Home Technical Talk

ZBrush: Project all Issue

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Stinger88 polycounter
I'm having trouble projecting detail from a subtool I created from Zspheres to a subtool I created using the topology tool.

I encountered this problem in ZB3.1 but havent seen it since. At the time the problem was occuring due to holes in the mesh (I think). There are no holes in either of these meshes.

I could easily resculpt the new mesh but i'd rather fix the problem so I can understand where I have gone wrong.

Thanks for any help. Maybe i'm just having a brain fart.

projprob.jpg

Replies

• Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Have you messed around with the project all settings? I usually lower the Mean to fix this kind of stuff, I also often bulge the target mesh out so that it is always larger than the reference mesh.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Thanks Bal: Yeah. I've played with the settings a bit and I inflated the target mesh.

If I lower the mean I get a slightly better result between the fingers but the finger tips are still inverted. Could this be something to do with the normals created by the ZSphere mesh?

I also tried projecting from the lowerest sub division and increasing it gradually as that has helped in the past. I still get the same issue though
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Ahh...Fixed it.

The re-topology mesh I created in ZB, the normals were reverse. So exported to maya and flipped the normals. Projection works fine now.

Is there a way to flip normals in ZB?
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Well, I thought ZB didn't draw backfaces, so flipped normals should be instantly visible, in which case you can do Flip, which is in the Display Properties tab of the Tool menu.
  • vladimus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you still have any problems with spikes in the mesh, try saving a morph target before projecting. Then switch back to the unprojected mesh in the morph target menu and paint back in the projection with the morph brush.
  • Organnah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, it seems clearly a normals orientation problem. I encountered the same bug recently. My retopology normals were flipped, but it was enough to flip them within Zbrush - and all worked fine.