Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Seven-Way Scuffle

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
A few people were somewhat frustrated with the handling of the Unofficial Character Mini-Challenge, so we've decided to take the idea and run with it in another direction. We're putting a bit more emphasis on letting the participants choose the theme and scope of the challenge for this thing.

So, daphz, DKK, JMYoung, Makkon, ScoobyDoofus, Zwebbie and myself will be creating characters in a common theme using a brief and specs we've all agreed on. I've opened this thread so that we won't have to send out multiple PMs just to discuss things, and so that other people can provide feedback and suggestions.

Alright, bishes. Rules and regs. If you guys feel there need to be changes, just tell me.

Brief
Create a post-apocalyptic human-animal hybrid hero or boss character.
Make it as awesome as possible.

Specs
- 20,000 triangles. All characters, weapons, mounts and effects such as flashy magic crap or bullet tracers must be, total, 20,000 triangles or less. This is a big number, but it doesn't mean you have to meet it; using less is always fine.

- 1 2048x2048 material. Any and all textures are allowed as long as you'd see them in a current-gen game on a character. Basically, if it isn't displacement, it's probably okay. Breaking up texture space is A-OK. For example, using a 2048x1024 for the main character, a 1024x1024 for his weapon and a 1024x1024 for his mount is fine.

- For the final image, any and all realtime effects are allowed as long as they would work in a modern game engine (UDK, Crysis, etc.)

- Your character MUST BE POSED for your final images, but how you do it is up to you. Rig it, pull verts around, whatever.

- Pedestals are optional and have no texture, shader or polygon count limits.

Deliverables

- A final beauty shot larger than or equal to 1024x768 using the above restrictions.

- A construction shot larger than or equal to 1024x768 showing how your character was made. This can (and should) have wireframes, textures and multiple views.

Restrictions

- Mounts of any kind are allowed and encouraged. Mounts' polycounts and texture budgets cut into the overall budget.

- Characters should be part human and part animal. The ratio of human to animal is up to you, but it'd be nice if we could tell what animal it was you're trying to mix with your human.

- Gore and nudity? Yes.

Soft Deadline

March 7th, 2011

If you don't finish your character by that date, we won't think any less of you. Well, actually we will, but we won't tell you to your face.

Replies

• Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I gotta get in on one of these cute little inter-polycount challenges.... been too long since I actually finished something that that wasn't work related.

Lookin forward to seeing how this goes... cheers dudes
  • BTolputt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking forward to this one (might even give the chosen theme a spin myself). Was personally disappointed in the choice of the Games Workshop genres myself as I liked the idea of ShadowRun, so this is of more interest to me full stop :)
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    YUS!
    All of these ideas sound great!

Perhaps another idea to throw into the bundle, we could make original characters for a fighting game like Soul Caliber, Street Fighter, or even Super Smash Bros.

And I am fond of interpreting characters from competitors sketchbooks.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I dont have much of a sketchbook to speak of, so that'd be tough. Tho if I did, I dunno if anybody would be wanting to make a character of my design.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    As an onlooker, I'd be really interested in seeing you guys do interpretations of each other's characters,
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Here are some of the ideas on the table so far:
    - Post-apocalyptic/post-nuclear war fantasy; burly mutated people as orcs, purebred humans with body mods as elves, etc.
    - Flash Gordon-type retro sci-fi themed characters
    - Individual reinterpretation of the same character (character yet to be determined)
    - Highlanders/Immortal swordsmen
    - Kung Fu masters
    - Two person teams. Killer/Detective pairs. One person makes A Hannibal Lecter type the other makes the Clarice Starling. Original characters encouraged. Possible third members to build environments.
    - Guns and Gals
    - 50s noire characters
    - Zombocalypse survivors
    - Our own L4D2 special infected
    - Stalker-type characters.
    - Rifts characters
    - Dieselpunk fantasy
    - Religious people (monks, medicine men, etc.)
    - Interpretation of characters from each other's sketchbooks
    - Shadow of the Colossus-type colossi, possibly in different styles

This but anachronistic like Samurai Champloo's characters or that one Chemical Brothers video.

X2B6VI0H.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have much of a sketchbook either, Scooby, so I'm right there with you. I'm rather partial to the idea of reinterpreting existing characters or making ones that would fit into an existing game or something. Redesigning Gordon Freeman or Samus Aran could be pretty fun, for instance.

I also like the idea of doing some sort of religious person like a monk. There's a ton of historical stuff to draw on for that sort of thing.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86, I really like the idea of doing something anachronistic.

What if we combined things? Anachronistic fighting game characters. Samurai with machine guns, cyborg warriors with warhammers, that sort of thing?
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I am this Zwebbie person Swizzle speaks of!

I agree that the sketchbook idea is probably problematic. Whoever gets to pick something from Makkon's sketchbook wins then and there.

Here be list. Remember that I'm willing to go for anything as long as it's not bloody Warcraft, it's just advice.

- Retro sci-fi is based on cleanliness and stock characters, so I don't think it allows for a whole lot of creativity.
    - Killer/detective sounds neat, but I don't think complicating things is a good idea. Plus, 7 can't be divided by two.
    - Zombies have been done a million times before, and we already had such a competition on Polycount.
    - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. doesn't allow for more than a gas-masked guy, so I don't think that's enough diversity for 7 people.

On the plus side:
    + Same character is still one I like a lot, if we can find a good character. (We can also do this with a real life person who wouldn't ever end up in a game. What would a JRPG or gritty shooter version of Nietzsche look like? Climb his Shadow of the Colossal moustache, etc.)
    + Colossi are neat.
    + '50s Film Noir is, again, a theme where I think you don't have a great variety of characters, but I think it'd be cool to have a competition where you're be restricted to greyscale.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    All doing the same character would be cool, but I feel like agreeing on one would be pretty tough; and I also don't have much of a sketchbook.
    I'm digging that anachronism idea too! and the religious theme too, maybe we could step it up and do a deity of some sort? and apply an anachronism to it somehow...(oh oh, maybe pairs of gods? their opposites or something...)
    As for the noir theme, perhaps some-kind of cops and robbers theme?
    anyhoo, I'm down for anything :)
  • Skibur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skibur polycounter lvl 5
    I think characters inspired by the Oddworld universe would be cool and would allow for heaps of unique designs.

(Abe's Oddysee/Abe's Exodus etc)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like that harpy image, DKK. It reminds me of the people with animal heads from the Dark Tower series.

Hybrid human/animals like sphinxes and such could be pretty fun.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    I likes the hybrids, and post apoc is always in style. Putting our own spin on it would be fun, instead of your standard mutants and mohawks
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    To be honest, I'd probably just end up doing a lizard man :P
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon wrote: »

And just what the hell is wrong with lizard men? I likes me some lizard men.

Seriously, though, post-apocalyptic animal-human hybrids. Do you guys like this theme? I like this theme. It's simple, to the point, and it also leaves a ton of room for creativity.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I'm down with that!
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Makkon wrote: »

Isn't there another thread with a Warhammer competition? Warhammer has lizardmen galore.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Their lizardmen are big pussies.

Ours have big teeth, talons like razors and a suave demeanor that all the ladies love.

They also have giant penises.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was under the impression that went along with the giant penises.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    Seriously, though, post-apocalyptic animal-human hybrids. Do you guys like this theme? I like this theme. It's simple, to the point, and it also leaves a ton of room for creativity.
    I'm down like a clown charlie brown... in town, wearing a frown.

*i'm totally going with a lion-dude
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Is it settled, or do we want to brainstorm some more?
    I want to get to concepting soon. Still don't have my new rig, but I hope to be able to do a fair amount of concept artwork fleshed out before I get the new computer. Then I can jump right on (cept zbrush will be a beast)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would seem that at least four of us are cool with the theme. I'll edit the first post once I've actually had a chance to sleep. Do the specs from the community challenge sound good to you guys?
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Coolios.

DKK:
    The Rifts idea was a bit of a joke because it is somewhat of a Shadowrun clone and I was being cheeky lol.

Funny thing is the setting for Rifts is actually completely in sync with all the ideas you guys had.
    Largely because its so awesomely open ended and over the top. :poly108:

This is actually a good summary:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7893732

They has mutant pet peeps as well. :bear:

I think I might do a huge half man/half bear tribal something something....
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I dig the following:

- Post-apocalyptic/post-nuclear war fantasy; burly mutated people as orcs, purebred humans with body mods as elves, etc.
    - Kung Fu masters
    - Dieselpunk fantasy
    - Religious people (monks, medicine men, etc.)
    - Post apocalyptic animal-human hybrids
    - Also, atompunk sounds cool as well.

So yeah, if you guys want to go with the hybrid thing, I think that would be an interesting challenge. I'm down.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regardless of which theme is the ultimate choice...what are the thoughts on having another person do our concept? I'm not nearly the concept artist that Makkon is (not many of us are) and I now know all these great guys at work... :D
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure that using concept art from other people is such a great idea. I kinda feel like it'd give a bit of an unfair advantage to the people who have access to concept artist co-workers of friends. Considering I have neither, I may start whining like a little bitch.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with swizzle, I want this one to be all me! and I need to practice mah conceptin skillz
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, bishes. Rules and regs. I'm putting this in the first post. If you guys feel there need to be changes, just tell me.

Brief
    Create a post-apocalyptic human-animal hybrid hero or boss character.
    Make it as awesome as possible.

Specs
    - 20,000 triangles. All characters, weapons, mounts and effects such as flashy magic crap or bullet tracers must be, total, 20,000 triangles or less. This is a big number, but it doesn't mean you have to meet it; using less is always fine.

- 1 2048x2048 material. Any and all textures are allowed as long as you'd see them in a current-gen game on a character. Basically, if it isn't displacement, it's probably okay. Breaking up texture space is A-OK. For example, using a 2048x1024 for the main character, a 1024x1024 for his weapon and a 1024x1024 for his mount is fine.

- For the final image, any and all realtime effects are allowed as long as they would work in a modern game engine (UDK, Crysis, etc.)

- Your character MUST BE POSED for your final images, but how you do it is up to you. Rig it, pull verts around, whatever.

- Pedestals are optional and have no texture, shader or polygon count limits.

Deliverables

- A final beauty shot larger than or equal to 1024x768 using the above restrictions.

- A construction shot larger than or equal to 1024x768 showing how your character was made. This can (and should) have wireframes, textures and multiple views.

Restrictions

- Mounts of any kind are allowed and encouraged. Mounts' polycounts and texture budgets cut into the overall budget.

- Characters should be part human and part animal. The ratio of human to animal is up to you, but it'd be nice if we could tell what animal it was you're trying to mix with your human.

- Gore and nudity? Yes.

Soft Deadline

March 7th, 2011

If you don't finish your character by that date, we won't think any less of you. Well, actually we will, but we won't tell you to your face.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scooby: I'd say this is the ultimate chance to improve your concepting skills and have Makkon help you do it. But Swizzle acting like a little bitch sounds fun too...

-

Here's my first idea so you don't claim it before I do:
    Half man, half lobster, who is, ironically, a post apocalyptic chef cook. His secret ingredient is sweet, sweet revenge.
  • BrendtheCow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrendtheCow polycounter lvl 8
    liek! Gonna be a fun few months for me between this thread, the other civil war thread, and the Sze Jones CGWorkshop coming up later this month :D 2011 is kicking off to an epic start XD:poly124::thumbup:
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    His secret ingredient is sweet, sweet revenge.

Hahaha! Awesome.

I'm thinking of doing either a bird guy or a salamander dude. I'm not sure which yet. I have to do more research.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, let's get this shit moving. How about warming up with some studies, eh?

wGHPn.jpg
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Vulture man! Yes!

Decided to explore some puma-people first before I try the lizardman concept (I got a million of those anyway).
    sketch2011_024.jpg
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    I'm totally down for doing this. I'll try to put something together in my free time. Let's do this!
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Cool beans, bro!

sketch2011_025.jpg
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    makkon, you got some serious drawin skillz!

note to self, draw more >_<
    I'm going for a post apocalyptic Liberian rebel lion hero character

moodz_ref.png

front.png
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • HappyFool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HappyFool polycounter lvl 10
    I'm also down with the theme. Good for practicing my modeling skills on humans and animals at the same time :) I think i'm gonna go with Crocodile Man :D I'll be posting some ref soon :)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been werkin' so havent spent any time on this yet, but I did think a little about what Im gonna do last night. We'll see if I can nail something down this weekend and get to sketching.

Sorry HappyFool, this is only for us, not for you. Jeez, why dont you go pick your own theme? I am of course kidding. Who would do that? That would be a total dick move right.....? :P Love you Jesse!
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    I've been werkin' so havent spent any time on this yet, but I did think a little about what Im gonna do last night. We'll see if I can nail something down this weekend and get to sketching.

Sorry HappyFool, this is only for us, not for you. Jeez, why dont you go pick your own theme? I am of course kidding. Who would do that? That would be a total dick move right.....? :P Love you Jesse!

ouch!
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As I see it, a man-animal hybrid can be freaky, furry or funny.

7Concept1.jpg

I'm going for funny.

-

To all ye fellow competitors: If I were you, I'd play around more with actually combining features, rather than putting an animal head on a human body. It's fun!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    To all ye fellow competitors: If I were you, I'd play around more with actually combining features, rather than putting an animal head on a human body. It's fun!

I'm currently planning on my vulture dude having bird legs and fingers that look more like bird toes than normal human fingers. I just need to actually dig up some good reference images.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    lawl, furries, I'l see if I can find the time to give this a shot
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    makon makes it look so easy! Looking forward to yalls work!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17

Haters are gonna hate...
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I'm getting a lot of compliments in this thread, thank you guys! I really appreciate it :D

Zwebbie: You took the funny one, I think Swiz got the creepy....
    I'll take the furry. Bawhahahahaha.
    Seriously, though, I agree. I want to incorperate proportions and traits, but mine will probably be the most furry of all :/ cause cats the musical was cool and all, but....
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Holy Shitballs! dudes your kickin ass!

Makkon: That lizardman is epic I like where your going with that!
    Malus: Dude if you dont do something here your off my xmas card list!! whats that sound ?... thats the sound of your drawing arm busting out of that concrete case it has been in for the last few years! ohhhhh shits gettin real!!
    Swizzle: badass man!
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Sketchy sketch exploring the idea of going more insect-ish. I was thinking her right arm would be cybernetic as it was violently removed. Think albinos in africa having their limbs eaten. Will probably explore other ideas but this seemed cool.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Thanks, Hazardous! :)

Trouble is, I don't know if I'm feeling the lizard man this round. I'm leaning more toward the escaped puma-lady experiment, or the puma cyborg soldier.
    Thoughts?

sketch2011_026.jpg
    sketch2011_027.jpg
    sketch2011_028.jpg
    sketch2011_029.jpg
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Hazardous wrote: »
    ...Malus: Dude if you dont do something here your off my xmas card list!! whats that sound ?... thats the sound of your drawing arm busting out of that concrete case it has been in for the last few years! ohhhhh shits gettin real!!...

That sound isn't my drawing arm.....fap fap fap... o_0

But yeah, I'll have to start something this weekend.
    Just have to blow the cobwebs off of my girly soft manager hands. lol :)

Out of curiosity gents apart from apocalyptic do we have any boundaries on setting?
    Anyone mind if I fuse fantasy and tech?