, get the interior onto a 512 or even a 256, and then use a 256 decal sheet for the logos.

We have a lot of vehicles in some of our games so we need to keep the textures small and reuse then when possible, and let the shaders do the bulk of the work.

Your bins, fire escapes and chimney vents are too clean. Add some wires to the building - electrical and TV.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya Rick, you were right, the textures where necessarily large, in actuality, i shrank the whole texture down to 1024 and it looked exactly the same, i put a little sharpen filter on top to bring out the details. Ive also taken out some of the loops that were unnecessary, to fully optimise it. The Golf Cart itself is around 10,500 polys now, shaving a 1,500 polygons away by removing details from hidden areas.

Thanks for the advice Rick, ill get to fixing the building right away.
    polycount-01.jpg
    polycount-02.jpg
    polycount-03.jpg

golfcartwire.jpg
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cobblestexture1.jpg
    slabs1.jpg
    scifitile1.jpg
    A little something something i'm putting together, ill be releasing for free once i'm done with creating about 10 of them.

any thoughts?
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eykVt.jpg

I managed to cut down the building by a wopping 20,000 polygons. Phew, I think I managed to achieve it without losing any details too. I also dirtied bits up, as per crits.

Onto my next crit to fix!
    Wires, cracks and stuff i think. ive deleted a couple of little bits, so i have managed to free up some texture space!
  • benmerrick3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benmerrick3d polycounter lvl 12
    Looking great as ever Scott. Ive joined the site now too lol
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Loving the work, only crit I have is that your other models have wireframes not the humvee. You should post the humvee wires. Inspirational stuff you have there! :)
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Really nice portfolio :)
  • nalwayv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice portfolio, some great work on display also would love to see a wireframe of the humvee.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya guys! sorry about not getting back to you, I completely didn't realise I had any replies, I wasn't being intentionally ignorant!

@Ben (S_purs) - Heya buddy, its about time you got on here, join the media revolution!

@aajohnny - Thanks for taking a look at my website/work, ill get some wireframes asap, im currently working on a lower poly version of the humvee (addressing crits from previous posters). Cheers for your kind words, i appreciate it :)

@ImyJ - Cheers man! The fact you work at Crytek makes me infinately jealous. thanks for taking a look, good luck with Crysis 2, ive played it, and boy its good.

@Nalwayv - Thanks dude, ill get those wireframes as soon as.

Right, Ive taken a break from addressing crits, and continued to work on some other stuff helping out people with their final major projects at Uni. I am creating several weapons for a trailer being created by one of my housemates, so here is the first. Still WIP, it all opens up and everything is pretty much accurately modelled, with a couple of little personal touches. About 18 hours work. Ill be creating a low poly version and texturing it very soon, i may even drop it into a games engine if I get time.

m79-highpoly.jpg
    Any Crits would be appreciated!
  • scotthomer
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work homie :D

Since it's kinda late here and i am nearly fainting from the lack of sleep, i might have seen wrong... but there seams to be a smoothing error here.

errorle.jpg[/URL]
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh lord, you where right about the smoothing and it caused me no end of problems fixing it, however after about 4 tries at re-toplogising the same mesh I sorted out the problem, and ill get the high poly renders up as soon as possible.

I low polied, baked and textured the gun over the weekend (I wasnt happy with it until recently so I didn't put it up out of shame). Its not finished yet, I wanted to add a couple of details so you guys are more than welcome to add any inputs you can, it would be most appreciated.

grenadelauncherWIP.jpg

Im struggling to decide which camo looks best on the barrel, i figured you guys would be able to decide which one looks the best, so i thought id leave the choice to you guys!

grenadelauncherCAMO.jpg

Cheers, Scott
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Wow keep up the amazing work, quite inspiring :)
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work, mate..

As for the M79, I think you have gone way over board on the grunge. There is not real material definition on the wood apart from the colour. I would probably also lose the camo on the barrel, because right now it pretty much drowns in high frequency detail.
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good scott! Great modeling going on in dis place. I 100% agree with bbob though. The M79 texture does not do it justice and looks quite rushed. Too much noise and grunge, with very little material definition.

If you do keep the camo design, I like the urban one best :)
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Id have to agree with you, the wood grain in the handle could do with some exaggeration, shouldnt be too difficult as the woodgrain is there in the texture, increasing the texture should do the trick. I also agree that the barrel is too scratched up, I think perhaps it would look better if there was less scratching in the middle of the barrel and more towards to 2 ends. Ill get to changing the textures asap (should be posting updates tonight).

+ Tdub I love the urban one too, so i think ill be keeping it.
    Thanks for the insight guys, you've really picked up on something i hated!
    Ill post wires later.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work man. Definitely inspires me to get my ass in gear.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whatchu talking about willis?
    Your work is looking awesome, some great highpoly stuff on your site Sean.
    :D
  • imperator_dk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    The statues in the tomb raider piece really should be baked sculpts and much lower polycount.