Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Diet Coke

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
DietCoke polycounter lvl 7
Hey polycount!
I have been lurking here for a few months, and finally decided I should post stuff.

This is basically my first character model, and after watching some tutorial videos and doing some reading I thought "all right! I'm ready to do this!"
After several hours, however, it's not going very well.

I'm trying to do an update on Gum from Jet Set Radio. Everything has been difficult so far! Any advice whatsoever is greatly appreciated!

EI02k.jpg

lngyy.jpg

30XyQ.jpg

0QVdN.jpg
The boobs gave me a lot of trouble

iiPlF.jpg
The face is a bit of disaster. Definitely needs a ton of work, if not an outright do-over.

ZzYRO.jpg

AxKLm.jpg
Nothing going on under here. I'm not sure how to approach this area.

bpLY6.jpg
I have softened the edge of most of the normals, but I'm entirely sure what that actually does. Are there any hidden dangers with this?

Anyway, I hope someone sees this!

Replies

• DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4ycZ7.jpg
    I decided not to do skates, because this is just for fun and I don't really like the ginormous Jet Set Raadio style of skates.

hDMJs.jpg
    I also decided to shorten up the dress/skirt thing into a long shirt. That way you can see her butt better!:)

bdOhQ.jpg

uxYlh.jpg

bH9mo.jpg
    3c9jd.jpg
    Her face is getting closer and closer to what I want, but the geometry is all messed up. I keep thinking that I SHOULD start over, but I'm worried won't get back to where I have it now. Which is stupid.

Right now it's sitting at 10152 triangles.
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Based on your last picture of the face, I'd suggest you use a program named Topogun to retopologize it, without loosing the form that you've achieved so far.
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks so much for the advice! I've never heard of that program, I will definitely check it out. It sounds extremely useful.

In the meantime, I have actually redone the mouth, and here it is:
    kP6zi.jpg

This is the only image that will upload at this time for some reason, so that is all I will be uploading...
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I have the UV mapping done, but I'm not sure. I don't know how straight and uniform the checkers need to be to translate into good "painting" ability. I'm planning on painting textures on in Zbrush, though I don't know if there is some better way.

r6g6P.jpg
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    DIET COKE IS A SODA, IT CANNOT ART, SILLY

but seriously, I dig Jet Grind/Jet set.
    So far this looks pretty cool.
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @HonkyPunch - Thanks man! That was almost a full month ago, so belated thanks.

I've been slowly working on the shoes lately, and they are pretty much finished. I did polypainting in Zbrush for the texture, and some pretty mild sculpting on the eyelets and stuff. I actually think they almost look worse in Maya with the normal maps, so... Hmmm. Also, my UV mapping is not great. But for first time UV mapping, I'm actually really psyched that it looks as good as it does!
    BSBsf.jpg
    In Zbrush.
    Iwn1W.jpg
    In Maya.
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a random update. Derp.

cpC0e.jpg
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flare gun:

8uqb6.jpg

Winchester 1895 with a wacky scope:

3nLRC.jpg

Said scope:

sl2El.jpg

Webley-ish revolver:

8K7lX.jpg

Some art that a friend did that I'm modeling a character from (I hacked a few pictures together in photoshop, which is why there are weird errors all over):

jDtbx.jpg

My initial progress on that character:

Nslk7.jpg

Current state of that that character:

ZvCmv.jpg
    kK9DS.jpg
    LGrhH.jpg
    jK0mY.jpg
    7XoVb.jpg
    qALEi.jpg

8bAKO.jpg

The proportions are wonky

IWtUm.jpg
    Via3K.jpg
    JlZVf.jpg
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A random bear I made one day:

kVocu.jpg
    RxkQ4.jpg
    tbGhq.jpg

This knight guy that I made a while ago and then stopped working on. I think he's a little over 8000 triangles. This was also my first attempt at texturing something in photoshop! That was part of the reason I stopped working on it:

GPpAW.jpg
    jtoTU.jpg
    25x4o.jpg
    p0Smc.jpg
    OQ2m4.jpg
    K7VxA.jpg
    FXLQg.jpg
    h141H.jpg

And the current state of that Gum model I was working on oh so long ago. I will probably never finish that...

pL8hU.jpg
    8vYOM.jpg
    8I8oj.jpg
    OjvJG.jpg
  • premium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    premium polycounter lvl 13
    Quite good looking characters you got, but when they come to wireframes they look like wasted polgions in some areas.
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Hey there ! you've got some nice improvement there ! One thing i can say, the last female you posted might have some anatomical problems around her waist (exept if it's on purpose, then my comment doesn't count)

you might want to work a little too on the topology of you faces :) Whilst the result is satifying, it is still a little too messy and could be problematic if you decide to rig it and animate it :)

PS : oh and you might want to add some gradient between your light and shadow on the texture, i think the result could be awesome !
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much you guys! It's kind of scary putting stuff up on here for some reason, so it is nice to hear some encouraging words!

@ premium, I'm always looking at areas and thinking "I could probably cut this area way down," but I'm pretty new at this so I never know if I NEED to or not, so it is good to hear from someone else that I should. Thanks!

@ Scythe, you are not the first person to comment on her waist! I was going for the "super wide hips, big thighs" kind of look with her, but I think I sort of failed. She mostly just looks freakish. Also, faces kill me man. I spend sooo long on those damn faces! But yes, they are quite messy. I have yet to learn rigging, but I certainly plan on it at some point, and these guys will all need some work, eh?
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Hey ;) I did a ll paintover on your char, maybe it could help you, i just corrected the areas that are bugging me a little. even though it's based on my own taste of wimenz, i hope it can help you :)

ojvjg.jpg
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude definitely. I will maintain slightly more ass than that, but otherwise I like your version a lot more. Thanks man!
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to learn how to use Zspheres FOR REAL THIS TIME. Every time I've messed around with them in the past, I quickly got frustrated with the sort of odd interface. But this time I stuck with it for more than 5 minutes.

Original mesh:

Kvfhv.jpg
    k9KsC.jpg

After a bit of sculpting:

wsbSU.jpg

Finished (at 5AM, bah):

t1gTo.jpg
    I7zRD.jpg
    Xc6Tk.jpg
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Your creature's looking pretty good, but he might need more of a tail to balance the rest of his body. His legs also look like the need adjusting. There's weird twisting in the joints and actual bony structures that, might give it a cool shape, but would be painful to actually walk like. He's more bowlegged and his feet come in towards his body. You could even out the different angles you've got going on and still make it look great.

The skin/hide is nice and even, but I'm wondering what else you could do with the color to make it more interesting. The color palette is boring right now so maybe you can do something to spice it up.

Keep it up!
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At first I thought "pssht, he doesn't know what he's talking about!" But then I looked at him some more and I can see that you're totally right. His knee-to-ankle-to-foot configuration is totally awkward and would make him hobble around like an old man. Thanks for pointing that out, cause I was totally going to make the same mistake on the character I'm working on right now (another lizard-ish thing).

About the skin texture, I definitely agree that he's bland, but I didn't really have an artistic vision for this guy when I started him... and... uh... I don't really know how that relates to his being bland. Anyway, thanks a lot for the comments!
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I posted this in in the "pimping and previews" thread already, but I'm just going to dump a ton of images from this project in here:

Current state (~14k triangles):

PhMom.jpg

Initial zbrush work:

4G2W9.jpg

Early zbrush body initially made from zspheres:

ePcxK.jpg

808a8.jpg

KjnNL.jpg

sLkHi.jpg

Gun design:

TR3zE.jpg
    jwhnS.jpg
    CNQCf.jpg
    Wd65O.jpg

Completely shitty low poly gun. I made the low poly and mapped it in a total of like 90 minutes. It is full of errors, but that is ok since it is just in the holster for the time being!

jBXmI.jpg

Some Viewport 2.0 goodness:

E4VeN.jpg

Some MARMOSET goodness:

2ZEmh.jpg
    gB7tH.jpg
    u2Mqy.jpg
    jx4ca.jpg
  • SaarlemSanders
    I really like the style to your characters, they have a bit of natural personality that makes them stand out. Will you be finishing the bear? I'd be really interested to see what you do with that.
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot man! That is really nice to hear. I do like that bear, and now that I am more competent I would like to do something more with him. Any ideas? :)
  • SaarlemSanders
    There's something about the bear that comes across as friendly and innocent, so I'd play to that. I know that this is a bizarrely specific idea, but for some reason I think of the bear helping an energetic kid who's having a pretend adventure in the woods; I just see the kid running along with a wooden sword and cardboard helmet, while the bear plods behind him, singing on odd bumbling tune. I have no idea where that thought came from, and I'm sure you were asking about clearer ideas, but that's where my brain went with it. I blame Disney.
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some stuff I've made over the last couple months:

A lizard man you may have seen already, as I posted a thread on him in the P&P section:

W8ty1.jpg
    k1slj.jpg
    aTrGW.jpg
    wXdvz.jpg

And I'm currently working on a redesign of Kurt Hectic from the MDK series, which I also made a 'wip' thread for:

NZBa4.jpg
    GiJ0g.jpg
    UA1ND.jpg
    7CTmC.jpg
    i0q2k.jpg
    P8qtm.jpg
    4vamo.jpg
    hwJvp.jpg

In other news, I got a job at Best Buy, which is bumming me out. I definitely hoped I would be doing some entry level game industry job at this point! Alas, student loans need to be repaid, and I am broke.
  • Oranghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    levelin up great job loved that lizard :D GOOGOGO
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some stuff I've been working on since last time:

A bison man! I'm currently messing around with fur shells to make him all shaggy.
    First the Zbrush stuff:
    moDqh.jpg

Here's the LP. He's somewhere around 9500 I think.
    dWUfN.jpg
    n3wRQ.jpg

Then I made this little robot for the 3D Motive contest:
    heCtF.jpg
    utUtR.jpg

And some random Zbrush stuff made with polymeshes:
    cGaz3.jpg
    OrHsy.jpg
    FKQOh.jpg
    ONhqi.jpg
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, mind sharing flats and the render settings for that head in your last post?
    I assume it's marmoset, and you manage to render out the skin in a good way!<
    Overall cool stuff! Keep it comin :)
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks man!
    You are correct, it is Marmoset, and that face picture has the stock "polaroid" preset on it.
    It's total amateur over here, but I will post the texture anyway! And my material settings in Marmoset.

1tiWe.jpg

8IyMF.jpg
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah shit, didnt even know about that skinenvironment! How did I miss that lol.
    Thanks for sharing this!:)
  • Cybersam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybersam polycounter lvl 8
    This stuff is looking great at the moment so keep it up!
    You should put all this stuff into a showreel and have some beauty and wire turnarounds of your character. BUT (dw, it's a good but ;) ). Before you do all this, may I suggest you add some more detail and colour to some of your original characters? Their style looks great but they're kind of empty of detail. Maybe a few stickers/patches on jackets oooor some leathery scratch wear and tear (but make sure you incoporate your own visual style into it otherwise there will be a conflict between your style and realism :@).

In short, but some more detail on what you have already and you have yourself there a showreel. Seriously jealous of your work so keep it up :)!
  • Cybersam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybersam polycounter lvl 8
    OH also. Try doing one piece that is anatomically correct. Rebecca Wright once said "to break the rules, you have to learn them first". If you can demonstrate that you understand the human body SO MUCH that you can start messing with proportions while making it look real, that will go sooo far for an employer. Especially in the Character department. Btw, Rebecca Wright's a typographist - i.e. she works with fonts and using the perfect ones for the perfect times AND she likes to say f**k off Comic sans.
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Callesw: haha, yeah it was just Marmoset being awesome all along :)

@Cybersam: Thanks so much man! And thanks for the advice! I've definitely been trying to beef up on my anatomical knowledge lately. Do you know this guy Ryan Kingslien? He is a 3d sculptor/anatomy guru who is always stressing the importance of REALLY KNOWING where all the bones and muscles go.
    His youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/rkingslien?feature=CAQQwRs%3D
    Thanks again!