Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Civil War] Seven vs. Empty vs. Low Odor vs. ?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
low odor polycounter lvl 17
The Brief: Greek Mythology (Heros, Gods, Monsters, Titans..etc)
....ok no one elses name will fit in the title...so if you want to join in just join in..and post your stuff

The Specs
The members will create a final image showing their character using these budgets:
-20,000 Triangles (This includes character, weapons, gear, mounts, FX, etc.)

-1 2048x2048 Material (Any and All texture types: Normal, Diffuse, Spec, Gloss, Glow, SSS, etc.)

-For the final image, anything capable in realtime rendering is allowed, this means
anything like custom materials and post processing FX are permitted as long as it acceptable by today’s standards in the games industry.

-Character models must be posed and can be posed via any method the artist chooses (game rig, adjusting the actual model, transpose master, etc.)

-Pedestals are optional and have no limit.

-Well documented work in progress shots are greatly encouraged, a true gentleman shows his work.

The Deliverables
Multiple images are encouraged to show the creation of the character and multiple angles of the final model, but these images are required:

-A final “beauty” image showing the posed character

-A construction image showing the wireframe and texture sheets of the hero character

Soft Deadline

March 7th, 2011

p.s. thank you Gav for typing most of this :)

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    woooooo!

i have an epic e-hardon for all things illiad :D
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome idea sounds like a real blast. I think I might need to get in on this.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool..the More the merrier

going to stake my claim here...going to be doing Typhon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhon

going to start some roughs tonight
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'm most likely going for Achilles, or Medusa.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Following this like a hawk!
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Haha - SWEET. Good luck guys, looking forward to what y'all cook up.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I will go for "Telchines" with a big influence from yoskay yamamoto's Fishhead character which is freaking awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telchines

3704077301_79de848434_o.jpg
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Can't wait to see this go down.. get to it gentlemen :)
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    insp.jpg

not a whole lot done..just flushing out my idea. I dig the fact that Zeuss kicked his ass and threw him in a volcano- seems like a cool place to have him bursting forth from...more to come at lunch today
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Sign me the eff up.
    Maybe you guys can kick my ass enough so I actually finish something once. :poly128:
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    so i've decided to go with a gorgon/medusa. it's actually a lot more tricky than i originally thought it would be. firstly, there are different origin stories. Gorgons have existed as:

one gorgon, who looked human but had a pair of snakes wrapped round it's (her?) waist.
    two gorgons, sisters, who were immortal daughters of a sea deity, and later had medusa introduced as a mortal gorgon.
    three gorgons, reprisenting different aspects of a whole, where medusa was their queen.

medusa herself has different origins, and appearances. ranging from being a beautiful woman worthy of athenas envy, to a woman who bedded poseiden in athenas temple, to just being "born" a gorgan.
    in the origins in which she was turned into a gorgon rather than being born one, she either maintains her human beauty but nihilistically turns all that look upon her into stone (ergo, she can never love/be loved due to this curse. she eventually destroys what she loves), or she inherrits gorgonian traits such as serpent hair, a serpentine lower body... or in some stories she has a complete serpentine body.

gorgons themselves have varying images, from simply being huge snakelike creatures, to having human bodies with serpentine hair, wings, serpent lower bodies etc.

the whole thing is a huge mish mash... so i've done a couple of moodboards...

medusa_moodboard_1.jpg
    this moodboard shows a transition from very human + snake accessories to being mostly snake or extreme hybrid. transition from beautiful to horrifying.

medusa_moodboard_2.jpg
    this moodboard just demonstrates general perception of ancient greek women. very "full" rather than overly skinny. very healthy and verile?

medusa_moodboard_3.jpg
    this moodboard is simply a reference for snakes and other reptiles scale styles among other things.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doodle2.jpg

doodle.jpg

just a quick doodle using Arsh's base..when I get the time I am going to do a page of these just to squish some quick ideas together
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    I think I'll be doing a realistic/badass version of Disney's Hades
    Just a few refs
    HadesRefSheet.jpg

For the face I think I'll do a mix of Nosferatu (Max Schreck) and Kurtz (Marlon Brando)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ok so... i need a clarification.

could i use 2x2048* diffuse/normal/spec etc. but have them all use one material?

what i want to do is have medusa being a beautiful woman, but can "change" to having extreme reptilian features through animation. all of which can be done using one material i think?
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not sure if you can use two 2048x2048, as according to the specs you can only use one
    You could break it up into two 2048x1024 textures for the different variations. I was thinking of doing something similar for mine (calm blue to enraged red and armor/clothing variations... something like that for my model)
  • Desert-Island-Designs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Desert-Island-Designs polycounter lvl 7
    Should be a hoot - mind if I join in? Im new around these here parts but Im always up for my favourite subjects of Myths and modeling.

Have fun all
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ah ok, i misunderstood then, i thought it was 2048 material = 2048 of each texture, but 1 material.

seems kinda strange though, having such a huge poly budget but such a small texture budget by comparrison...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    working on the base sculpt right now.
    end product (i'm rubbish at concept art btw) will be human "beautiful" medusa, held up by two giant snakes, wrapped around her legs + waist, she will have shake hair though, which will go from flat, almost passable as human hair, to "erect" when pissed off.
    going to try to cross between two different texture sets to make her go from completely human to reptile hybrid too. but that depends on the outcome of my previous question.

anywho:
    wip1.jpg
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Nice start Gir!

Here´s my uh...moodboard. :poly142:
    fawn2p.jpg
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Gir: the way that description is written it looks like you do have 1 material with as many map channels as you need. So in theory you can have a 2048 diff texture, a 2048 normal etc, but you can't have multiple material definitions. Shooting for low draw calls but having lots of available VRAM.

And really, go nuts. If the idea and topic inspires you then dooo eeert. If you're "disqualified" it will be for trying to pack too much awesome into one model. You still get the folio piece and know how.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    awesome idea guys.. watching this like a hawk.
  • seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    All right... here it is. This is my first concept revision of my version of hades. I want to use Cerberus as his mount. Another concept with a boy and his dog shortly.

hades_sketch_01.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Nice concept seven. Get crackin!
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    looks awesome Seven!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    wip2.jpg

building facial forms
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    wip3.jpg

getting happier with general proportions.

this ass was heavily influenced by the works of Hazardous.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    almighty_gir: I think the body is coming along nicely, but the head needs work. If you're really going for a classical aesthetic - and I very much applaud that! - a bit more reference is needed. Wikimedia's page on Aphrodite is very useful.

Here's a good picture. A couple of things I note: big, round eyes. The brows follow pretty much the exact same shape as the eye lids, a gentle curve. The nose is pretty big, but the nostrils are small. The mouth is very small, but with very cool curves, and the ends are clear indents in the face. Mostly, though, look at how soft it is! I can't tell where the cheek bones start, the whole outline of the face is one perfect curve. Another picture showing how soft the jaw line, from the side (and another).

Here's a paintover I made. It's not very good, but oh well, I think it should illustrate some points.

GirPaintover.jpg

PS - virile means 'masculine'.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Hey hey,

So I'm doing Prometheus and his twin brother Epimethius. Their names mean foresight and hindsight. I didn't really like this concept yesterday but I went ahead and painted it in..now its sort of growing on me. We'll see if it sticks around.

Here wee goes...

Prometheus_Concept.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    almighty_gir: I think the body is coming along nicely, but the head needs work. If you're really going for a classical aesthetic - and I very much applaud that! - a bit more reference is needed. Wikimedia's page on Aphrodite is very useful.

Here's a good picture. A couple of things I note: big, round eyes. The brows follow pretty much the exact same shape as the eye lids, a gentle curve. The nose is pretty big, but the nostrils are small. The mouth is very small, but with very cool curves, and the ends are clear indents in the face. Mostly, though, look at how soft it is! I can't tell where the cheek bones start, the whole outline of the face is one perfect curve. Another picture showing how soft the jaw line, from the side (and another).

Here's a paintover I made. It's not very good, but oh well, I think it should illustrate some points.

GirPaintover.jpg

PS - virile means 'masculine'.

ahhh thanks zwebbie. yeah i thought the use of the word was a little off :P
    and thanks a lot for the paintover. it's always good to see what other artists see when they look at your stuff!

hopefully this is a bit better? i think i need to work on the eyes and lips a bit more, and soften the jawline maybe?
    wip4.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Empty wrote: »
    Hey hey,

So I'm doing Prometheus and his twin brother Epimethius. Their names mean foresight and hindsight. I didn't really like this concept yesterday but I went ahead and painted it in..now its sort of growing on me. We'll see if it sticks around.

Here wee goes...

http://www.emptyworks.com/Misc/Prometheus/Prometheus_Concept.jpg
    Interesting take on the characters. It's a similar sort of setup to the roman god Janus, although I'm not sure there's a direct Greek equivalent of him as there are with a lot of them. Hecate has a similar purpose if not appearance.
    janus.jpg
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    hopefully this is a bit better? i think i need to work on the eyes and lips a bit more, and soften the jawline maybe?
    Yup, it's a great improvement, I think. (And indeed, I'd soften the jaw even more). Don't forget to shape the mouth like a squashed M, that seems to be a typical feature of the old statues, and it's an easy way to add something interesting. Good luck!
  • seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    cerberus and hades.

hades_sketch_02.jpg
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool dude.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pffft..doesnt even look like a dog
  • seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    low odor wrote: »
    pffft..doesnt even look like a dog

lol
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
    almighty_gir: I studied a bit of classical greek art. Some general fun info. Aphrodite of Knidos was considered to be the first classical female statue to be viewed in public ( a lot of men had odd urges after that, and weekly cleaning to an eventual take down of the statue was needed ;) )

After that the Hellenistic period came kicking about and Venus De Milo arose which borrowed conventions of the Aphrodite of Knidos had but heightened it with more expressionism and twisty motion here and there.

I'd take a look at those two statues for inspiration and proportion if you are truly looking for a greek statue esque feel.

hah as for virile perhaps you meant veristic/ verism ? Though the romans practiced more on that then the greeks.

Cheers and best of luck people!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    thanks for the help Allen!

so i've been tearing my hear out trying to tackle clothing, and ended up with this:
    medusa_clothes_ref.jpg

with this as the main ref:
    ThDoricPeplos.jpg
  • almighty_gir
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Tearing your heart out gir? You made it look easy! Looking great! keep up the good work!

Also seven those concepts are jawdroppingly fantastic, very moody, lovin it!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    wip6.jpg

thanks DDuckworth, and no, it's never easy! just working hard on this :)
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hay everyone. some really cool entries getting about here.

Sorry I will have to post up my comments a bit latter I am out of time :(

I finally got around to working on my guy. Just putting the pieces together before I get stuck into sculpting.

wip01l.jpg

Keep up the good work everyone.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    He looks uncomfortable.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    haha, duncan that made my day :) (sexy work as always :3)

gir: cool work on gettin those drapery folds at the bottom of the outfit working, those always bug me out :P

and sweet concept empty ^^

cool work all around, aws to see people gettin into the competition thing :poly142:
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    ducan, you forgot the penis!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    wip7.jpg

started the projection painting, had to polypaint over a load of it due to unwanted shading in the photographs etc... click the image for unrobed version (nsfw).
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good everyone. Thanks for all of the kind words.

@ ZacD: hahahaha I have not ruled it out just yet. There is still plenty of time for fish guy wang.

@ seven: Good to see you man. I dig your concept. No crits yet I am just keen to see some more of your rad art :).

@ Empty: I really dig the concept man. You could work the whole foresight and hindsight thing a bit more, and the tech hand is a bit out of place at the moment but I am sure you will make it work. Great start.

@ Slaught: ahhhrmm updates please :). I am excited to see what you come up with.

@ almighty_gir: The cloth is working out quite well. Any plans for hair?

Anyway here is a little update from me. Just starting to find a direction for him.

wip02g.jpg

Thanks again everyone.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the hair is going to be a second mesh. was planning on having an alpha blend at the edge so it blends onto this head, but essentially it would all be snakes lying down, mimicing the form of hair, which then stand up violently when she transforms into the snake-like medusa.

and dude... i'm totally loving your work :D:D:D
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good guys. I'm going to get started on my base tomorrow. Here is my 2nd take on Prometheus.

PrometheusV2.jpg
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hay Empty That is freaking awesome. Much more cohesive as a concept and just down right sexy. Great job. I am looking forward to your next update.