Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WiP] UDK, Scottish Hills Cottage Environment

Hello Polycounters,
I've been lurking in these forums for a while now and figure why not post something that I'm working on right now!

I've just finished up an 8 month contract at Disney's Propaganda Games in Vancouver working on Tron Evolution. Tron was built on the unreal engine and this was my first venture into using it. I'm taking some time now to upgrade my portfolio a bit before go looking for new work.

This is cottage scene is my current project. It is something that I started about the time I began at Propaganda and shelved due to working too much :P I've recently resumed work on it again since I have the time now. Its already quite far along, but I will be updating this post as I take it to its final stage, and I will also show some screenshots of the progress on its way to getting where it is.

Its built to be seen from this one angle that I have right now. But I'm considering fleshing out some other areas of it to show it as more of a full environment. That would however take a lot more work and I'm not sure I want to spend that much more time on it. I may just want to start something new after finishing this shot. Either way, I do plan on taking some of the assets into a detailed finalized state, just to have some detailed assets to show separately out of the scene.

cottage.jpg

Some things on my todo list:

-New clouds in skybox that streak accross the sky instead of wrapping like they do now

-More branches on trees to make them more dense

-more detailing and reworking of large and small rocks

-Maybe some LOD trees in the distant hills

-detail out wagon wheel. (Its a temp asset right now)

-Maybe detail out the cottage. (It currently only has enough detail to be seen from this distance)

And now for some shots of how it got to where it is:

cottage_process.jpg

The reference for the cottage itself:

cottage_reference.jpg

Also, here's a site that I used for some terrain reference:
http://www.fife.50megs.com/Tour%20Glenshee%20Winter%20Scotland/index.htm

Replies

• Builder_Anthony
    Nice colors.Found this on page 5 must have slipped past everyone.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    wow, excellent work, and great breakdown of your process

this has a lot of potential but i still think its missing something. cant quite put my finger on it though. keep up the great work, ill be watching this thread for sure
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    wooooowwww digging this :) Loving the colours. Part of me digs the second last picture in your progression shot only because you have a bit more contrast in there which i think livens up the piece a bit more.

One thing I always love seeing when there is a scene with a nice big open sky like that, is birds. Birds (or bats if you want :P) can really help set some sort of movement with static shots, and I always feel like it can round out the scene a bit more.

You can take some of your taller grass and make some variations with some brown / yellow hues, to show some aging. Maybe look at some different plant life to add some colour as well. With shots like these, colour can play an AMAZING role in really setting a tone for the overall piece.

Now that I'm looking at it... red is coming to mind. Something subtle that will most certainly catch the viewers eye. Maybe there are some freshly places roses over a gravestone, or even a shotty grave (with the wooden cross as the "headstone").

I feel currently that you have no focal point for the viewer to go to. The cottage is great, but its not drawing my eye due to lack of contrast. If you're planning on making the cottage the focal point, brighten up that roof, add some more character to the building itself, tell a story.

I think for the most part your scene as a whole has some good balance, but I think its either missing something from the lower left of the screen, or some needed contrast in the upper right of the screen to really ground it.

Maybe all you really need is a red or yellow piece of ribbon caught on the wooden fence, blowing in the wind to help get some sort of story across, while also helping to create a focal point.

I'm really loving this scene so far, you have such a great template to REALLY push this into something memorable, and all you really need now is to tell the story.

I can't wait to see what you do with this.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Hey there!

I love how the scene turned out :) One thing that's kind of throwing me off just a bit is the placement of the leaves on the right side. Not sure if it's me but they look stretchie as you look towards the right side but it could be the camera view.

It'd be nice to see a nice close up shot of the cottage. Maybe add some foliage on the cottage? From the distance I see it at, it doesn't have any on it but just like your ref image, I like the vines and ivy going up on the cottage so yours could benefit from some stuff like that as well :)

The grass came out looking nice! Did you use UDK terrain editor by any chance?
  • Khalamea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really loving this piece so far! Wish I could see the breakdown of the textures and models though. I think JasonLavoie gave some great feedback that I don't want to just repeat. Besides what he said, I think maybe if you added more to the trail that leads to the cottage. Right now, it's just very clean dirt. Perhaps if you had some footsteps or unsettle the dirt to indicate that it's been walked on.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    very nice. i really love the breakdown of your concept to current progress.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    damn, really nice, I love scenes that are modeled to be viewed from a certain angle.
  • Braddish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey cool, someone bumped my post. I wasnt sure if it just got lost or no one cared, lol.
    Thanks for all the great feedback so far!

Jason,
    I think you are totally right about it needing that pop of colour. Thats what made the original concept work, and I need to bring that idea back into the composition.
    I agree that it should be red, and it should be in the forground. If I make the cottage brighter it will look strage, because the more saturated higher contrast stuff should be in the forground. I also like the red ribbon idea. Im thinking a torn piece of clothing as if someone ran through in a panic. Dirt footsteps can be kicked up along the path along with maybe something that she dropped... A basket with flowers or bread or something. Maybe its little red riding hood, who knows, heh.

3GL,
    I think those fallen leaves just need some work to blend them into the ground a little more. Maybe they need to be darker or just smaller. I'll have to play with it.
    As for a close up of the cottage, Im actually detailing it out right now, and going to make a few changes to it. I might add some of the vines too. Once I get it done I'll do a close up of it.
    I did use the terrain editor for the ground here. The main grass is placed with the folige system too. Other grass patches are placed as static meshes.
    I'll show a break down of how all the grass was done tomorrow probably.

I'll show some other break downs of how things are done in the coming days as I get time, and as I finish more things off. All in due time.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, its actually helped a lot already!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    awwww when i saw the thread title i was hoping to see like... connor macleud and his wives little cottage or something...

don't get me wrong, this is really nice, was just hoping for something more... i dunno, romantic? xD
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
  • CrackRockSteady
    i want to play this game.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome work, really inspiring.

New wallpaper on the ol pc :)
  • Braddish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I was going to try and make some updates in the scene today, but I installed new video drivers for Starcraft 2 and now UDK freezes my machine after 20 seconds of use :P

Instead, I will do a little show and tell on how the grass and bushes were made...

I did about 3 different typical grass card attempts using photo sources or photo reference and building it in photoshop and didnt like any of those results. Instead I decided to model all the grass and foliage in maya and render it all out into textures.

Bottom left is diffuse, bottom right is alpha

GrassTogether.jpg

Heres a couple close ups showing the models themselves:

Grass_CloseUp.jpg

Bush_CloseUp.jpg

This technique is nice for a number of reasons,

-It gives a perfect alpha'd edge all the time, theres no little nicks and dings in the texture that you get with photo sourced stuff. -When you use "alpha cut" (one bit alpha), any little imperfections in the alpha'd edges can become quite obvious and jagged looking. This technique avoids that.-

-Its resolution independent. I can render the texture off as big as I want

-I can render out AO, Alpha, Normals (if you want, I find normals dont look good on foliage)

-I can control the shapes and density of the foliage manually to get the exact look I want.

I then made card based grass assets using this texture. On the cards I used custom vertex normals, pointing the normals upwards so that the light that hits them matches the light that is hitting the ground under them. This helps blend them in with the ground.

The shorter grass was placed using UDK's foliage system, and some taller patches as well as the bushes were placed manually as static meshes.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have UDK working again and can make some updates to the scene.
  • Moonshank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moonshank polycounter lvl 7
    I really like this enviroment. :D reminds me of the paintings you find in the local gallaries down where iam from. Would be awsome if you could give it more of a watercolour feel to it in the postprocess. Needs more clouds and rain to truely be Scottish :P looking forward to seeing it finished.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    This enviro already looks hella-sweet dude, i love it. Can't wait to see more :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Love it! Have you thought about doing some more "3d" grass and foliage?

Love the hazie feel around the house
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Paint effects foliage in Maya is a nice way to get things going fast. It looks good.

There seems to be a lack of specularity on anything.

Your lighting might be effecting that. The lighting doesn't look bad. It is washed out and there is a lack of contrast in the lighting. Punch up the shadows in the lighting.

Also look into using the diffuse boost to get the colors a bit less saturated.
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Really digging this piece, i agree with some of the others that this definatly needs some more contrast the sunlight would hit that building pretty hard in my opinion like your refrence of the cottage.

Cheers for the insider tip on the foliage will definatly look in to that technique, so thank you!
  • Braddish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lighting changes and some detail work:

I tried enabling HDR Tonemapper in the Post effects. It really brought out the contrast. I had to adjust the lighting a bit because the HRD made the shadows a little too contrasty, but it brings a lot of life to the scene I think.

I put a red torn cloth in. I think it still needs some work to make it look more like a freshly torn off piece of clothing.

I also pulled the sun flare that is behind the house into view a little more so that it brightens up that side of the screen.

I threw some footprints down on the path too.

cottagev2.jpg
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Looks cool, though Scotland never looks like that, its much more dreary bleached color beauty. What you really need for authenticity is a couple o sheep shaggers in the background maybe? :)

Seriously though -
    http://scotlandtravelpackage.com/scotlandtravelpackage/wp-content/uploads/highlands.jpg

The above is not Scotland, its a postcard of Scotland.

When Scotland gets pretty it looks like the shots below, notice how they are still drained of color, pushing towards and old photographs sepia tone values? Theres always mist, fog or signs of recent rain ... its not Fable. There ARE autumnal colors a lot, but that ultramarine bounce light doesn't really occur much.

http://www.gairloch.org/scotland-hill-walking-trips-tours/scotland-highlands.jpg

http://www.lobl.de/grafik/gallerie/leicester/highlands.jpg

http://www.caravanadventures.co.uk/images/Highlands_3.JPG

http://www.conneryscottishwalks.co.uk/scottish_walks_background.jpg

Heres a shot where the light pushes through, similar to what you are doing, see how the colors go though?

http://photos2.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/7/2/8/a/highres_11849322.jpeg

some old houses

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_uGIdEqR4pw8/RxYjpXcGVbI/AAAAAAAAAPA/c9obWhGO-8o/IMG_0247.JPG

http://image57.webshots.com/157/5/32/5/2589532050056401727uzdZNd_fs.jpg

Nice example of the kind of stainage most brick / granite constructions in Scotland have

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cvQ3r0Al9Lc/TIECkh1pXqI/AAAAAAAABfY/dC6ucSA0wJo/s1600/ScottishRoyalPalaceGateHouse.jpg

http://static.rlclaw.co.uk/media/2010/Mar/courtsession.JPG

Maybe you aren't pushing toward this kind of realism, but if you are, hope the images help. It's still pretty as is, its just not Scotland!
  • Braddish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Kevin, thanks for the input!

You are totally right about it not being true to scotland at all. I kind of started the scene thinking of scotland, then started taking it away from that with the lighting. I probably shouldnt have written "scotland" on the title, its more of just a cottage on a hill somewhere, maybe Italy? Who knows
  • Moonshank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    . What you really need for authenticity is a couple o sheep shaggers in the background maybe? :)

haha think your mixing the Scottish with the Welsh here. Or at the least only thinking of people from Aberdeen.

But yeah those referencesss are pretty much the picturesque scene you’d find in brochures of Scotland. The area that iam from in Scotlanld looks slightly like what bradish portrayed. The only thing that I instantly picked up on was the building that is not very Scottish.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    I'm not a fan of the red cloth you added i have to say, it's way too vibrant down there surrounded by muted saturations. My eye keeps pulling back towards it all the time while im looking around the pic. Imo you should tone down the saturation or change the colour to something that's not as eyecatching, unless that's what you were after of course.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Hey there Braddish!

I absolutely love the scene. I'm a huge fan of greenery and natural looking scenes.

I'm writing this post to you because I currently am working on a organic kind of scene myself, a Japanese Zen / Stone garden, and will soon be in need of good foliage, grass, and shrubbery techniques.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79836

I especially paid attention to your post of how you used actual meshes as foliage in UDK.

If you could please elaborate even more, on your workflow from Maya to UDK, of how you put the foliage together?

Was it simply a matter of using paint effects? Or did you actually model and texture them in Maya, and then exported the stuff to be able to be used in UDK?

I'd imagine if it was paint effects, you'd just export the model as an .ase and render out the textures from the paint effects?

Thank you for any tips you could lend me!
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    I think the first shot is stronger then the last one you posted. I think you kinda overdoing the lighting and colors.
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very inspiring scene!!!
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    The red and the purple are very distracting to the scene. The cottage was your focal point, right? I like the idea of adding some torn cloth onto the fence, but it's currently far too saturated, and you can't place it in the center. It'll only draw attention away from the cottage.

I also think you're pushing the contrast a bit too much now, as well as the normals on the fence.

That's seriously it though, this is a fantastic scene so far.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i agree that its slightly too saturated for scotland...try removing the colour from the fog and lightrays first maybe a bluesih tone...also red rag...why not tartan

also you get strands of sheeps wool on fences
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is no rain. Ergo, that is not Scotland.

But on a more serious note, Kevin's right that those sky and ground colours are far too saturated to be Scotland. Think more "dreich" ;)
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    I don't know if it very Scotlandish, I never been there, but it looks good to me :poly124:

I don't have much to say. The overall glow is a bit strong.. everything is blurred. I also don't like the blurred clouds and this red piece of leather definitly need some love :)

'Love the colors, good job on this piece so far.
    Keep it up
  • Braddish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I changed the title. It is officially no longer in scotland. Its just an old home on a hill somewhere in europe. The purpose of this piece is just to create a pretty picture, not do anything location accurate.
    -Edit, I tried to change the title and it didnt let me :P-

tda,
    I think you might be right. Previously the scene needed something to pop out and thats why I added it. But the lighting now makes the building pop out more nicely so perhaps the red cloth is not necessary. I like that it brings a bit of a story into the scene, so I will probably just desaturate it.

tristamus,
    The grass and plant were not done with paint effects at all actually. I initially tried using paint effects for the foliage, but was not happy with the results. I actually modeled the grass and shrub manually. That way I was able to control exactly how they looked.
    I did texture them a with basic colours in maya so that I could render out a diffuse texture from there.
    It was like this

1. model and texture grass and plants
    2. render them out from an orthographic camera for the texture
    3. render them out again with final gathering and use this as an AO layer in photoshop
    4. Make typical grass cards and UV your texture to this accordingly (as seen in the image below)
    5. Point the vertex normals directly upwards so that they will light properly.

The left one is the asset for the shorter grass which I placed using the UDK foliage system. The right one is the taller grass, which I placed as a static mesh anywhere I wanted it (just used it in clumps).

GrassCards.jpg

In UDK you will want to set your material to be double sided and have the Blending mode set to "BLEND Masked".

Now with that said, I am having and issue with the vertex normals and Im not sure why... can anyone help with this?

The grass seems to be receiving light from one side and not the other, even though the normals are facing upwards. Heres a couple shots from Maya:

VertexNormalsProblem.jpg

This problems persists in UDK as well, as seen below. That grass should all be relatively the same value, but instead the fronts and backs of the mesh are being lit differently. When I view the scene in Lighting Only mode, it looks all good, they are all the same value. However, when I view it in Detailed lighting mode, or Textured and Lit, the backs of the grass go dark.

grassBad2.jpg

Have I done something wrong with the vertex normals, or is there a material setting Im missing?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moonshank: Ach ye ken the welsh say the same shite aboot us as we dae aboot them!
  • Jonsnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about this? Solution for 3DS mAx and Maya

http://wiki.polycount.com/VertexNormal?action=show&redirect=Vertex+Normal

I hope, it could helps you.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Braddish, I couldn't have asked for a better reply. That will help me immensely, to have the best looking foliage I can in my scene. Thank you SO much! =)

As far as your lighting problem, it may truly just be a limitation of the engine. You say that when in Lighting only mode, it's fine, but in Detail Lighting mode, it's not. I believe detail lighting mode shows off only normal map details, right? And possibly, it's something strange going on with the actual alpha map itself? Because if all your normals on the cards are pointing upwards, and it shows up fine in Lighting only mode, it just has to be something up with the alpha map itself (I'd believe). Hard to think of what it is.

Have you tried using other blend modes? Maybe it's something to do with a setting you had before you exported your alphas from Maya?
  • Moonshank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ kevin Johnstone: "Aye been" (local saying not sure if youll get it) Hehe shouldnt admit it thou ;)
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonsnow wrote: »
    What about this? Solution for 3DS mAx and Maya

http://wiki.polycount.com/VertexNormal?action=show&redirect=Vertex+Normal

I hope, it could helps you.

I totally forgot about Normal Thief!! =D

Give that a try Braddish.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoonShank: Always Been that way eh? Easy to work out as my Clan Motto is Aye Ready or Always Prepared
  • Moonshank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah pretty much some people dont get it.

Something else that might be effecting your grass is the lightmap for the static mesh iam not sure though just a thought. I havent used UDK enough to be sure that could be an issue or not probably isnt but you might want to look at it if that vertex normal thing dosent solve the problem.
  • Braddish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I havent updated this in a while, since I've been working a fair bit lately. But here is the newest version:

scene_v7.jpg

I painted new clouds in, so they are nice and strait accross the sky now. Also made adjustments to the lighting, bringing down the saturation and contrast a bit more.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Fantastic work Braddish :thumbup: Truly inspirational. I'm really liking the new lighting but I'm a bit bugged by those pitch black shadows in the foreground.

Not to say that they look wrong; I'm just wondering how the scene would look like had they been a bit weaker.

Another thing, I'm seeing that you are still having some issues with the grass. Have you tried setting the lighting model of your material to MLM_NonDirectional?
    I think it works great with grass planes. In addition to that, if you tweak the brightness/saturation of your grass via the material, so that it blends seamlessly with the underlaying terrain texture you might get even better results.

Good luck! Regardless of what I just said it looks great :) I would love to see some close up shots of the house.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    looks great. But the area to the right of the house looks very empty. You may want to add another tree?
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Great work so far, the composition and lighting is really nice :thumbup:
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    looks great. But the area to the right of the house looks very empty. You may want to add another tree?

I wouldn't say another tree is necessary, but maybe another mountain in the background, just to break up the horizon a bit more?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Very inspirational! Question! The trees, are the branches alphas or geo?

You can try the transmissionMask in the material for the grass.. Helped my tree making a while back..
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    I'd say it's fine as it is, I see no need to clutter every possible area of the composition, I love the way it's balanced but you need the blank areas for it to work. If anything I'd ditch the red cloth but that's just personal.
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To avoid the dark sides of the grass you can also use the MLM_NonDirectional lighting model. This basically just calculates lighting based on distanced and ignores direction which usually is fine for things like foliage.