Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unofficial Character Mini-Challenge and Community Skill-Building Activity

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
There's been a lot of talk in the [Civil War] Spark vs. Gav vs. Hazardous vs. Slipgate thread about doing a community character project, so let's have a crack at it, eh?

So, what is this?
First and foremost, this is NOT A COMPETITION. There will be no registration, no individual threads, no judging, no winners, and no prizes. This is strictly an exercise to get the community involved in something fun and creative while we wait for the next big character challenge (DomWar? A Polycount challenge? Who knows?) to take place.

If you choose to take part in this thing, you should be doing it because you want to learn and improve your skills. It's also helpful if you're doing it because you want to help others. Polycount has a long history of giving hard critiques and tons of helpful advice to people who are looking for it. We want to continue that because it strengthens the community and encourages people to make amazing art.
ATTENTION: RULE CHANGES INCOMING

After some discussion, it's been determined that changing the theme of this thing would be a good idea. Therefore, the rules have been updated to reflect this. There are important changes, so please read up.

Brief

Create a hero or boss character that would fit in the Warhammer Fantasy or Warhammer 40K universes and make it as awesome as possible.

There will be no entry threads, judging, prizes or winners. This is just for fun, but it will be structured like a normal contest.

Again: Do not make your own thread! Keep everything in this one!

Specs

- 20,000 triangles. All characters, weapons, mounts and effects such as flashy magic crap or bullet tracers must be, total, 20,000 triangles or less. This is a big number, but it doesn't mean you have to meet it; using less is always fine.

- 1 2048x2048 material. Any and all textures are allowed as long as you'd see them in a current-gen game on a character. Basically, if it isn't displacement, it's probably okay. Breaking up texture space is A-OK. For example, using a 2048x1024 for the main character, a 1024x1024 for his weapon and a 1024x1024 for his mount is fine.

- For the final image, any and all realtime effects are allowed as long as they would work in a modern game engine (UDK, Crysis, etc.)

- Your character MUST BE POSED for your final images, but how you do it is up to you. Rig it, pull verts around, whatever.

- Pedestals are optional and have no texture, shader or polygon count limits.

- You must post all your WIP shots in this thread. No starting your own thread, no last-minute stuff with finished characters that nobody saw WIP shots from.

Deliverables

- A final beauty shot larger than or equal to 1024x768 using the above restrictions.

- A construction shot larger than or equal to 1024x768 showing how your character was made. This can (and should) have wireframes, textures and multiple views.

Restrictions

- Mounts of any kind are allowed and encouraged. Mounts' polycounts and texture budgets cut into the overall budget.

- Characters must be recognizably from either the Warhammer Fantasy or Warhammer 40K universes, but this does not mean you are required to make a space marine or giant orc dude with a sword. Everybody has seen the Blood Angels and Ultramarines, so give the Eldar, Tau, orcs and orks, elves, dwarfs, tyranids and lizardmen some love, eh?

- Gore and nudity? The more the merrier. Keeping it tasteful would be cool, but not strictly necessary. Actual depictions of screwing should probably be kept to a minimum.

- Post all your work in this thread. Don't start your own thread. We don't want to clutter Pimping and Previews any more than it already is.

Soft Deadline

March 7th, 2011

If you don't finish your character by that date, we won't think any less of you. Well, actually we will, but we won't tell you to your face.

What are the Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40K universes?

...Warhammer [Fantasy] is notable for its "dark and gritty" background world, which features a culture similar in appearance to Renaissance Germany crossed with Tolkien's Middle-earth. Chaos is central to the setting, as the forces of Chaos are attempting unceasingly to tear the mortal world asunder. The world itself is populated with a variety of races such as humans, high elves, dark elves, wood elves, dwarfs, undead, orcs, lizardmen, ogres, and other creatures familiar to many fantasy/role-playing settings.

...Warhammer 40,000's space fantasy setting spans a vast fictional universe. Its various factions and races include the Imperium of Man (a decentralized, yet totalitarian, interstellar regime that, as of the main setting of the game—some 40,000 years from now—has ruled the vast majority of humanity for millennia), the Orks (similar to Warhammer Fantasy Orcs), and the Eldar (similar to Elves in Warhammer Fantasy Battle), among others

Relevant links
Species of 40K
Races and nations of Warhammer Fantasy

PS: Don't start your own thread. Post everything in here.
PPS: Seriously, though, DO NOT START YOUR OWN THREAD. Keep it here, unless you and a couple of other people are doing your own personal challenge completely unrelated to this one.

Replies

• leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    tnx for the thread swizzle
    i'm in ! Now i'll have to decide if i'm going for sexy boobs or giant brute, would try a combination but i don't think those two will match ^^
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hboybowen, those images aren't showing up. You may want to either turn them into links or rehost them with links to the originals.
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
    Best of luck people! I would join, but I've only limited myself to two dimensions :( The woes of a draughtsman.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I am fucking in.

"Joo keel my Fader...Prepare to dieee!"
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    I need to have a character done around that date anyway, so I might theme it around Shadowrun. Not really sure what to do but there isn't much that wouldn't fit the theme. Two birds with one lazy arse stone.

Related to Shadowrun, I made a low poly troll not that long ago.

Anyways, good luck to all. Will be nice seeing some more great work being posted up.
  • Charlie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I'll give this ago. I've been wanting to actually do more 3D stuff after going through a month of learning it everyday and burning out. This should be a good way for me to learn the basics in an interesting way!
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Definitely joining this! YEEHAW!
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    I think I might be in for this. Love me some Shadowrun to death.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I'm definitely in on this. Tons of sweet ref to choose from. I found another link that has a decent number of images. http://www.wiredreflexes.com/sr/shadowrun/gallery/index.php
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    I'm in! I'm thinking I might do the Wild Hunt or a ghoul
    Critter_Wild_Hunt.jpg

But I'm not 100% sure... so much to choose from
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since this is completely unofficial, I don't think starting new threads is a good idea unless you're going to do something with a small group of people like the guys who inspired this did. I think it'd probably be best to keep everything in this thread so there isn't clutter in any of the forums.
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Swizzle wrote: »
    no individual threads

Nah we're keeping all the WIPs in this thread

*edit* nevermind Swizzle beat me to it
  • PolyMonstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This sounds like a fun idea. Only RP themed thing I've ever dabbled with is more generic fantasy DnD varriants, models and entertainment wise.
  • Skibur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skibur polycounter lvl 5
    I'll have a go!

edit* Actually, I have no time... :(

edit* Actually, I'll have a go. I'm more interested in the Warhammer theme and it is two months after all..! I don't think I'll go all the way to 20k polys, but I'll try to make something cool nonetheless.

It will be a Tau mech of some sort.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    AWWW, hell. Haven't done any kind of challenge... or even any kind of low poly... since I almost finished my Dom War IV entry.

And this way my old character, Oni No Tsumaru (aka "Three Horn") will get a pic, finally!

Be prepared - for the motorcycle ridin' troll sumo wrestler physad!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DKK wrote: »
    Yeah yeah, I was just thinking It might get crowded.

I know this thread's going to get real cluttered real quick, but I'd rather just have one thread that's cluttered than an entire section of clutter. Maybe if this gets Adam's blessing or something, people can make some threads in the contests subforum.

Speaking of clutter, let's start adding clutter, shall we?

The idea at the moment is to make a punky elf chick with a huge handgun not unlike Hellboy's. Expect thigh-high socks, miniskirts and tattoos. Oh, and less shitty concepts. Well, hopefully.
    YkvFR.jpg

And here are a few of the refs I've been collecting:

kwbkz.jpg
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
    swizzle: hah love the Watchman reference
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So do it better than I do and all will be right in the world.

Also, bring it on, bitch.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    This could be fun, might sketch some stuff later see if I come up with any ideas... Not like I don't have 3 other characters to finish already... :D
    DomWarV starting or not might mess me up though.

Nice punk ref Swizzle, who's the chick on the top left? So tempting to do a sexy lady as well, but it's too close to another character I have going already, so might try to make some beefy muscle man instead, have never really tried that.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Yay awesome i'm in practice is always good :D
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    im in for this :D
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bloodmoon polycounter lvl 8
    I'm in ^_^ Have planed to practice characters for a long time now. But with this kicking me I'll get more done, I hope. Thanks for the great thread. Looking forward to see ppls char work.
    Cheers
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    GUYS STOP!!! Seriously. If you were to do this now and Polycount run an official contest later don't you think that this would just "JACK" things up a bit?

Seriously if you guys want a small character challenge then I'll put one together but let's not copy what the Fantastic 4 are doing ok.

Let me chat with the powers that be and see what can be done.

This wouldn't be a full blown contest but a challenge. As in no prizes! So....let me get back to you.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Yea I think do a different subject too as it takes all the fun out of what the big 4 are doing, they might aswell just enter this one otherwise, which would be a shame as I would like to see their thread and steal all their skills :)
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't do the shadowrun idea :(
  • khatake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't really see a point in copying the idea... The whole idea is ok but why the same subject ? Let them do it... For me it just sucks. Ruins their fun. Someone saw their thread and thought "Ohhh it would be great if we would do exactly the same...damn I'm genius". Nope it wouldn't be and nope you aren't.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I think Jesse has made a very good point.

Let's not turn this into a flame and troll war instead.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    khatake wrote: »
    Don't really see a point in copying the idea... The whole idea is ok but why the same subject ? Let them do it... For me it just sucks. Ruins their fun. Someone saw their thread and thought "Ohhh it would be great if we would do exactly the same...damn I'm genius". Nope it wouldn't be and nope you aren't.

kind of like saying the same thing 3 people before you just did :)

anyway i don't care about what subject , just get a challenge rolling where we can have some fun together.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Jesse.

And as a moderator, it's his sworn duty to ruin everyone else's fun.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    if you dont want to participate dont lots of us are. Dont ruin everyone elses fun. Gav/Spark/Hazard/Slipgate will be better than most of our anyways. If you dont like the idea and still want to do it make a new thread with a new theme/subject.

Anyways I should have some stuff to show in about 12 hours max

Hboybowen... I kinda think you are missing the point. Gav/Spark/Hazard/Slipgate started a thread with their own writeup, idea, etc. Why are you guys copying it word for word? Seriously. There has been talks over and over about a potential polycount challenge/contest in the very near future.

Hell I just said something about it a few posts above so why insist on just plowing ahead anyways? Is it not possible to just make art for the sake of making art? You need a contest or challenge to force you to do it? I like to see people getting excited about this sort of thing but let's not copy other peoples threads because we aren't original enough to come up with our own themes.

SO PLEASE STOP THIS IDEA and let us mods and admins put something a bit more official together for you guys.

Ok thanks

- The Official Destroyer of Fun

:)
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    I'm with Jesse on this one, I think that its cool that everyone's excited about what the four artists of the apocalypse are doing, but lets not steal their thunder guys....channel the excitment into whatever you are making at the moment and just post some great art.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Cheers fellas. As an alternative, I'd recommend groups of artists break off and do their own [Civil War] type thing with their own theme and own rules. It was suggested in our thread days ago, but there's nothing stopping small groups of people breaking off and doing their own thing and effectively accomplishing the same thing this bigger idea would - friendly competition with crits. :)
  • khatake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kind of like saying the same thing 3 people before you just did :)

anyway i don't care about what subject , just get a challenge rolling where we can have some fun together.

Heh forum ;p someone posts an idea some people agree some dont...you count them and smaller group looses :D Said the same thing coz I share the opinion. +1 to the pool of people who wants to at least change the main theme. Shoot me for that ;p Like Jesse said why word to word ? I don't get it why the same theme ? Its not like you can't come up with something cooler than Shadowrun. Jesse wrote everything what could be written in this subject.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    You guys do know there's a small 1-month-long Star Trek minicomp going on over at GA right? If you're feeling that itch, that's a good way to scratch it until the official PC comp (which I'm dying for btw).

/runforcover
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    You guys do know there's a small 1-month-long Star Trek minicomp going on over at GA right? If you're feeling that itch, that's a good way to scratch it until the official PC comp (which I'm dying for btw).

/runforcover

Does GA have some sort of notification system with mini-comps? I always seem to miss the start of them.

I'd like to challenge scoobydoofus and swizzle if they're interested.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If people are interested in doing a sort of art throwdown gauntlet then I will offer to set it up.

I'll come up with specs, a theme and draw the names.

A thread will be set up for EACH gauntlet of competing members. We can do groups of 2 or 4. What would you prefer.

This will not be anything official with challenges but a fun way to make some new art.

So let me know how you guys feel about this. I'm sure Adam will shoot me in the face but oh well.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Topic Suggestion ,

Modern Gods , take an ancient god from the Egyptian, Mayan or Greek culture and bring him/her into this era. You could choose to blend him or her in with a subculture like hades with goth for example. limitations would be to only use technology that is available today or parts of it and keep the ancient culture very clear while mixing it up with the modern.

just trowing it out there to see if anyone likes it :)
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    If people are interested in doing a sort of art throwdown gauntlet then I will offer to set it up.

I'll come up with specs, a theme and draw the names.

A thread will be set up for EACH gauntlet of competing members. We can do groups of 2 or 4. What would you prefer.

This will not be anything official with challenges but a fun way to make some new art.

So let me know how you guys feel about this. I'm sure Adam will shoot me in the face but oh well.

Hm, I'd prefer just to have everyone in the same thread like in PreDominance, or will everyone still compete against each other and the gauntlets are just for the sake of forum structure?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    JMYoung wrote: »
    Does GA have some sort of notification system with mini-comps? I always seem to miss the start of them.

I'd like to challenge scoobydoofus and swizzle if they're interested.

No, you just gotta keep an eye out for them. This one just started a couple of days ago though.

I really wish there was a system for those comps. I missed the Tron comp here on PC for that same reason. Just have a locked thread that people can subscribe to, and have a mod post there when a new comp starts. That way you get an e-mail every time.

And yeah, if doing a small mini here, I think one thread for the whole thing makes sense.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This isn't meant to be a big thing guys. It's a smaller scale type thing if you want to do this. Which is why i said each gauntlet or group will have their own thread. Much like the big 4 did. The title will be the 4 contestents names.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hello :)

Since this is an 'unofficial' challenge of sorts, organized by Swizzle, we'll keep it to ONE thread only for this challenge. If you would like to participate, then open your 3D app, read the rules and specs, and get cracking. It's as simple as that :)

Challenge yourselves, HAVE FUN, and enjoy some harmless competition.

As for something more official from Polycount: We're back to working on that now that the holidays are over.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and the chairman has spoken.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I'd very much like this! Is it still a possibility now that Adam has spoken?
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    So is the shadowrun setting still a go or is the theme being changed?
  • jocz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocz polygon
    does this official pc challenge start before or after those 2 unofficial ones ?
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Im confused as to whats happening now? groups of 4? everyone ? or...?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Jesse's right, I'd shoot him in the face.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, I love you all. Seriously. Love. With all my heart.

And by heart, I of course mean my penis.

Anyway. I just wanted to reemphasize something I put in the first post. I decided that the Shadowrun theme would probably be best for this because it lets people basically do their own thing while still having a bunch of references to fall back on. It also means that you can learn directly from the big four who are doing the same thing.

However, if there are enough dissenting opinions and you guys want something different, it's not like I have to change the thread title. If you guys are interested in a different theme and different specs to make this more distinct, then I'll gladly change the first post's info to reflect that. It seems like a lot of people would like to do something similar to what the big four are doing, though, so I'll let it go for a couple more days in its current form and if there's a deluge of people screaming "CHANGE NAO!!1!" then I'll change it. The worst that happens is that people lose a few days of concept work and the soft deadline gets pushed back a little.

Also, if you're interested in breaking into your own groups and doing your own like the big four, I don't think anybody (aside from maybe Adam or Jesse or whoever) will stop you.